It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

To Forum Members,

My addiction started as a RN after a year and half I graduated from college. I have a history of depression, anxiety, and had used drugs along with opiates as a teenager.
When I started at the methadone clinic last June, I was heavily addicted to dilaudid and OxyContin and no longer a RN. I had lost my home, my job, and almost my husband and children. I started at the Methadone Clinic because I felt like I had no other option because I couldn't pay for rehab and had to find work to support my family. I started at 120 mg of methadone and after 4 months got down to 50 mg. I decided to jump off that and start a suboxone program. I stopped the methadone and started the sub the next day and put myself in horrible precipitated withdrawl. I almost died; well, that's how it felt. I started at 24 mg and now am at 12 mg. At first it helped after the first week of withdrawl, but only with the physical symptoms. Since, stopping the methadone I feel angry, depressed, unmotivated, and am starting to want to use. On the methdadone, I could function, go to work, clean my house, and my emotions weren't like how they are now. The only down side was the drive every morning and the cost, because the methadone wasn't covered by my insurance but the suboxone is.
Should I switch back to the methadone at the 50 mg and taper off that? I feel like I cannot make it any longer on the suboxone. I haven't used anything but a little bit of beer on the weekends. Please help me; I need advice.

Sincerely,
Leanna1014

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:35 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

how quickly did you taper down to 12mg? it sounds like that may have been down too fast...especially since you said you were ok at first...suboxone works the best on a longer term, usually with long gradual tapers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

To He-Reigns,

I tapered down after 3 months basically against MDs orders. On the higher dose, I can't explain it but I just didn't feel right. Not high, not normal, kinda like I was there but my mind wasn't. I would sleep sometimes a whole day because I felt so tired and lifeless. I was drowsy at first on the methadone but than that passed quickly and I didn't feel like I felt on this. Maybe it is true that after methadone you can't successfully switch to suboxone and feel ok. My past includes high doses of Dilaudid and OC after becoming addicted as a RN; after only two of graduating I started diverting opiates. Probably because of the stress, bad marriage, and history of depression, anxiety, and opiate use as a teenager?