It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:30 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Forgive me if this has already been posted. I'm new to using the forum/site. If it's able to be moved, feel free to.

My dilemma....I have been on Subutex without the Naloxone for about one year. I was laid off last week for the next month so I'm not able to afford my regular Dr who's $350 monthly. That's not the medication even either. So I decided to find a cheaper doctor not far from my original Dr. He is $250 cheaper! The bad part is that I did not have the woman balls to tell my regular Dr this. The new doctor only prescribes Suboxone Films. I tried them last Spring 2015. I was do sick on them. No other opiates in me! I've now been in them about one week. I've semi adjusted but its so not the same. I take two 8mg tablets of Subutex a day normally. I feel now on the films that I'm not getting hardly anything. I also spit after hold the film under my tongue, acquiring spit in the mean time. I swish, etc. Spit after a good twenty minutes. The side effects are still blah but I force myself to be OK.

I only have enough Suboxone until next week. I don't know if returning to my old drs an option if the new Dr contacted them for my info. I fudged up I know. He was such a good doctor but he didn't offer anything I could afford. I certainly couldn't just go without the medicine.

I even have tried a few drops of high proof liquor under my tongue with the films to maximize BA. Or using mouth wash. Maybe I'm still not doing something correctly but I don't feel like its working. Any advice I could get I would greatly appreciate!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I tried spitting my Suboxone a couple of times. And both times I ended up sick with withdrawal by evening time. In other words, I absorbed substantially less buprenorphine as a result of spitting. If you read the studies, a small but still significant portion (it was a while ago, but I think 20-30% ?) of buprenorphine is absorbed in the stomach, so you're cutting out that portion by spitting.

I'd try swallowing your subliva a few times and see if that helps.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:59 pm 

If ur Dr only prescribes suboxone then I doubt it'd matter if u asked to be put on subtext. He might, it'd definitely be worth asking regardless though. My Dr doesn't prescribe anything but suboxone either, if someone gets pregnant while on treatment, they get transferred to a neighboring clinic that does subtext (never understood why but that's just how my Dr does it for some reason). Maybe u need a little more time to adjust to the suboxone. And like teejay said, maybe stop spitting out ur sub and see if that helps, ur body will eventually adjust I hope. I know it's gotta be frustrating though, it sucks when u have to change what's working for u to something else just because of the price of this treatment. I know all about how expensive it can be.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you both. I was told to spit if the naloxone bothered me but I'll try to swallow instead to see if there's a difference.

Oh and they don't put pregnant women on suboxone because the naloxone is harmful to their unborn child. When I first started I was pregnant with my now 1 year old son. A cesarean birth wasn't fun lol. No pain meds touched me. I drew the line at trying fentynal. Tylenol and sucking it up. Anyways I'll try the swallowing with my next dose and report back on how it went.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:51 pm 

Hey Finally Me :)

Yeah I know subutext is only for pregnant women and ppl who can't tolerate suboxone. The only thing that confuses me is why some doctors, like mine, that prescribes suboxone but doesn't subutext. If someone gets pregnant at my clinic, they have to transfer to a neighboring clinic for it. I'm sure there's a reason but I have no idea what that reason is lol. Btw I'm pretty sure I'm spelling subutext wrong but I'm too lazy to go look for the exact spelling ;) sorry about that.

I hope u do get adjusted to suboxone though, I know it has to be frustrating!