It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

just so you know, I have a long history of relapsing.

I've been going to the methadone clinic for 4 months now and my dose was comfortable at 75mg.
anyways I quit cold turkey and went to the suboxone doctor to get some subs

I told the doctor that I was on 30mg of methadone and I was in 3days of withdrawal just so I could get the subs now because I had the money for the doctor and the perscription, and trust me If I didn't go out and get the suboxone now I would eventually spend that money on dope or some stupid shit and relapse again and be back at the clinic.

So my questions are..

How long do I have to wait to take suboxone without having ANY pwd's and what dose should I start out with

I've been trying to find this out for a while now and I heard of some chick doing the same thing switching from 75mg of meth to strait buprenorphine but i have suboxone not subetex so will this be a problem?

I dont want it to be to early and the nalaxone to pull all the methadone out of my receptors and me go into severe wd's

cause right now i have mild wd's and im on my second day from the clinic but its getting worse hour by hour

Please let me know when i can take my subs!

thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

First of all, suboxone or subutex it doesn't matter, you could still have precipitated withdrawals. Unfortunately, your doctor could have made it more comfortable for you to make the switch, because a methadone to suboxone transition is tough. Normally it's best to switch from methadone to a short acting opiate (like vic or oxy) for a week or two in order to get the long-acting methadone out of your system so the sub induction goes more smoothly.

What you'll need to do is stop taking the methadone for long enough to be in mild to moderate withdrawals. It's not HOW LONG you've been in withdrawals, it's HOW BAD they are. Here's the Clinical Opiate Withdrawal Scale (COWS) to assist you in determining when you are in bad enough withdrawals to start sub: http://www.naabt.org/documents/cows_ind ... _sheet.pdf

Unfortunately you may have to be in withdrawals up to 2 or so days. It varies and no one can say for sure. But generally, when people transition over it takes a bit longer than it does for short-acting opiates, that that's not written in stone.

I'd suggest you go through the induction section of this forum and look for some threads about transitioning from methadone to suboxone. Look for appropriate subject titles. That might help you a lot.

I hope this helps you. Ask as many more questions as you have. We're here to help you. We'll do our very best to try to get you through this with the least amount of withdrawals.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for shedding some light on this I've been looking for answers all day. I do not have access to any short acting opiates, so that being said, about how long will it take before I am able to take the suboxone 1,2,3 weeks? etc. and what dose should I start out taking when I am able, thank you so much.

-pure.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've done the switch from methadone to Sub, though I was on 40-50mg. Doctors are supposed to transition at 30mg, but mine felt confident enough to handle switching at the higher dose.

My memory's a bit foggy cos it was a rough period in my life. But I think I had my last dose of methadone in the morning, had NO opioids the next day, then induced on Subutex the afternoon of the next day. So I'd spent over 48hours without dosing before being induced.

My doctor did also start me on Subutex for two days. His thoughts were that any small amount of naloxone absorbed could only make the precipitated withdrawal worse, even if the role was minor. And the idea is to make the transition as smooth as possible. Even though I had Subutex, I still had some PW. Most of the PW comes from the buprenorphine anyway.

Because you were taking 75mg - I'd wait at least another day on top of that. ie 2 FULL days without methadone before switching.

And even though I waited the proper amount of time, I still had some PW on the first day. So it's not an entirely painless process. But it sure is worth it.

