It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, My name is Mike and am currently taking 35 mg a day of liquid methadaone, I have been doing this for 5 yrs and had a pill habit for a few years before that. I was at 60 mg 2 yrs ago and have been slowly dropping and have a appt with a suboxone doctor thrusday. I am excited and scared. The doctor will write me the intial script onmy first appt, and I am sure he will go over everything with me, I just really need this to work for several reasons,
I was wondering do I need to go to 30 to avoid pw or if I wait until I have sufficient wd symptmoms, will I be ok?
I have done 48 hrs before, but usually by 48 im feeling pretty bad, I was gonna try and wait until sometime that 3rd day to start suboxone,. I guess another question i have is, will I be able to work on day 4(2nd day on subs) I know it is impsooible to know, just trying to get any feedback to help with the transition. My insurance covers the cost of suboxone and even with pot positive on u/a I will only have to go twice a month. Thanks to all that read and respond. Thanks in advance for your time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HI

I made the switch from methadone to suboxone, about 16months ago. best thing I ever did. Be glad you are on a rather low dose of methadone, I think you'll be just fine to wait 30 hours.
I waited two days, and took some oxy, the day before to kind of take the 'edge' off. methadone has a really long half life, you probably already know that, LOL

anyways, I was taking way over 100mg a day, for like a year and half, so my induction was pretty rough. I tapered down two weeks before to about 80mg a day, but I still had days that I did a 'binge' couldnt help it, Im an addict, after all.
Anyways, the first two weeks was pretty rough, but totally bearable, and much, much better than cold turkey off methadone.
I think you'll be fine to work, just be prepared to sweat. you may want to take an extra set of clothes? i work construction, and I was REALLY sweating those first couple weeks.

I hope everything goes well for you, and Im sure as long as your feeling SOME w/d symptoms, you'll be okay. To be safe, you could always take something with a shorter half like the two or three days before induction. Becuz with oxy or something like that, alot of people are just fine to take suboxone 12 hours later.

just a thought.
BEST OF LUCK

be sure and keep us posted, on how things go!!!!!!

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:52 am 
Briginator, it will be unpleasant to say the least, I have done this a few times, I can help u do it in the least painful way, pm me if u want, il help you mate

Regardless, stock up on loads of lopermide, you will need it. Ii would also advise u get down to 20 mg meth first and always take your docs advice over anyone else's

Cheers

Homer :)

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:08 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi , I wanted to give an update to my induction. I came down on my dose of methadone 10 days ago to 30. Now I am planning to take my last dose of methadone tomorrow morning and I am gonna go as long as I can. Like I said I know I can go 48 and I am gonna try to go 72. My doctor said something regarding my induction that I wanted to run by the forum. It makes sense to me, I just really want this to work.
He didnt give me a cows scale, but told me that I needed to be sweating, have diaherra or have a runny nose. Then to cut an 8mg film into 2mg quarters. Start with 2 and if a little better in an hour, take another two up to 8. He is really wanting me to not go above 8 although he prescribed 16 a day at least for the induction. I dont think I will have a probelm with being on 8. I tell you as I dropped my methadone dose over the last couple of years I never felt bad at all. I just wondered if this sounds like normal protocol? I have no reason to doubt my doctor, I guess im just looking for reinforcement.
I did have another question. About 4 years ago I was at 60 mg methadone and I took an 8 mg suboxone to try and get high.
I know right. I did not know how it worked and obviously nether did the person who gave it to me. I took at 3, and I had bad wd all night but I made it through. I guess I didnt know what was happening so I dont remember it being terrible, I was definetly up all night jittery and stuff , I guess without the mental knowledge of being in wd's it didnt seem as bad. My question is could I have started suboxone the next day or would I still have to wait days? I know doctors cant advise someone to take one knock all the opiates off your brain , deal with horrible precip w/d and then start sub, just wondering if taking one will "clean" the recpetors of all methadone and could I have possible started subs the next day. Just a thought
Thanks again for the forum and your time for reading and responding. Hopefully by wednesday or thursdau I will be on Suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:00 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Actually group, i decided to stop one day early. So if anyone has any experience or help, I will be most appreciative. So as of right now 27 hrs since last does :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[font=Comic Sans MS]I have a very close friend who switched from methadone to suboxone. I wont give many details because a lot of people who know her and I, know who I am on this forum. But from her experience, and comparing it to yours, you should be fine. You and her were on the exact same dose, and she stopped 36 hours before inducing, without going into withdrawals.

She did end up on 12mg of sub, though. Not as low as 8, like your doctor would like, but everyone is so different when it comes to dosing. Some people are fine at 4mg, and some arent' fine at 20mg. So, it sounds like a good plan that your doctor gave you. I wonder sometimes if my doc had done it that way, if I'd be on a lower maintenance dose. He started high and went from there. Now I know that that was the stupid way to go. I just had no knowledge of how suboxone inductions were to go at that time. So anyway, IMO I think you'll make out just fine. Just stick to your plan, and don't take anything else between now and then....

Good luck to you, and def come back and fill us in on how it went for you! Oh, and welcome to the forum!!!!! :D [/font]

Post subject: induction
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:42 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well just wanted to give an update , been 72 hrs since my last dose. and i feel pretty bad, but my cows score isnt high enough so I guess im gonna wait. I really thought by now I would be in full wds, Help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:41 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey matey. You'll be fine. It's a tiny splice of your life to live in discomfort for a big reward. Sub gave me the craving management I got from methadone, without the feeling of my body being saturated with opioids that methadone felt like. Once you do induce, you'll be feeling pretty darn good.

Post subject: inductionit wa
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well group I wanted to give you an update, I took my fiirst sub at 3. It was 1/4 strip so 2mg. I took another at 4 and so far I feel really good. I am so happy to be on the flipside. Needless to say I had a few restless nights leading down to the last few days before my detox. It has made me realize that there are other things I can accomplish as well. Special thanks to
Amber 4, Homer, Goingstrong and Teejay. I am gonna try and keep my dose about 4mg but I will see. I may have to go higher if It doesnt hold me through the night. I will keep you guys posted

Post subject: The Switch
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:51 pm 

Congrats on the transition to Suboxone! I really like your doctors way of inducing with the smallest amount and working up. Mine was just the opposite. I was only taking Norco's and he put me on 3 8mg tabs a day. Way way too much. Maybe the medical field is starting to learn how to prescribe this drug and spreading the word.

So is your dose at 4mg's? If so, that is awesome because you will be able to easily taper down later if and when you decide to stop the Sub. Most of us who were induced with higher doses had to take our time over months to get down to 4mg's, and you are already there!

Once again, Congrats on making the switch and from here on in your life should be a lot better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:37 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Wanted to give an update and let everyone know, that the suboxone is working well. I couldn't quite mange 4mg, Right now 4 in the am and 4 in the afternoon seem to work. I might try and do the whole 8 and see if it will work all day. I was on methadone so long that I reallly like the am dosing only, as in that is what I am used to. Thanks again for all the support.
This forum helpled me SO MUCH during my weeks before and during induction. I am so glad that something like this is available. One good thing about the methadone clinic I came from, They have lifetime"aftercare" which means counseling. Which is great because I really liked and NEED the groups and didnt want to loose that. Anyway I hope you have a great weekend.