It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Surgery tomm
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi,
I'm new here , in fact I've never posted on any type of forum. My nerves are shot! I have read quite a few posts that have been helpful :) . I will try to keep this short . I am on 8 mg of Suboxone strip ( I started a year ago ) tomorrow I am having laparoscopic abdominal surgery . It will be for a hernia repair and to remove some scar tissue . My sub doctor has been great and he chose to have me stop my subs a week before , and start taking morphine ER 2 to 3 times a day . Tomorrow will be surgery I don't feel any different I am assuming maybe since I'm taking the morphine that's preventing any withdrawal symptoms ? I don't feel the morphine either which is ok.
So I'm nervous that tomorrow whatever they give me for pain won't work ?
Anyone have this type of plan?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Surgery tomm
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:02 pm 

My advice is to read the articles about surgery and buprenorphine that were written by our own doctor, Dr. Junig. I am providing a link to a page of these articles.

http://suboxonetalkzone.com/category/surgery/

There is also a tab at the top of this page called TalkZone.

Best wishes for you!

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi beautifulmess, There is some good stuff on the Talk Zone. There is also a search bar that you can type surgery and other topics in and the information there about the topic on the Talk Zone will pop up. Good luck to you and please let us know how you did. This is a very common topic, surgery on Suboxone, and a lot of people would/will benefit from this thread some leave a comment or 2 when you feel like it here to let us know how it went. Thanks and best of luck dear. Bamagirl

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:25 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Good luck on your surgery. You will probably need more pain medication than most other patients, but it sounds like your medical team is flexible. Hopefully you will advocate for yourself should the need arise.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:30 pm 

Amy spelled it out for you perfectly. You can also click on the topic header "Surgery on Suboxone" and see all the posts already there. The one on top has a lot of links to it.

Good luck on your procedure.

rule

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the well wishes, unfortunately I didn't find this site soon enough, so I didn't have much time to read stories before surgery. However surgery went OK ! I did have to stay overnight because they weren't sure what I would need for pain. Yes even though I stopped the Suboxone a week before , I needed more then then the average person! They sent me home with 15 mg of oxycodone every 6 hours. I will do some reading on this forum to get an idea of similar Situations.
Thanks so much

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thank you, beautiful mess, for sharing your story (great username, by the way!).

I recommend that people stay on buprenorphine, for reasons I've described on my blog (and thanks for the plugs too!!) Some docs tell people to 'just stop buprenorphine for a week', with no idea of how difficult that can be for most people. I usually recommend the same amount of narcotic that you received-- about 15 mg every 4 hours-- as that seems to be enough to treat post-op pain in people on buprenorphine, providing their dose is 8 mg per day or less.

The issue in your situation is when to restart the buprenorphine. Since you 'only' had a laparoscopy, you can simply stop narcotic for 24 hours and then restart buprenorphine. The problem comes up in people who have major operations or who have pain that outlasts their post-op narcotic, because those people have to go off everything for 24 hours, often provoking considerable discomfort.

I'm glad things worked out-- and I hope you stick around and help the next person who stops by!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi thank you! I most definitely will stick around to help or encourage in anyway I can ! I put off my surgery for a year, due to fear of taking opiates again. Thankfully my surgery went smooth. I also admit that after being off of the 8mg of subs, I believe that dose is two much for me, and tomm at my appt I will discuss this further with my doctor . Thanks