ALSO, start with small doses of Suboxone. Maybe 2mg - wait a bit to see how you're feeling - then another 2mg a few hours later when you feel comfortable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:55 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I also went from methadone to suboxone. I was on 50 mgs of methadone and decided I wanted to make the switch to subs. The doctor who prescribed my suboxone told me i needed to be in moderate withdrawals before I started my subs, and we made an appointment 4 days later for me to come back into the office to get my first suboxone prescription.
I took my last dose of methadone on a Thursday morning, and started subs on Monday morning. Friday with no methadone wasn't too bad. On Saturday afternoon, things started to get a little uncomfortable... Sunday was also pretty uncomfortable, but at no time did I feel like I was in Hell because I knew that what i was feeling was going to be short lived - so I guess you could say I didn't have any terrible psychological withdrawals like i had back in the day when I couldn't find any oxy.
The time frame for someone to be off of methadone prior to sub varies on the individual. Because of the long half life of methadone, my doctor recommended at least 3 days. However, it all depends on how YOU feel. And when you think you are finally withdrawing enough to start the subs, I would take my dose incrementally to avoid any precipitated withdrawals, just in case you're not ready. If you take a quarter of what you're prescribed and you start to feel worse, do not take anymore. If you feel better, then you can probably take the remainder of your dose.
I would think you would need at least 48 hours, but i'm just guessing. Also, be prepared for it to take a little while to feel stable on suboxone after methadone (maybe 5-7 days). I was still kind of sweaty and "not quite 100%" for about a week after I started subs after methadone...but it wasn't anything horrible (at all). After that, I felt great.
Good luck to you! I wish you the best!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah true Jen me too. I was sweating out the methadone for a couple of weeks after, even though Sub was masking the other withdrawals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:31 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

well i took my last dose of methadone friday morning so its been a little over 48 hours since my last dose. Although I still do not think im ready to take the suboxone. Last night was pretty bad but nothing hellish the only thing that bothered me was I couldn't sleep for shit cause of sweating, hot&cold flashes, and restless leg syndrome.

I keep checking my eyes and there not really dialated yet but there not pin point anymore. So with that being said, If I don't go into full withdrawal soon I might wait 1 full week before induction to suboxone but my withdrawls are getting worse by the hour so who knows.

What I'm wondering is that methadone has a half life of 15-60 hours and I was at 75mg then in about 3 full days (I should be around or under 30mg correct? eh.. I dono I'm confused part of me kind of wants to force my self into pwd's because I have heard of people feeling like total hell for 24 hours but the next day it wears off or maybe ill just wait i dono

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

alright well i did the math wrong Its actually been over 72 hours since my last methadone dose of 75mg.
anyway, today at 1pm I took 2mg of suboxone I don't care about the pwd's I just wanna get this over with and feel normal again.

so anyways I took the 2mg strip and yep you guessed it.
BAM! Full on pwd instant sweat start pouring off my face and my stomach made this weird noise and I ran to the bathroom just in time to puke my guts out till i was dry heaving.. I flush the toilet put my hands on the sink nearly loosing balance because of how weak I was, I looked in the mirror and it looked like i dropped 10 hits of some needlepoint LSD or ate a quarter of shrooms or some shit it was crazy I could barley see my iris in my pupil . Whats weird is its 3:09pm and the pwd's are wearing off its weird they didnt last that long I mean it hit me HARD FULL ON and then it just subsided Should I take 2 more mg of suboxone and see what happens? I mean what are the chances of me going into pwd again u know?

I keep hearing people say " once PWD hits it wont get worse and its just a matter of time before you feel better

well i do feel a lot better than what I was feeling like I mean I was litterally sobbing balling my eyes out when the PWD kicked in it was weird like instant Anxiety panic attack mixed with the worst withdrawls of my life it was horrible but it subsided now what?? should i continue not to take suboxone or what idk im confused

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

just took 2 more mg wish me luck! hopefully i wont go into pwd the second time

whats weird is at first i could feel the suboxone smashing the methadone off of my receptors it was like ice then a chill went down my spine and once it got to the bottom of my spine it was like an atomic bomb of the worst withdrawal of my life but it didnt last long

another thing.. i do feel A LOT better than i did last night and after i did a couple hours ago when i was having pwd thats the whole reason why i took 2mg more. ill keep yall updated thanks for the help and support! this site is awesome it defenitally helps talking to people that know what im going through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

