It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I was using up my hoard of 8-mg tabs, taking 1/2 a day in the am, then half a 2-mg film in the pm. That equaled 5 mg. After using up all my tablets, except the ones that I've kept but didn't cut well enough so I don't want to use them, I switched to the strips only. Instead of taking the full 5 mg, I decided to take one 2-mg in the a.m. and one 2-mg in the p.m. I know the strips have a higher bio-availability, so I was hoping 4 mg of strips would roughly equal my old 5-mg tablet dose.

The first day was fine. Now I'm a few days in and I feel soooo sick to my stomach and my stomach kind of hurts. I'm afraid to eat anything besides toast. If I move around too much, I barf. It's weird because I feel this way the most about 4 hours after I take my a.m. dose. Then, after my second dose I feel a little better, but I'm still icky. In the morning, I don't feel sick, just a touch of early w/d chills.

I have to stick with these films, as that's all my doctor prescribes now. I've gotta find a way to make them work. Should I drop my dose? Maybe to 3.5 or something? What is making me feel like this? Too much Bup? Too little? Too much Naloxone? Is there anything that can help my stomach while I adjust? I am trying to drink water and all that but I'm so close to throwing up that it's tough. I have a small headache too but I cannot take any Motrin because I will certainly throw that up. :?

Yuck...hate feeling like this and hate puking.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's true that some people have lowered their dose on the film, but I've also heard of people who had to raise their dose. It could be that you might not be getting enough, but I'll admit I could be WAY off on that. Why do you dose twice daily (forgive me, I don't remember)? Have you tried taking the entire 4 mg in the morning? Keep in mind that you're right around the ceiling. If you're not tapering off (again, sorry, I don't recall), you might want to make sure you're at least a little bit above the ceiling. If you get enough of a dose in the am, you shouldn't have to dose in the pm.

One last thought - have you checked your pupils at all when you get sick like that? Just curious.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My pupils look normal. At least, they look like my 3-year old daughter's....I'm curious why you ask that. Is there something I should be checking for?

I dose twice a day because I find it makes tapering easier. Right now I'm dosing twice a day because I'm scared to take the whole thing at once. What if I get even more sick to my stomach? I'm developing a serious aversion to the lemon-lime thing here. The smell of coffee is making me sick too. Ugh!

I don't feel like I do when I'm in w/d. That makes me think I must be getting too much. Maybe I should try taking 3.5? I read that the difference in the bio-availability makes the film 30% stronger. So, 70% of my old dose of 5 mg is 3.5. Maybe that's what I should have dropped to. I have no clue. I don't feel buzzed. If I was getting too much, would I feel funny, as in good funny? I don't feel good! Can you be getting too much and not feel buzzed? I'm definitely a little panicked because I need to this to go away. I can try finding another doctor and getting more tabs, but all that takes time.

Hat, you are so fantastic. You respond to everyone so quickly, and sometimes it makes a person's day to have someone out there in cyberland lend a compassionate ear.

laddertipper

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for the kind words. :D I asked about your pupils to try to help figure out what's going on. Many of us on sub have pinpoint pupils; dilated pupils usually indicate that you're in withdrawal. But yours are average. It seems to me that if you had too much in your system your pupils would be smaller, but again, I could be way off. If you're really afraid you're taking too much, why not try 1 mg in the morning and see how you feel. You can always take more.

Is it possible that something else is making you sick? There were other people on this forum who got sick from the films and had to lower their dose. So maybe stay on the safe side and try 1 mg at a time. Maybe that's all you need.

You asked if you had too much how would you feel...Some people do feel sick on it, but they are usually opiate naive. Remember that below the ceiling, sub acts more like a full agonist. Meaning that once people get down below the ceiling they are more likely to "feel" their dose. Hope that makes sense.

I'm really sorry I can't help more.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Thanks, Hat
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Actually, that's very helpful. I never knew about the pupils thing. I'm going to start monitoring my pupils to see if that gives me any indication.

Maybe I'm getting a bug at the exact same time as I switched to the films. That's so inconvenient if that's the case! But it's totally possible. I've got my kids bringing home plenty of nasty school bugs. I think I'll try your advice and take it in 1 mg increments tomorrow. I'd rather feel a little in w/d than the way I feel right now.

I don't know if this means anything, but when I was pregnant I switched to Subutex and it made me sick in exactly this way. It made me so ill that I could barely stand to take it and I ended up weaning rapidly down on my dose. That's what makes me wonder if it has something to do with the Naloxone.

Hopefully, tomorrow will be better!!

laddertipper

Post subject: Today is a little better
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Okay, Hat. Today is a bit better. I'm still sick to my stomach. I wasn't when I woke up, so I got my kids off to school before taking my first dose. I only took the 1 mg, as you suggested. It had been about 20 hours since my last dose. I felt fine right after, then after an hour the nausea came back, only a little less. I'm going to space out the doses today. I won't take my next one until I start to feel like I need it and then the last one before bed. I'm only going to take 3 mg total. Maybe that's all I need, since I'm coming off tabs. It's possible....if I go into w/d, then I'll adjust it. It's a 2-mg drop, but maybe the strips are that much more potent. I'd be thrilled if I only need 1.5 strips a day. Much easier on the wallet. :wink:

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:32 pm 
Just a suggestion, I usualy eat something like an hour after I take my subs in order to to combat any nausea I might get from it. Its rare that i get nausea from it but when I do eating usualy makes it go away, or I'll have a glass of chocolate milk or something and that takes care of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:20 pm 
What suboxoned said is something i get everytime i dose. Meaning, i usually have to eat about 2 hours after i take my dose or else i feel, well nauseous. Although i havent ever really considered it nausea. I just feel really hungry. It feels very similar to nausea but once i eat im good to go. I dont know if thats what you have or not but it is a great suggestion. This medication definitely makes me super hungry after i take it and the type of hungry feeling i get is similar to nausea. I guess thats my point im tryin to explain.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yesterday, I cut back to 3 mg and today I feel much better. I spaced them out like Hat suggested. This morning, I had a teeny bit of w/d, but nothing big. I'm thinking my dose will end up being either 3 or 3.5 mg. Hopefully, in a week or so, this whole transition will be over and behind me.

ladder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:05 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I don’t want to steal anyone’s thread here and also please excuse my ignorance on the film. Ive just learned about the film recently. I guess my questions are if you can cut the strips? Like if I was switched to the film and wanted to taper, can you just cut in half with scissors? Also, are they the same doses, 2mg or 8mg? Is this something I should ask my DR to switch me to, are there advantages? Thanks in advance…… :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:23 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Some people feel sick about it, but usually are opiate naive. Remember that under the roof, under behaves like a full agonist. Which means that when people get down from the ceiling is more likely to "feel" the dose. Hope that makes sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:34 pm 
I think thats only true about feeling it more under the ceiling if you arent on maintenance because Im on 4mgs for cost reasons (supposed to be on 16mgs) and i dont feel my dose at all. Maybe its different for others but for me I dont feel the dose and just feel more cravings than on my proper dose.