It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: surgery story
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:57 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi, I just had surgery and had to manage the suboxone . I stopped two days before from 2mg a day. Took 1 percocet 10mg 24 hours after stopping every four hours for the withdrawl for two days until surgery. During surgery they gave me delodid and then my percocet in recovery 2 10mg tabs.I took 2 10mg every 4 hours for several days then 1 10mg every 4hrs for another 5 days. Then my dr told me to stop the percocet for 24 hours then take 2mg of suboxone. I only lasted 14 hours but felt quite bad (by my calc. a 8-10 on cows) and took the 2mg tablet. After about 1 hour i'm fine back to normal thank god!!

what I learned:
1 you can take other opiates while on suboxone and or shortly after stopping. (decreased effect very possable)
2 being honest with all involved with surgery will insure your best chance of getting proper pain relief.
3 stop your suboxone 2 days before surgery and try to get to a low dose weeks before if possable.
4 make sure you wait enough time or feel bad enough ( best bet a combo of both to rule out your mind games) before restarting your suboxone. ( short acting 12-24 hours and or at least #5 on COWS.)
5 get your pain meds before you stop taking the suboxone so you dont have to show up for surgery in withdrawl it already stressful enough and any good dr will agree.

hope this helps and god bless

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:08 am 
New Poster
New Poster

sorry needed to add also that you need to make sure that your pain level is low enough before you switch back or you may find that you unable to get your opiates to work well enough. (as per the suboxone help line customer service agent)
with no personal trial I have read that tramadol may be a good option if you find yourself in that unfortunate position.

best of luck

ps: this form is great (too many other forms out there focused on getting high and or bickering this one is straight up helpful)

THANK YOU

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:20 am 

Hi Dragracer,

Congratulations on making it through surgery and recovery without enduring too much pain, and on getting back on sub! Could you clarify something for me? You said that you need to make sure your pain level is low enough before you switch back or your opiates might not work well enough. Are you talking about the recovery period after surgery? You're saying that if your pain level hasn't returned to a low enough level, the suboxone won't work? As in, it won't stop your cravings?

I agree with you that this is a stellar forum!

Amy