It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Swelling and Suboxone
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:07 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

[b][i]

I've been meaning to ask this and keep forgetting.

I've been having swelling on my ankles and feet and my hands. I was wondering if anyone else has had this.
When I was taking Suboxone several years ago i got it also.
I have Lupus and my body is very strange so I'm just wondering if maybe the Lupus and Suboxone are just responding to it with the swelling.

I've looked around on the forum and not seen anyone else with this issue.

Thanks for any feedback.

I hope everyone is enjoying there weekend.

Marie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:45 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Side effect of Naloxone. Do a search on that.... I'almost positive I read that somewhere. Good luck :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:54 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Side effect of Naloxone. Do a search on that.... I'almost positive I read that somewhere. Good luck :-)

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This confuses me. I actually have read a number of accounts of people saying they experienced swelling from Suboxone. I'm just wondering how the Naloxone causes the swelling, when it isn't supposed to do anything unless it is injected. It doesn't make any sense to me. I actually do think that Naloxone probably does cause side effects, but long-term Naloxone hasn't been thoroughly studied, so if someone has a link or has been given any info from their doc, please let me know what it is.

Thanks,
laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:19 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Marie!

Yes, I have been experiencing edema in my ankles and feet since I started taking suboxone in January. It started when I went up in dose from 8 mg to 12 mg. I have experimented with going back down to 8 mg for a few days when it occurs, and it goes away. I'm planning on dropping back to 8 mg as my maintenance dose soon anyway, so I'm hoping that will be the end of the edema issue. As for whether it is the bupe or the naloxone, I have no idea. Who knows, maybe it's a reaction to the artificial orange color or flavoring or some other "filler" component.

I have found numerous other reports of ankle/foot swelling/edema as a side effect of suboxone on other internet forums. Feel free to pm me if you are interested and I can send you the links.

~Anna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:29 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have read where many had this happen... I didnt but as I said, we are all different and metabolize medicine differently

Post subject: Swelling and Suboxone
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:30 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

[b][i]

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm sorry for those that have the swelling but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.

Good thing is,when i was on Suboxone a few years ago it was summer. I had to buy sandals a bigger size so I have some to fit me. I knew there was a reason I saved themm.

Thanks again

Marie

Post subject: swelling
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:18 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have had off and on edema that is probably caused by the Suboxone. I disagree that it is the naloxone, but I could be absolutely wrong on that. Anyway, my doctor prescribed a water pill, furosemide, which I take whenever I have a flair of edema. If yours is particularly bothersome/severe, you might suggest this to your doctor.

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:46 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

That's another thing we have in common Marie, the Lupus.
I don't have it myself, but my Mother has been suffering from Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease, Rhumatoid Arth, Gulf War Syndrome and more.....for about 20yrs now. It's been horrible to see the toll it's all taken on her body. I know for my Mom, edema has been a continuous problem, especially over the past few years. I wouldn't surprise me if you'r swelling is related to both....the Suboxone and you'r Lupus.
If you find an article about Suboxone or Naloxone and swelling, lemme know. I'd very much like to read it. I'm so greatfull we have this medication to help us through our recovery. But, I'm also always intrested to learn ANYTHING I can about Suboxone (or any medication for that fact that I put into my body).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm glad I came across this!

I noticed a few days ago my ankles and feet were very swollen and almost made an urgent doctor's appointment.

I seem to be receptive to just about every side effect and that sucks.

No one mentioned swelling in the face/neck. Anyone seen this? I just noticed in the mirror I look abnormally full faced/neck compared to normal and I'm a guy so it's not that time of the month!

lol. I can't wait til I'm off this stuff in another month or two. Just 3 or 4 weeks is enough. It's been great for helping get off my pain meds, but the side effects are so strong for me. Mostly stomach/intestinal issues, insomnia (haven't slept longer than 5 hours a night in 3 weeks. When I do sleep)

Now, joint pain and swelling.

Anxiety and nervousness was horrible but has gone down.

Emotions swing. Easy to cry and then happy when busy. I know what it's like to be pregnant. I cried watching Harry Potter. I have never cried watching anything. Lmao.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:18 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

my friend's doctor took her off of suboxone and put her on subutex because edema is a side effect of naloxone. now i'm puzzled. i'm having swelling in my fingers, feet, ankles, lower calved and i am just on straight bupe... any thoughts? my doctor unfortunately is not reachable by phone and i have to go in... and i can barely walk right now let alone get my butt on a train to see him... (oh and fork out the money....)