It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am scheduled for surgery on the 30th of May so in 21 days I am having 2 procedures done. I have been on subs for almost 6 Years. I lived in one state and moved to another and it seems the docs justvwant me to stay on them. I really really need some advice and help please!!!!!! I am thinking about stopping the subs 5,days before and finding some opiates to keep me out of withdrawal. I am flying across the country to have surgery and I want to make surevIbwill be ok. I will have no family/friends by my side. I need as much advice as I can get PLEASE PLEASE TELL ME ALL YOUR SURGERY STORIES ECT..... I am having full tummy tuck and breast augmentation also some lipo. I have been waiting 3 years to get this done and finally I have the money and help to watch my kids. I have posted on here before but did not get any help or advice. I am so scared that I will be in horrible pain and nothing will help. Thank u to all who reply and try and comfort and give me direction.

Thank you

kzaley :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hello, sorry i only have a second but here are 2 links for you.  one is a paper you should print out and bring with you and also read and understand.

the next link is a member here who had the exact same procedures you are getting.  good  luck!!

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1812

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5811

Post subject: Topic of Surgery
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:33 pm 

We have a section for "Surgery on Suboxone". After you first log in scroll down and you'll see it. There is also another thread about it being discussed right now.

Time to do some clicking.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi and welcome kzaley -

Your idea of stopping 5 days ahead and going on full opioid agonists is a legitimate one. The link to the article that was given to you above (how to treat acute pain in sub patients) lists different ways and that is one of them. Sub raises our tolerance and it makes it difficult to get adequate pain relief in emergencies and planned surgeries. BUT IT CAN BE DONE!

After you read that NIH paper, I'd make copies and be ready to share them with your doctor and your anesthesiologist, especially if they don't know anything about suboxone. You'll need higher than normal doses of full agonists pain meds. They need to be aware of this when it comes to treating your pain post-operative.

BTW, that NIH paper is easy to read and is only 7 pages (the other 7 is just references that you don't need to read, but will impress the doctors, so do print them out).

Good luck with your surgeries and ask as many more questions as you need to. We're here to help you out as much as we can.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't know if you've left already but I just had surgery today for an ectopic pregnancy. I am on about 10mg per day which is a bit of a taper since finding out I was pregnant down from 16. Of course I didn't really even notice any impact from the taper because it's still a high dose but they didn't want me tapering too fast because they were afraid it would hurt the "fetus" although you can't really call it that in this case. Anyhow, my sub doc called the OB surgeon and told him to give me some fairly high doses of fentanyl and dilaudid coming out of surgery in order to rip it off the receptors and to send me home with dilaudid.

I can attest that initially coming out of surgery I felt like my abdomen was hit by a mack truck but they issued the fentanyl and probably 4-5 doses of dilaudid and my pain got down to an easy 3. The nurse was a little freaked by the doses I think but since I was awake, speaking, and begging for pain meds she did what she was told and sure enough, I could pretty much tell when it took over.

This was 7 hours ago. I have pill form dilaudid here at home and it seems to be working quite well. This happened a little on the emergent side so I'm not sure if I'm supposed to take the subutex at the same time but for now, I am not "high" but my pain is manageable and I think they have FINALLY figured out how to do surgery and suboxone. This is the 3rd surgery since being on sub and the 1st time my pain was well controlled.

Your situation kind of sounds like the doctor isn't aware of the subutex and I suspect he isn't going to be pleased if you drop this on him. I didn't read all the posts in here however. If you tell them in advance you give them choice, options, and they can take care of you and plan on how to manage the suboxone issues.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:27 am 

Cherie,

I just wanted to say that I'm sorry you had to go through an ectopic pregnancy. Losing any kind of pregnancy is hard on the body and on the hormones. I've heard that ectopic pregnancies can be very painful and I'm glad that your pain is at a manageable level. Take good care, and I'll be thinking of you.

