It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[font=Comic Sans MS] [/font]

Hello, my name is nick i am 21 and i am currently on 58 MG's (down from 140, at 5 mg a week) of methadone going to a clinic for the past 2 and 1/2 years. I feel a lot better then i did but still not happy. i am totally sick and tired of being a slave to methadone and in 4 months i am going to be facing a cut to my insurance and will no longer be able to afford the methadone, another reason why i am looking to stop. anyways, i have a doctor that is willing to perscribe me suboxone knowing my situation, under the circumstance that i get to 30 mg's before i am inducted. i am planning on going down 5 mg's a day until i get to 30 and then make the switch over to suboxone. i know all about having to wait 48-72 hours until induction, but i didnt know if it would make an easier transition if i were to switch over to a short acting opiate for a few days before i start the subs or if i should just wait as long as i can before taking my first dose. i have taken suboxone before i was on methadone and it worked well when i took it correctly. i just dont want to throw myself into un-needed precip. withdrawals... or face the possibility that the suboxone wont work well for me and i will relapse :( i dont want to stay on suboxone long term, i was simply going to use it for one maybe two months just to ease the withdrawal from methadone. any suggestions would be great :). i know i should be doing a slow taper down to 30 but i dont know how long this doctor will have an opening for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I wish I could be of more help to you.. It's been a good while since I made this switch and I sucked at it. I chickened out less than 24 hours after my last methadone dose and took sub.. I went into severe precipitated wds. It was the worse thing ever.. My only advice is to just wait as long as you possibly can. Make sure you have plenty of liquids on the house, just in case.

GOOD LUCK!! Don't do what I did. Hopefully someone smarter will come along and offer you some advice. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

owchie, sorry to hear that. i def will wait longer then 24 hours. i am planning on waiting until i am literally dying until i take it. i am still unsure what i should do. one side of me is saying to get on suboxone because i know it will be easier to taper off of. and the other part of me is just saying, "get your take homes and taper off methadone" but i know if i get my take homes i will never get off the methadone, i hate the way it makes me feel. no motivation, rotting my teeth out of my head (dont care what anyone says it does), dark bags under my eyes all the time, i look and feel like death. i know this is not going to be easy but something's gotta give. i cannot be addicted to methadone forever!!!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I can't really give you advice on what to do because only you know what you really need and what you're capable of right now. I know what you mean though, for me, methadone might as well have been my DOC. There wasn't much difference other than I was able to get it every day and relatively cheap.. so I could semi get life together while on it. It wasn't until I switched over to suboxone where I felt more normal than when I had been on methadone. But, you know the drill, this isn't your first rodeo. You're still on ORT and will eventually deal with the sub thing when you're ready. I do believe it's easier to taper on sub. I may be crazy, but I really think so.

Good luck with whatever decision you make!! Keep updating..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:46 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

no, your right. i really need to make a big choice right now... methadone is def. my Drug of choice. all other opiates will not even touch my cravings/sickness at this point. i am addicted to methadone, and it is hard to accept that. i love it and hate it at the same time, i like the way it makes me feel when i first take it, but hate what it does to my body and every other aspect of my life. it did help me to stop living the life style of a drug addict, but now i am stuck with a worse habit then when i started, just not using IV anymore. i am terrified of the thought of being on methadone forever, because it is not a solution. i really need to make my mind up fast tho because i dont have much time left to make this choice. it is either get take homes and worry about coming up with 90$ a week for how ever long... or doing the "right" thing and switching to suboxone. i just don't want to mess up my induction and go into PWD's. which i have experience before and it was hell. i understand everyone is different as well, i will stay in touch and let you all know what i end up doing.