It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:04 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi all! I have an issue, again. Yesterday at my appointment I was discussing how expensive Suboxone is for me now that our insurance isn't covering the strips. The insurance company will only cover Zubsolv, which I tried and was AWFUL. He suggested subutex because there is generic available that is cheaper. I agreed. Have been taking them since yesterday (2-8mg a day). I don't feel like I'm taking anything. I feel like I've completely stopped taking my meds. This is not good! Is this normal? I've been taking Suboxone strips for 2 years. Maybe I'm so used to them at this point that taking something else just won't be the same? This really puts me in a situation here. Do I go back to the strips and pay for them (which is very difficult on my family), or do I continue taking these and oh well if they don't work the same? Ugh...I can't handle the stress of this right now. My life is too damn stressful as it is right now. :( Thanks all for the help.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I had a similar issue when I first changed from suboxone films to the generic mono product buprenorphine tablets, and increased my dose from 12 mgs to 16mgs at first because I thought my medication wasn't working as well, it helped, however I didn't feel as if it wasn't working at all. How long are you allowing the tablets to dissolve? I have read about this complaint though from others here, and it was associated with a particular brand. What brand are your tablets? I take the Roxane brand 8 mg tablets, and found that once I got used to them, they worked just fine, and most of my concerns were psychological.

Eventually I was able to go back down to 12 mgs by observing some tips that Dr. Junig, our forum's founder talks about at http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com. to optimize absorption of the medication. He describes how to accomplish this by using your front teeth to crush the tablet, mixing it with a small amount of saliva and using your tongue to paint all of the surfaces of your mouth with the medication and allow it to absorb that way for about fifteen to twenty minutes, since bupe is absorbed through all mucous membranes in the mouth, not just the blood vessels under the tongue. So the more surface area the buprenorphine is given to absorb, the more will be absorbed. It's also important not to talk, eat, or drink while dosing, and not to eat or drink for about 15 minutes after dosing, to allow any medication left on the mouth surfaces to be absorbed.

I'd give this a try before going back to the films or asking for a different brand of tablets, especially if cost was your motivation for switching to the plain bupe tabs. In my case it saved me over $600.00 a month. If I had been forced to continue paying that much for the films, I couldn't have afforded to continue my treatment. I hope you find this helpful, and I hope you feel better soon. Please keep us posted on how you're doing. It's really awesome that your doctor will prescribe the generic buprenorphine tablets. Many will not, and patients are struggling to pay for their treatment. I really hope you're able to get this sorted out.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:01 pm 

Hey Mizz,
Hmm, well it could be absorption rate. And the film's do work faster but that doesn't seem to be the problem here.
Not working you said. You in WD or having symptoms?
How about cravings Mizz, have any-?
Just trying to understand exactly what the issue is.
Congrats on finding good a Dr who's willing to cough up subutex. It's usually the other way around.
I pay out the nose for my films and it's just what I need to do. I've also cut me dose to save money too.

Not saying you do that have a problem here, just wondering what your feeling here.

My opinion is your possibly swallowing some of your dose because of the tablet form.

Razor..

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:02 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi lizzie - The brand I have is the Roxane as well. So hopefully there is no issue with that being a crappy brand lol. I am allowing prob. about 15-20 min. for the pill to dissolve and not eating or drinking for at least an hour after that. So I would think that should be sufficient? Maybe not. I realize after reading posts today that I am one of the lucky ones that has a doc who will give me the subutex. It just sucks that I'm sitting here freaking out over if they will work for me :( I don't want to rush to getting back on strips because the cost really is just too much. I have a last ditch effort I could try in appealing the insurance company to cover the strips, but unfortunately my doc's office won't help with appeals. So I'm on my own with that. This whole thing is just a mess. It really would be nice if these subutex could work for me! How long did it take for you to get used to the change when you did it?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:06 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey Razor - It sure would be nice if the issue I'm having is absorption. I am used to the faster strips so maybe I need to let these set longer. I am def going to try that on my next dose. As to how I am feeling...well...it's similar to when I've ran out of my subs in the past. Hot and cold, lack of energy, lack of patience, feeling slightly depressed etc. As far as cravings go, IDK..that's hard to tell. It's been a while since I've "craved" anything .