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:03 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Jackcrack wrote:
I don't know if you've left already but I just had surgery today for an ectopic pregnancy. I am on about 10mg per day which is a bit of a taper since finding out I was pregnant down from 16. Of course I didn't really even notice any impact from the taper because it's still a high dose but they didn't want me tapering too fast because they were afraid it would hurt the "fetus" although you can't really call it that in this case. Anyhow, my sub doc called the OB surgeon and told him to give me some fairly high doses of fentanyl and dilaudid coming out of surgery in order to rip it off the receptors and to send me home with dilaudid.

I can attest that initially coming out of surgery I felt like my abdomen was hit by a mack truck but they issued the fentanyl and probably 4-5 doses of dilaudid and my pain got down to an easy 3. The nurse was a little freaked by the doses I think but since I was awake, speaking, and begging for pain meds she did what she was told and sure enough, I could pretty much tell when it took over.

This was 7 hours ago. I have pill form dilaudid here at home and it seems to be working quite well. This happened a little on the emergent side so I'm not sure if I'm supposed to take the subutex at the same time but for now, I am not "high" but my pain is manageable and I think they have FINALLY figured out how to do surgery and suboxone. This is the 3rd surgery since being on sub and the 1st time my pain was well controlled.

Your situation kind of sounds like the doctor isn't aware of the subutex and I suspect he isn't going to be pleased if you drop this on him. I didn't read all the posts in here however. If you tell them in advance you give them choice, options, and they can take care of you and plan on how to manage the suboxone issues.

Cherie

This is really great.GOD BLESS YOU.Enjoy life....live healthy....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So I am three weeks post op from having breast augmentation and full tummy tuck and lipo. I have been on Percocet 10 mg two every four hours for the past three weeks. Feeling the Percocet has done for me is keep me out of withdrawals from not being on Suboxon. I have been on Suboxone for almost 6 years I want to go back to my Suboxone I still help me more than the Percocet has I basically went through this with no pain relief. I informed all the Drs. nurses and all the staff but I was on Suboxone three months before my surgery. I took my last Percocet this morning at 9:00 AM I want to start my Suboxone now. What are your thoughts on me starting it. My doctors telling me to wait 12 to 24 hours but I'm starting to get that feeling of the withdrawals. The tummy tuck has been a lot more painful than I ever could have imagined People tell me in a month or so I would say I would do it again but as of right now I would not. I think if I get back for my Suboxone to help with the withdrawals and also the pain I just don't want to take it too soon and put myself into worse withdrawals. This has been a journey it's been so rough I live in Boston Massachusetts and flew California to have the surgery I flew home last week and feel I can't function. I just want to get better.

kzaley :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I vote to wait at least 12 hours and start low like 1mg to test the waters. Wait an hour and try 1 more mg etc..

To anyone reading and getting surgery in the future: I took 1.5 mg sub along with my vicodin after my recent surgery. It worked out very well I highly reccomend it.

Good luck kzaley!!

-Glen B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:32 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My only experience is with people who were taking full agonists for only a few days. Those people only have to wait about 12 hours to restart the sub. But you've been on it for three full weeks. If I were you, I'd wait more than 12 hours. Just to be on the safe side I'd pull the COWS sheet up and watch your symptoms and do a full re-induction. I'd say you have enough in your system that sub could easily kick it off your receptors and knock you into precipitated withdrawals. I say wait longer to be on the safe side. Good luck.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

kzaley, I agree with hatmaker. I'd wait a little longer than 12 hours just to be safe. But you have probably already started your sub again since it's been almost 24 hours since your post. Come back and let us know what you decided and how you are doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:31 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I know it's been a while but just wonderered how it all went. I've decided to have a breast augmentation and tummy tuck, but the first thought I had was, how will I make this work with sub? I am on a pretty low dose, no more than 4mg a day, and have only been on it consistently about a month. I am starting to taper it down as quickly and as much as possible, without causing too much discomfort.
I wondered how I was gonna do it, and this approach sounds right for me...that is, getting on opiates for a little while before the surgery, use them after, then go back to sub. (unless I feel like I could just kick it all to the curb during that time, but in that kind of pain I'm not sure that's really reasonable). I definitely don't want to be on sub long term, just personal choice, but I must admit it sure has been helpful!

