It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: surprise WD at 8 mgs
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've been doing a lot of blabbing lately on the forum about cutting down my daily subs to 4 mg. I still plan on doing that....as able....but this stuff can be tricky. I thought I was snuggly ensconced at the 8 mg level....down from 32.....but about a week in I suddenly realized I was in very mild WD. I"d been yawning all day....yesterday....and just figured I was tired. Then last night I woke up about 1:30 am and suddenly
realized I had some mild RLS. A rude awakening (literally). Never one to be a hero, I just stuck another
tape under my tongue. It's now 6 am and I still haven't got back to sleep.

Not a big deal, but it did take me by surprise. I can see now I'm not going to be one of those people
who gracefully slides down the fire station pole with little or no effort. The good news is I was fine otherwise, which is to say no cravings or any other forms of psychic distress. I just didn't think it was wise to mess with it. I'm too new still, and the memories of 3 days of dope sickness along with a bit of PW are too fresh.

But I'll just hop back on my horse and take another run at it. :D (giddy-up)

Post subject: Re: surprise WD at 8 mgs
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:10 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I'm glad you tried to lower your dose. I hope I will get the courage to do so. I'm not sure what is keeping me back, but something is. Maybe it's because I am uncomfortable with change, I don't know. Well now that you've tried it, now you know! You've done very well dropping from 32 to where you are now-especially since you haven't really been on Suboxone for that long. That's awesome!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks HT, but not to worry. You're new too, yes? Conventional wisdom is to stay where you're comfortable for a fair stretch. A year or more. Just coasting along enjoying your new found freedom from opiates
is all that's really required,. Of course it's always good to work on ourselves too. Meetings, helping others, finding ways to grow as a person. All that jazz :D

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:59 am 

Godfrey I'm just like ya, well not at 8mg but that happens to me at 6mg. I don't necessarily think that a lot of ppl go through that but I do. Others obviously breeze through saying it didn't bother them at all, but that's not how it's been for me. We're all different, as addicts in active addiction we all experienced different things, so it's not shocking to me that some of us can feel things differently than most....hope that makes sense because I'm my head I know exactly what I mean ;)

HTown, I'm in no hurry either, to taper any lower or taper off. I'm just not ready and I don't feel bad about it. There's ppl that stay on this medication for life, and I could be one of them. So take ur time and definitely don't rush.... nothing wrong with that :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Jenn,

If theres a way to feel sick from something I'll just about always find it. But it was so mild I barely
recognized it for what it was. If it weren't for the insomnia I'd have just gone through it. But after years of not sleeping I don't want to go through that anymore.On the subs I've been sleeping 6 to 7 hours most nights. For me that's fabulous. I don't want to go back to worrying about falling asleep at the wheel.

I think it's probably because it's been less than 8 weeks and I had such a high tolerance going in. And then I was on a very high dose of subs for a while. I'm hoping that this time...as I'm going to try again...I won't have a problem. I have to remember not to try rushing this. It's easy to forget we have a powerful drug
sitting up there in our brains doing its thing. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:21 pm 

Yes Godfrey, ur smart and I have all the faith that you'll know when it's time to taper. Just don't rush urself and overthink it. U know that I know exactly what it feels like to overthink things too ☆☆

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:40 pm 

Just like Jen said... I like the old saying from the tortoise and the hare: Slow and steady wins the race!

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:20 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Yes godfrey, I am a newbie, kind of. I started in January but didn't start going to a doctor until September. Before I got a prescription, I was buying them on the street. I just took them to not be sick but I in no way worked on any type of recovery. I didn't really know anything about Suboxone except that it made me feel normal and not sick. I also took took little pieces throughout the day. I feel as if I didn't truly start recovery until I started seeing my doctor. So I like to think that in September is when I actually started. I read of inductions and I am glad I didn't have to do that.

jennjenn- I'm not ready either. But I do feel bad about it for some reason. I think I need to get over it like you have

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:22 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Godfrey-

Give yourself a break. You're doing MAGNIFICENT!!!
My husband and I became pregnant a year into my Sub treatment. About 4 months after our son was born, three family members died (all within a month of one another). So, I had little motivation to reduce my first couple years of maintenance.

I've read many of your posts and you seem very goal oriented and focused on becoming a healthier YOU. That sais LOTS about your recovery! I believe I read you have some serious medical conditions which require pain control. So, I can totally understand wanting to be on the lowest dose possible....in case you need a surgery or an emergency pops up.

Other than that, take your time. I abused hardcore drugs for about 15 yrs. So, Ive always felt like....I didn't become addicted in a week or a month, so it's gonna take time to become healthy again.

HTOWN-

Don't feel ashamed or guilty about your dosage. We're all different. A different "story", different metabolisms, different bodies, different minds, and different goals.

I feel it's much more important to look at the self-work you're doing while on Sub rather than the actual dosage. We should ALL be very proud of ourselves, because we chose to do something different. We chose life!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:54 am 

Absolutely Marie, right on!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:47 pm 

Boy do we have some smart women around here or what???

Now all you men have to do is listen to us!!!

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Amy-Work In Progress wrote:
Boy do we have some smart women around here or what???

Now all you men have to do is listen to us!!!

Amy

What a desolate world it would be without you smart women. Very grateful to all of you!

G.

P.S Marie, thanks for those kind words And you're right, I am kind of goal oriented. It can get in the way
sometimes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:20 am 

Yes Godfrey, I'm with the others on this one. You've only been on it for a short time and your tolerance dictates the withdrawal symptoms. You're simply going too fast. There is no hurry to taper down if your body is saying no for now. Give it some time to adjust to the lower tolerance and then it will be easier to pull off.

It took me a year to taper down and my habit was minor compared to yours so it was easier. And don't even think about going from 8 mg's to 4. That's ridiculous. Remember the 20% or less rule. 20% of 8 mg's is 1.6 mg's. so go down no lower than 6.5 mg's and you should be able to handle that drop. (or not) Ask for the 4 mg films months later to make it easier to cut them in half and quarters. After that, ask for the 2 mg's ones, like a year from now if you do it the correct way.

Just looking out for you buddy. This is not a race.

r

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey rule. Yes, you're right. Too fast, But I had to find out how low I could get without a problem, knowing that I could just take more...which I did...if I had a problem. The symptoms were so mild as I mentioned, I didn't even recognize them. The epiphany came when I got up to pee, and involuntarily kicked the toilet.
Classic withdrawal symptom for me. I almost broke a toe while waiting to take my subs that first night :D

We'll take her slow and easy from here. Promise.