It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So I back surgery ( a spinal fusion in April) with the surgery and having chronic pain for years I physically and mentally got addicted to the pain pills, so to come off and stay off they put me on suboxone which I NEVER wish I did. First of all, my psychiatrist would NOT tell me how to taper off (I have been wanting to get off for a while) However, when I found out I was pregnant 2.5 weeks ago he had no choice. I was taking Ativan (roughly 1-2 mg day) for severe anxiety and suboxone (4 mg day) FIRST of all, Ativan is the worse of the 2 meds and my doc told me that suboxone was worse so he instructed me to get off that first. I asked him to switch to subutex (which I heard is safer in pregnancies and he said I was incorrect) I am very angry and feel like I should report him because he obviously did not do his research when informing as a doctor what to do while pregnant. Anyways I ended up going to another doctor ( I am completely off the Ativan and am down to .25mg of suboxone a day) I am SO uncomfortable, depressed, anxious, unmotivated, hopeless it is not even funny. I feel like this will never end and I feel NO happiness. I have never been so miserable in my life. I have 2 VERY healthy kids and would never have imagined being in a situation like this. I am so scared for the health of my baby and want to be off the suboxone so bad, my doctor said it is not safe to quit cold turkey because it can make you miscarry. If I do not take my .25mg I am ABSOLUTELY miserable, that small dose makes it not unbareable. I am still miserable, sad, anxious, irritable and just lost but I don't feel like I am going to die. I guess I just came on here for support, other people who have been in this situation. I am SO worried about the health of this baby, I have a few questions.

-Anyone else been there in a similar situation?

-I feel like since I am doing this slow taper and I am doing this slow awful withdrawl and my body cannot start balancing out until I am fully off of it so how long is this going to last? When will my body naturally start producing things that make me happy and feel normal again?

-I have heard of people that have the hardest time withdrawing off of VERY low doses so I feel like I am NEVER going to be off of it and it is going to be hell. I am just so overwhelmed and discouraged and really just don't know what to do. I have never felt so low in my life. Such a scary situation.

-I would love to hear your stories who can relate or have been on low doses like me and how you got off and when you start to feel happy again?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Did your doctor taper you off the ativan? And did he suggest getting off it at the same time as tapering off suboxone? That is a lot to put your mind and body through, pregnant or not. I would suggest seeing a new doctor who is a little more informed about pregnancy and suboxone in general, and more compassionate about your situation.

Most doctors will not recommend tapering off suboxone during pregnancy, especially the 1st and third trimester. 1st trimester is when all of the major organs develop, as I'm sure you know, and also is when the highest risk of miscarriage is. So that is why doctors will shy away from any major med changes in 1st tri. In 3rd trimester, early labor and delivery is a concern, as well as prenatal withdrawal.

Having said this, .25mg is pretty mild dose to jump from, and is up to you and your doctors. How long have you been at .25? You may want to just hang out there right now and take it slow. I personally don't think it's wise to rush it, the stress you cause is far worse for the baby than extending your taper. I am willing to bet a lot of your current symptoms are related to the stopping of ativan. Benzos are extremely hard to get off of, once you've been on them for a while.

Hang in there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much for your reply! Yes, I am seeing a new doctor on monday. I pray to God he knows what he is talking about and gives me some comfort. The first doctor had me lower my suboxone first, then when I saw a second doctor he said ativan is Class D which is MORE dangerous than suboxone which is Class C, so I was really upset with the first doctor who obviously did not do his research. I would think that coming up of .25mg wouldn't be hard but in the morning right before I take it I feel like DEATH so I cannot even imagine what is going to feel like coming off completely. When I found out I was pregnant 2.5 weeks ago I was in 2 mg for 3 days than went to 1mg, then .5mg and this is my second day on .25mg. I almost feel like until I see the doctor the next 2 days I should go back to .5mg because the amount of stress, agony, and sadness I feel like right now its near unbearable. I feel like just giving up which I know is not an option. I have never been so depressed in my life and I know its from coming off of stuff and my brain chemistry and severely messed up, I just don't know how much longer I can do this. :/ I was telling my husband that I feel like I am trapped in a nightmare, NOT trying to feel sorry for myself, just sharing exactly how I feel right now.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I wouldn't be too concerned with staying on .5 (or .25) for a little while. You went down pretty fast and you need to let your body acclimate and adjust to each drop. As long as it takes.. Both are still very low doses and I'd be willing to bet that your doc could help you off in 2nd trimester, if that's what you wanted. Yeah, benzos are a D class, was hoping they at least tapered you off. How long has it been since you stopped ativan?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Did you mean to say that you would not be concerned? I have been off the Ativan for 7 days now. I really hope that didn't cause any damage.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

^ Yep.. I just corrected that :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Did you ever come off of suboxone? If so did you get the emotional, depressed, anxious, irritable, unmotivated withdrawals? If so how long did they last?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

^ I did, and yes, I experience some of those symptoms and they lasted a while, but I stopped at a much higher dose. You have to realize, you went from 4mgs to .25mgs in the span of 2.5 weeks. That is extreme. Pregnancy aside, it is highly recommended that you taper slow. Much slower than that.. Most doctors don't advise to taper during pregnancy, let alone at that rate. Slow it down and adjust to whatever lowered dose you feel comfortable with, and take it from there. Once you get evened out and start to feel better, talk to your doctor about the next plan.

I believe there are a select few anti depressants that are considered ok to take? Ask your doctor about that, if you think it could help.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:54 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello and welcome!!

I'm so sorry about your experience. I just cannot believe how many doctors are extremely uneducated about this drug!! Even if he didn't know exactly what he was talking about, he could've been much more supportive. This forum is full of amazing people, and we are here to help in any way that we can.

With that said, I was on Subutex at .5mg for my entire pregnancy. My son was born 1 day after his due date(after a 32 hour labor!!!) And was healthy, thriving, and beautiful. He nursed for 3mos, and it would've been longer but he's very sensitive to dairy and at the time I was very uneducated about my options. Anyway, he was born AND came off of nursing with no WD. He is now 21mos old and a very active toddler!

.5, as TD mentioned, is a very low dosage. I wouldn't be afraid to go back up a little. Your baby needs you happy and healthy and stress free right now. It sounds like you had a little bit of anxiety/depression before your pregnancy already. Ativan itself can cause WD of severe anxiety and depression when you get off of it.

Give your mind, body, and baby a little breather. Take a much slower approach on this taper. If you can go slowly, and come off in your 2nd trimester, it'll be much easier on you and the baby.

I hope that your new doctor is a bit more compassionate. Please let us know how it goes! Even if people don't reply, they're reading. Your story is helping someone else in a similar situation.