It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hey all, i am thinking of switching to methadone from buprenorphine. i have been on subs for about 3 years now, for the first year & a half it was 2mg/day, then a couple months at 4mg/day, a good few at 8mg/day, a few more at 12mg/day and now 16mg/day for the last week. bupe has CHANGED my life and pretty much saved me from what seemed like hopeless cravings. i think it still does help with my cravings, but unfortunately i and my doctor think the high dose is causing anxiety, which in turn is causing cravings. yes, i think if the methadone requires a schedule that conflicts with my current work and life, my next step will to just get back down to a bupe dose that doesn't give me anxiety.

however, my question for you guys is about the initial switch from bupe to methadone... as dr J has told me, because of bupe's long half life, other opiates are partially blocked for 3-4 weeks after it is stopped. so, if i were to get on methadone tomoro, would i even be able to feel it? or maybe they could put me on a high enough dose in which i'd feel it? i don't want to go 3-4 weeks without having something to help my cravings, not a smart idea haha. also just to vent, i freaking hate how methadone can't be prescribed unless it's for pain. the clinics around me are so damn expensive and so inconvenient.

anyone else have experience going from bupe to methadone?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I just switched from suboxone to methadone. It took 10 days from my inital intake to the day I got dosed which was suprisingly fast compared to what ive seen. I started taking suboxone last may to get off heroin/oxy, and except for a handful of slips ive been clean that time, last slip was 6 months ago. About 4 months ago I got perscribed suboxone for the first time, I had been getting it off the street for nearly a year. I was on 4mg a day when I was getting it myself, and it worked amazingly well for me for months, like it was great. Better for me than anybody else I knew taking it. Completely erradicated my w/ds from high dose heroin and made me feel good. I was started at 12mg when I got perscribed then bumped up to 16mg a few weeks later since it was wearing off much faster than usual. Over the last 6 months or so the subs havent been working anywhere near as well for me. In the last 2 months I was loosing it... I was sick 2 hours after, sometimes 1 hour, after I took a sub. It was horrible... I couldnt deal with it anymore I knew I was going to relapse and throw away 6 months of clean time. So I decided to switch to methadone. It was a lot of paperwork, my doc had write letters saying he wouldnt perscribe suboxone, blah blah. They told me originally at the clinic that I would have to get the suboxone completely out of my urine, which wasnt possible for me I wouldnt have been able to. So I kept pressing on about it and talking to them and eventually they just said alright, which is really suprising because everybody else I knew who went there, script or no script, had to get clean from the subs. I stopped ~36 hours before my first dose just to make it work slightly better... Now as far as the inital methadone dose, they wern't able to start me on anything higher than 30mg for the first 3 days... and thats nowhere near equivalent to 16mg of suboxone. Its been rough, I'm on day 4 now and today they gave me 40mg, ill be up to 50mg on sunday and I have to stay at 50 for 5 days after, and Im really hoping 50 starts to help because right now I'm in w/ds, not insanely bad, but my pain is thru the roof. I have severe tooth damage, every one of my teeth is open and ruined, they all need to come out. The pain is literally unbearable... I never realized suboxone did as much for pain as it did. I thought it was useless for pain but it actaully does a LOT more than you think when your off it. It made the pain of having a mouth full of dying teeth with the roots still in them bearable. Now its insane. The low dose of methadone isnt lasting more than 6-8 hours pain wise, maybe 15-18 hours w/d wise and its still not killing them completely. BUT it is getting slightly better each day from the buildup and the slow dose increases. And I can already feel like its working better for me than suboxone. I just need to be on an appropriate dose, a 16mg a day sub tolerance after being on it for over a year is higher than most people think. Anyways I dont mind going there daily, I get to smoke weed here which I couldnt do at all at my sub doc (really helps me)... Cant drink but thats ok, or take benzos which I couldnt on subs either, their both realllllyyy strict about benzos. I know I made the right choice, for me, to go on methadone. Everybody is different and subs are better for some while methadone is better for others. For