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Razor55 said, "My opinion is your possibly swallowing part of your dose due to the tablet form. "

I agree with razor, if you're feeling true withdrawal symptoms, that's probably why. Saliva accumulates under the tongue where the tablets are, and much of it is transported to the back of the throat in a river of saliva and swallowed. Give the painting technique Dr. Junig recommends a try, and hopefully that will resolve your issue, and help you to swallow less of your medication. I think if you give yourself some time to adjust, you'll be ok.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It took me about a week to feel exactly like I felt when taking the films. I couldn't be happier now, especially saving all the money I'm saving.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:27 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Well I only got a week's worth of these subutex so far (waiting for prior auth on insurance to see if they cover it), so I will see how it goes. Hopefully this (and my technique for taking them) improves and I can stay on them. Thank you both for the help!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm sending you positive vibes, I think you'll find that they work fine for you. :) You said that you were freaking out over whether or not they would work, so, maybe it's just the anxiety over the change that's causing your distress?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:39 pm 

Hey Mizz.....your going to be fine!!!
And you ll be saving money too..

Razor..

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:56 pm 

Hi Mizzme :) I am on the films & have been for over 2 yrs. However about a yr ago I had to take a few days worth of tablets. I panicked and like u, I didn't feel like they worked for me. I had trouble with the absorption issue big time. I'm no expert & I only dealt with it a few days til I was bk on the film, but I bet u absorption is what's going on with ya. So don't stress and focus on absorbing lol u will be great. And think of it this way...u got insurance. I don't and it is sad. Good luck, I wanted to just reach out and tell ya not to worry cause I went through exact same emotions.... only I'm a wimp and never tried em again lol.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:19 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey mizzme,

I agree with the others about it not absorbing to the properly. The best thing about the films is that it absorbs quickly and the bioavailability is higher than tablets. I remember the medication guide for the films saying about dosage adjustments to get the same effect when switching. There was a short period I took the subutex tabs and I found it best to break it up into pieces, maybe into fourths, and it dissolved much more efficient but also not to swallow the saliva for 10-15 minutes after the tablet dissolved otherwise you'll swallow part of the dose like the others mentioned.

I was curious though, why was the zubsolv so terrible?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:33 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you all so much for the kind words and help! It really is appreciated :) The Zubsolv in my opinion, and for me...was a total different situation. I tried taking that for a week and went nothing but downhill, big time. I know for a fact I was in W/D with that stuff. I also had issues with bad headaches, nausea and a severe mood change on it. Once I got back on the Subs it was a complete difference. I know that it's not the same dose either..they try to say that even though it's only 5.7 mg per dose, it's the same as 8mg due to them better absorbing. Yet, they don't say what it is that magically causes the "better absorption". I also think it's insane that a lot of insurance companies will now cover Zubsolv, but not Suboxone. It's the same price! But leave it to insurance companies to think they know what is best for you medically :roll:

That was just MY experience with it. Everyone is different.

Anyhow, I'm going to try the suggestions you all gave me with helping this subutex absorb better. I will keep updating in case anyone else is in the same boat and curious. Keeping good thoughts this will work! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:24 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey again! So...this is the 3rd day taking the subutex and I feel like they are working, but not the same. It's better than not working at all, so that's good. I just am really having a hard time with this mentally. One of the issues is the fact that these are pills, not strips. I don't like it. I don't like having a bottle of "pills". It reminds me of before when I was constantly checking my pill count. Back when I was in the throws of addiction. My DOC was methadone, followed by oxy, then percs. So this whole pill thing is messing me with me. I liked the strips because ...well...it wasn't the same. My life wasn't dependent on a bottle of pills. I used to have special pill spot in my wallet. Guess where I need to put these subutex when I'm out? In that same damn spot. Idk...that's just messing with me.

Also, I don't feel the same on these. I find myself constantly wondering if it's working. Physically I feel ok, but mentally I feel like I'm getting down. I don't have the same positive outlook I did. It's not necessarily negative, more like a blah feeling.

I know a lot of this is mental, but I also know this medicine isn't acting the same as Suboxone was for me.

I don't know what to do. :(

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:28 pm 

Hey Mizz
Hmm,I get you on the pill switch. Just having it in pill form has messed with me also. One script then I went think back to films. I was trying to save money.
Sorry your struggling with this.
You have to choises here imo.
Keep trying with this script or switch it back next time.
I don't know what else it could be but absorption rate.
The films do work faster than a tablet though.

Hang in there Mizz.

Razor