its been about an hour.. no PWD this time woooooooooooooo!!!, im just running a really really high fever and I have a HORRIBLE HEADACHE besides that I am starting to feel better especially with the help of cannabis without marijuana I honestly don't think I could of gone through this, anyways I might take another 2mg suboxone before bed depending on how I feel well ill continue to update thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:28 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Sounds like you're starting to feel a little better. I know I mentioned this before, but it might take a little time for you to totally adjust to the subs since you were on methadone prior to. You'll definitely feel better than you did while you were withdrawing from methadone, but you might be a little sweaty. Or alot sweaty. And then you might start to feel REALLY good - but then that wears off too, and you just feel normal. Hang in there!
I would think that by tomorrow, you could probably start taking your subs as directed and you'll be fine. I'm drawing this conclusion based on what you've said and the fact that its already been 72 hours since your last dose of methadone.
Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:58 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thanks jen, its 4:48am now and I just took my first 8mg Dose and my withdrawals are GONE not even a hot/cold flash the only thing that is bothering me is my legs, besides that I think I will be fully stable from now on on 8mg of suboxone which gives hope to those that are on high doses of methadone sure I had PWD symptoms but they didnt last long. Maybe its me, maybe its just the way my brain adapts to opiates who knows everyone has different effects from drugs thats why everyones drug of choice is different ;p anyways I hope this thread gives those hope that are coming off of high doses of methadone and switching to suboxone or those who can't taper off of methadone for other reasons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

WOW sounds like you had some nasty precipitated withdrawal there! That's why people are meant to switch at 30mg - not 75!!

Everyone I know who switched from methadone to Sub had a degree of precipitated withdrawal. For me, I wasn't well enough to work / hang out with people or anything. It was too anxious tripped out and painful state to leave the house. But your case sounds like something else. I'm sorry the transition wasn't as smooth as it coulda been.

In the end it'll be well worth it. In maybe 2 days you might notice feeling some of those emotions that were drowned by the methadone. It's a good moment.

Now the real thing is finding the right dose of buprenorphine to hold your cravings. If you were stable on 75mg of methadone, you will need a higher daily dose. What does your doctor say?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:45 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

:shock: I have been following Suboxone Talk, on and off, for several years. I am the family member of a person with no income, and a single parent of young child. Our state has some medical coverage for the poor, but it is limited to a methadone program, which has daily visits. Daily visits, for 2 years. Some visits short, some visits long, with no notice.
As the 2 years have gone by, the person in treatment has managed to return to college, and done well. Participation in the methadone program has been in conflict with the non drug world on many occasions. Since I am the grandparent and care for the young child, this also negatively impacts my work schedule.
We have discussed and explored transferring to a Suboxone option. As mentioned on this site, the Drs. are limited.
The Oregon Health Plan does not cover any suboxone programs. The methadone programs, as they operate in our state, must cost a tremendous amount of money. Once in a program, it seems to make transistion to anything almost impossible.
The suboxone option, if we can pull it off, will be alot of money. No insurance. If the Dr visits are $425, and required several times in the beginning( 3 to 4 visits in first month), and then monthly; and the medication $300-400 if lucky; and UA's are $100 monthly.......... What college student, on food stamps with a child can afford this?
Being ready to transistion to Suboxone is more than a desire to leave the drug world behind. Even discount drug programs for people without insurance are not open to anyone with a medical card.
Suboxone seems so logical. Why is it impossible to access the treatment at an affordable cost? If the individuals at the methadone clincs were required to try suboxone, and the visits were monthy rather than daily, it seems the cost savings alone could serve more people.
My small retirement allows me to keep a roof over my child and grandchild. Figuring out how to finance mental health treatment, after a mortgage($1000 monthly) and medical insurance ($1350 monthly) seems difficult. When you buy a car, it is required that all costs are posted up front. Why is it so hard to buy any medical treatment?
If a UA determines if the methadone is out your system, and it is time to start the suboxone, would it not make sense to run the UA first, before an office call, to eliminate the office visit charge? Telling a patient to come back in a week, at a cost of another $425, seems unreasonable. And what are the options? If you have found a doctor, you dont dare object to an excessive non visit, or you are out of a Dr.
Any suggestions on making this process a bit more humane, would be appreciated. Reading about possibilites on this website is great, trying to find them is so difficult.
Thanks,
Diane