me, methadone isnt that much harder for me to get off than subs, subs are a bitch for me due to the length, worse than heroin by far... I dont plan on coming off methadone though, possibly ever. I had a bad, length habit mixed with other things going on and I dont see myself being able to be off maintanence, at least not anytime remotely soon. Also, suboxone for me did one thing very well from the start, which was kill my cravings. I never had cravings on subs, hopefully the methadone works as well for me as they did in that aspect, but the w/ds I was having every 2 hours allday everyday for months was unbearable I wouldnt wish that upon anybody.. sucks too because it worked so incredibly good for the first few months. The last month on it was absolutely brutal. If you stop taking the subs for at least a day before the methadone you'll feel your first dose... I was on subs for 15 months and I skipped the day before and still felt my first dose from being on 16mg of subs a day and it was only 30mg of methadone. I cant wait to get my dose higher because I just want relief, this whole thing has been a rollercoaster ride. Another thing my clinic needed was proof of addiction over a year or else they could only place me in a 90 day detox program. Fuck. That. I just went over a year on suboxone which barely any progression in my treatment, getting me sick, taking 30 days to get me stable on methadone, then ripping me off before Im even clean from subs isnt going to help me... I didnt have the paperwork. I never tried getting clean before this year, and everything that happened last year was on the street, no doctors involved. I pretty much begged them I was like this is the only clinic in the area (their all run by the same company with the same restrictions) so I had literally NO other option for clinics and this one is only 3 mi from my house. Also that subs wernt working, so there was nothing else for me to try... detox wouldnt have worked, id have been in the same place when I got out, plus they wouldnt take me because I didnt have any heroin in my system at the time just subs... I had a dentist that cut me off of vicodin and percocet after I was calling at odd hours, calling the pharmacy incessently trying to see if my scripts ready, etc... just addictive behavior, and had him write up a letter about that to see if it would help... Well I go in this monday for my first dose, and they said I was in the maintance program ( even they were like congratz because here its pretty hard to get into, especially if you havent been in treatment before a year its a big thing here) and I was so pumped... they didnt even see the letter yet. The only 1 other clinic around 5 times further from my house, not currently accepting new patients, and I have a protective order from a patient there and they didnt want to coordinate it, so I was fucked if this clinic didnt take me for MMT not detox. I was so incredibly relieved when I go accepted and got into MMT that was the last obstacle. I almost flipped because when I went in there monday I took a urine test and 3 minutes later they come back saying well heres the problem. I cant dose you becuase you still have suboxone in your system and youll go into withdrawl... I said no, you wont, thats only if I take a sub AFTER the methadone. I can take subs for 10 years then take methadone with no problem, its after. And I said we disscussed this thoroughly that I understand your risks and concern but I cant do it like that, I literally wouldnt make it 1-2 weeks to get it out of my urine w/o using. So this other lady comes over and says "they said no" I was like wtf, then she said "I mean yes, they said yes" which was the greenlight to dose me. Some paperwork, PPD for TB, bloodwork, physical exam, bunch of questions, and a picture for an ID card later and you get dosed, at least thats how this clinic works. Took 10 days from the inital intake which was all paperwork and a urine test. Good luck hope this works out for you, make sure you want to do this because it is a lot of work its not just a breeze switching, it will take effort, and if you decide its not working as well for you which is possible, methadone isnt better for everybody, then you cant just go back to subs, youd have to abstain for 3-10 days depending on how long/much methadone you were on. So just make sure youre certain thats all. Luckily I can already tell its working better for me. Sorry for all the rambling, if you have any questions or want to check in with me as I get thru the beggining to give you tips or advice PM me. Im on day 4 right now. Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:55 pm 

Desurion, I'm going to leave this for now, but we discourage people from copying and pasting your message into different posts. Could you please stop doing that?
Thanks,

Amy