It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello, I'm pretty new to this sight and to suboxone. I want to change doctors because my current sub doc doesn't take insurance. I'm paying her currently 250.00 dollars a visit and it just doesn't make sense to have medical insurance and not use it. My question is do I have to go back through the induction process and what procedure do I have to go through to switch doctors? Thanks for your time and feedback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It depends on the doctor. Many times, doctors will not work with someone who is already in a Sub program - you may get lucky though. There is no need to re-do an induction if you are stabilized on the medication- but every doctor does things differently. Finding a suboxone physician in your insurance network may be tough, I suggest looking into a psychiatrist that concentrates on addiction. You can do usually do this online when you pull up a list a docs in your area. Either that or go to the physician locator:
SAMHSA Buprenorphine Treatment Locator

Good luck to you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:33 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Shelwoy is correct in that it really does depend on the new doctor. Although you don't need a re-induction, some will insist on it. In addition to the physician locator she gave you, there are three others that I'm aware of, they are NAABT.org, suboxone.com, and suboxone-directory.com.

I found my current doctor on one of those sites and he also happens to be a family doctor and he takes my insurance. So for me it's just like seeing any doctor, $15 office co-pay and $20 co-pay for my meds. With any luck you can find someone like that as your new sub doc.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. And welcome to the site! We're glad you found us.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Are you saying that if I'm already on the suboxone program with one doctor it might be hard to switch to another suboxone doctor that is already practicing suboxone treatment? I'm kind of confused on that when i hear that other people switch doctors all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There are a lot of factors in finding a new sub doc. I jsut went through this process and I have my first appointment with my doc on Tuesday. I calld 28 doctors and found only two that took my insurance one was maxed at number of paitents and the other had a two month waiting list....I got everything from $600 for mandatory re-induction to $150 a month- everyone was cash only......it really was discouraging. The key is to find a large family practice with lots of doctors to see if they have someone that is able to prescribe suboxone. The other is to find a psychiatrist preferably that speicalizes in addiction. You may have no problem finding a doc. You may also share what sate or major city is near you and maybe someone on here knows of someone. That is how I got this doc from another member here. in my search I havefound that many doctors prefer cash when dealing with this medicine...this is a question I can not understand as it does not make sense but for some reason this is a somewhat controversal topic. The key is don't burn the bridge with your current doc until you find a new one. Also be sure and ask if the doc practices long term maintenance as I found some who only do it for detox purposes........Good Luck and keep us up to date.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

ReRaise wrote:
There are a lot of factors in finding a new sub doc. I jsut went through this process and I have my first appointment with my doc on Tuesday. I calld 28 doctors and found only two that took my insurance one was maxed at number of paitents and the other had a two month waiting list....I got everything from $600 for mandatory re-induction to $150 a month- everyone was cash only......it really was discouraging. The key is to find a large family practice with lots of doctors to see if they have someone that is able to prescribe suboxone. The other is to find a psychiatrist preferably that speicalizes in addiction. You may have no problem finding a doc. You may also share what sate or major city is near you and maybe someone on here knows of someone. That is how I got this doc from another member here. in my search I havefound that many doctors prefer cash when dealing with this medicine...this is a question I can not understand as it does not make sense but for some reason this is a somewhat controversal topic. The key is don't burn the bridge with your current doc until you find a new one. Also be sure and ask if the doc practices long term maintenance as I found some who only do it for detox purposes........Good Luck and keep us up to date.

Jim

Yes for sure i don't plan on moving to a new doctor until I'm secured with a new one. I live in the New Orleans area so if anyone knows of a sub doc that takes insurance please let me know. Thanks for all the feedback

Post subject: Induction Do - Over ????
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:12 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi cocobee06,
Hello & Welcome to the Forum. Others have pretty much given you all the info that I would have But I just want to add my Take.. I have been very Lucky with my Suboxone Dr.. I have had the same Sub. Dr. for the 17 Months that I have been in treatment. He is in the same building (Clinic) as my Primary Care Dr. so it makes it very convenient I am also the longest running Subox patient in the office.. So I cant offer up any experience on switching Drs' But as far as the Induction goes. I don't see any reason if you are on a regular does of suboxone that you would have to put yourself through the induction phase??? that would mean stopping your pills, putting yourself into moderate W?D's, And then starting over???? I can see the new Doc wanting some tests done to prove levels and any other drug History but that's about it... Well I've yacked enough. I wish you luck and hope you keep us updated on your progress!! Take Care...

God Bless
TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:01 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Taking a suggestion from one of the posters in this thread, Does anyone have any good experiences with a Sub doctor near the DFW Texas area? I'm looking for one that doesn't require many visits and doesn't cost much, as I don't have insurance. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:07 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Try calling some psychiatrists in your network, you'd be suprised how many are able to script suboxone but don't advertise it. My doctor, over 4 years now, is a psychiatrist and only has 10 suboxone patients. He is not on any of the doctor locators on-line but will take a patient if they are reffered. Your insurance should have a list of psychiatrists in your area. Good luck.