It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:28 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello all. My name is Braden, I had an account here before but I forgot my password. I started subutex today after about 2 months on suboxone. I was hoping to quit the suboxone within 2 months but I started to have a lot of anxiety and even some panic attacks so I upped my dose from 0.5 mg a day to 2mg a day. I started out at 2mg a day in the beginning. Even at 2mg a day the suboxone wasn't helping me calm down, even after my dose I would feel weird. I ended up in the ER and had a panic attack over the weekend, they gave me IV ativan and I calmed down. They set me up with an appointment to see a psychiatrist through the military because my father is a retired vet so I still am covered under TriCare insurance, he gave me a script for 0.5 mg klonopin and 10mg paxil. That was 2 days ago on monday. I didn't take the paxil or klonopin because I also had an appointment with a new psychiatrist that could prescribe buprenorphine. I wanted to talk to him first before taking any benzos because my old doc at the methadone clinic that got me on suboxone in the first place told me it was very dangerous to mix the two. Which I know is true but for someone like me when the anxiety is so bad that I can't even swallow food I needed something. Well the new doctor I met was very cool and understanding. He told me that it was weird I was starting to get so much anxiety even when I upped my suboxone dose again so he said that I might have bad reactions to the naloxone and he wanted me to try subutex for a few days then come back and see him to see if it helped. He also gave me a script for 1mg klonopin incase my anxiety got worse or I had panic attacks. He doesn't have a problem with his patients mixing the two as long as we follow the correct dose. He told me to just toss the paxil because of the bad long term effects it could have. So today I took my first dose of subutex and I have to say I feel a lot better then I did on suboxone! I took the same 2mg dose and I actually feel kind of how opiates used to make me feel which I started using to fight my anxiety so I haven't even had to take any klonopin. I'm very pleased with my switch from suboxone to subutex! If anyone else is feeling weird from suboxone they should talk to their doctor about switching. I know most doctors are very uptight about subutex but in my experience it is a lot better then suboxone. I do have one question for you all though, does anybody have experience mixing bupe with a low dose benzo for their anxiety? I am hoping I can safely take my klonopin on an as needed basis for whenever I am anxious or have to be in situations that cause me to be more anxious. Sorry for the long post, but I am feeling good and wanted to share my experience with you all. :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:41 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi & Welcome to the forum! I also experience anxiety & panic attacks, so sorry you have them also :(

I was on suboxone (now zubsolv) and use benzo's so far without any problems. I do take them exactly as the doctor told me to. Since the switch to Zubsolv i feel better than i did on sub films. I have asked my doctor to switch me to subutex but he won't so far.

Paxil is a good medication for depression with severe anxiety so the ER doc was doing the right thing BUT it is just as bad getting off Paxil (from what people have told me) as it is getting off opiates.

If you feel you can take the benzo's only when the anxiety is bad you will avoid getting addicted to those. Seems like the subutex is working for you and that is wonderful!

So to answer your question, i take a form of bupe with a benzo as directed and have been ok so far.

Tiki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:37 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for the reply Tiki! Im glad you are liking the Zubsolv better then the films. I
swear it's so weird how much changing brand or from suboxone to subutex can make a difference, but I definitely feel better on the subutex! & it's good to hear that you can take Benzos with it for your anxiety without problems, I've always been scared because all the horror stories from docs and online but im sure the bad stories were from people abusing the benzos.