Anyway...the surgery part made me nervous, because I really want to do it! But....
I hesitate to bring that paperwork with me because of the risk of them NOT being understanding and not giving me what I'd need to manage my pain. I'll have to give it some thought.

Any input is welcome!!
I don't know when I'll do it but I want to fairly soon...realistically with my busy schedule, it might have to wait til January when things slow down. That would give me time to get real low, or even off, if I could handle that.

Thanks.

Post subject: Help! Surgery in 5 days
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello, I am new to the talk zone. But have been reading the posts on the surgery in sub all week. I have been in subaxone for 5 yrs and I fell almost 2yrs ago and broke my heel bone. I was on subaxone 4mg when I fell. I was in the most pain I ever had and never told anyone I was on it. Asked for a nerve block and was on a pain pump. I was terrified to tell anyone because i am a nurse. I work with some of the people treating me and didn't want it to effect my job. I need reconstructive surgery on my foot. I walk with a limp now and have screws and a Achilles tendon that badly needs repair. Been putting it off for almost 2yrs now. But I saw a surgeon last week because of increased pain and swelling and now I'm scheduled for surgery in 5 days. I tapered and stopped sub 4 days ago. I'm taking hydrocodone but having some wd. Idk what to do I'm so scared of telling anyone about the sub. But I'm also scarred of having the same pain I had last time post op. PLEASE HELP! I'm thinking about canceling the surgery but I can't stay in pain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You've come to the right place for tons of info on taking suboxone and getting surgery. There is a print out in the doctors blog that you can give to your surgeon and nurses just to inform them of what kind of pain meds you're going to need.

Aside.

I'm flabbergasted at how again someone can take suboxone every day and see how it's spelled right on the packaging every day but still murder it's spelling.

Don't mean to be... Mean.

Just blows my mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I had my wisdom teeth pulled after I tapered off of Suboxone. I was in pain but when I started taking the full agonist (Vicodin) it helped but I needed alot more to keep the pain at bay.

I would taper down as low as you can get before surgery and make sure the doctor is aware that you are on Suboxone.

Good luck with everything!

Post subject: Sub and Surgery
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:55 pm 

Hi Scared1 and welcome to the forum!

Your situation is not unique and you really shouldn't worry about it too much. If you are having some w/d symptoms go ahead and take a small amount of Suboxone. The mixture of Sub and Hydrocodone won't cause you any problems. If you've read most of the posts in this section then you also read about taking a small amount of hydro with Sub for pain relief. Considering you've switched over to hydro completely a small amount won't cause you to slid backwards. Just do it only when absolutely necessary.

So far you've done everything right. The longer you are away from Sub and are completely on hydro the better. Just watch your intake.

You know more so than I that telling your surgeon you are on Suboxone will not go any further. He/she would not violate the HIPPA laws and jeopardize their practice by saying anything about you to someone else. Don't worry about that one. Your surgeon should be the only one who knows. They are the one who will prescribe post op pain meds. Tell him you need something way stronger than hydro. Some strong Oxycodone or Fentanyl should help your pain. Just be so careful about taking them as prescribed. Remember why you are on Suboxone.

r62

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:31 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Rule is right-you can add a very small amount of suboxone to the full agonist you're taking. It will help with the pain, keep you from having withdrawals, and it should also help to keep you from feeling any of the effects of the full agonist (not that you probably would, depending on how much sub you normally take and how long you've been on it).

Dr. Junig presented this method a short time ago and here's his blog post about it. It links to a slide show. The first 18 slides are mostly history of opiates, etc, but it's more specific to this method starting on slide 19.

Good luck!

http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/uncoupl ... lk+Zone%29

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:38 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I am having full tummy tuck and breast augmentation also some lipo. I have been waiting a years to get this done and finally I have the money and help. I have posted on here before but did not get any help or advice. I am so scared that I will be in horrible pain and nothing will help. but finaly my search is stop in dubai at cocona Breast Augmentation dubai, this is a best in Breast Augmentation surgery.