It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Surgery Part 2
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:34 pm 

Hey All,

Got home last night from the hospital where they did the radical neck dissection. Got a huge scar running from my right ear, across and below my throat and up half the left side of my face. The nerve on my right side is stretched so I'm sort of paralyzed on that side. Doc said it could take up to 6-9 months to return to normal if it does at all. No matter, small price to pay to have the cancer out and I can talk just fine. My smile looks demented though!

Had to call Romeo for a sympathetic ear concerning receiving adequate pain meds. My surgeon once again only prescribed 7.5 Hydro once every 4 hours so I was in mild w/d's almost the whole two days I was there. I did convince him to up it to 10mgs on day 2. When I tried to discuss my Sub and tolerance problem he literally said "I don't want to discuss it". Of course that pissed me off to no end so I called my good buddy to let off steam.

In truth, most of it was my addiction talking. I really wasn't feeling that bad and wanted to at least feel the pills. Most just sweating and of course very little sleep for two nights. My regular Sub dr. did say I should be on Morphine but didn't want to call my surgeon, he just referred me to a pain clinic. Haven't called them yet.

So now I'm home and can take two instead of one and at least feel some pain relief finally. Could I do with the prescribed one every 4 hours? Yes, but I don't want to. Once again it's my addicted brain talking there. I'll be back on my Sub in awhile and all will be back to normal in no time.

That's it, I lived, even though I look like Frankenstein.

Rule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

For all that you've been through Rule, you sound remarkably positive and even-keeled. If I had to go through 2 painful surgeries without adequate pain control - not to mention an unsympathetic douchebag of a surgeon - I'd probably have burned down a building by now. So my hat is off to you for your ability to maintain and keep perspective.

I hope your recovery goes well! Keep us posted.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You stole my line!! I was gonna make a Frankenstein reference, but ya beat me to it!!

Bottom line, I'm thrilled the surgery was successful, that's THEE most important thing here. Your surgeon is one of the best in the world, he just happens to be a raging jackass. The fact that you're taking it all in stride is stunning Rule. Like Diary said, I'd be looking to burn/destroy something right about now, but you're just chugging along like no one business. Kudo's to YOU!!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am thrilled the surgery was a success. Like the others said you have an amazing attitude about this whole thing considering your Dr is a HUGE EGOTISTICAL ASSHOLE! If only he was more like you maybe you would have gotten the care you deserve. On a positive note, you'll be a kick-ass Frankenstein on Halloween!

I wish you a speedy recovery, keep us posted!

Post subject: Re: Surgery Part 2
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:14 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

rule62 wrote:
Hey All,

Got home last night from the hospital where they did the radical neck dissection. Got a huge scar running from my right ear, across and below my throat and up half the left side of my face. The nerve on my right side is stretched so I'm sort of paralyzed on that side. Doc said it could take up to 6-9 months to return to normal if it does at all. No matter, small price to pay to have the cancer out and I can talk just fine. My smile looks demented though!

Had to call Romeo for a sympathetic ear concerning receiving adequate pain meds. My surgeon once again only prescribed 7.5 Hydro once every 4 hours so I was in mild w/d's almost the whole two days I was there. I did convince him to up it to 10mgs on day 2. When I tried to discuss my Sub and tolerance problem he literally said "I don't want to discuss it". Of course that pissed me off to no end so I called my good buddy to let off steam.

In truth, most of it was my addiction talking. I really wasn't feeling that bad and wanted to at least feel the pills. Most just sweating and of course very little sleep for two nights. My regular Sub dr. did say I should be on Morphine but didn't want to call my surgeon, he just referred me to a pain clinic. Haven't called them yet.

So now I'm home and can take two instead of one and at least feel some pain relief finally. Could I do with the prescribed one every 4 hours? Yes, but I don't want to. Once again it's my addicted brain talking there. I'll be back on my Sub in awhile and all will be back to normal in no time.

Rule

Dear Rule,

I am so glad they got all the cancer and you are doing so well. I am sorry you had such a hard time with the pain control, however, you doctor sounds like a major asshole. But the main thing is you are ok. I am praying for you a speedy recovery.

Slipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Rule, So very happy that the surgery is behind you. You are so brave and strong. You have the right attitude. I hope you can rest now and get back to life as usual. You are an amazing person and I am sending positive thoughts and wishes for you and your family... Remember that everything happens for a reason. Had you got adequte meds, it might have created a difficult situation in the long run..... You are a trooper........1000 Blessings Rule.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:03 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Rule - thanks so much for the update. I've been thinking about you a lot. You didn't mention it, but I assume the surgery was a success in that they got all the cancer?

Like everyone else, I'm stunned that your mother-fucking doctor thinks what he gave you is sufficient to address you pain after that kind of super painful surgery. You know, if what you're taking isn't sufficient to keep you out of withdrawals or enough to address your pain, you CAN add a small amount of bupe to your full agonist pain meds. But it sounds like you have enough for treat your pain. If I were you I wouldn't worry too much about how much you're taking. I say this because what they did to you and the pain you're likely in DESERVES ADEQUATE PAIN RELIEF. PERIOD. ENOUGH SAID.

It's obvious that you're being careful about what you're taking and keeping an eye on it so it doesn't get out of control, but otherwise, just please address your pain. I cannot imagine what you're going through right now. Hell, I can't even imagine how you're sitting at a computer typing this!

Take care and we're all here for you. :P

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:50 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

rule62 wrote:
Hey All,

Rule

Thanks for sharing. I hope you are feeling better too!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:51 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

rule62 wrote:
Hey All,

Rule

Thanks for sharing. I hope you are feeling better too!

Post subject: Slowly but Surely
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:50 pm 

Thanks All for the kind words.

Sitting here yesterday thinking about my experience and again am considering calling a malpractice attorney and see if they will at least listen to my story.

Could care less about the money, what I want done is to make sure all doctors, especially surgeons, are up to date on how to treat patients for pain who are on either Suboxone or Methadone. We are all being dealt an injustice. Doctors need to read up on this or take some kind of course so they at least know what the drug is.

At the hospital, most RN's and helpers never even heard of Sub. How long has this drug been on the market? 6-7 years? And even my Radiation Oncologist had no clue what it was. But at least he said he'll read up on it and also said he will prescribe me whatever will work for pain.

Breezy, you've said a doctor can prescribe Sub for pain w/o that special number? I may need to research this one.

Thanks Again everyone, I'm healing fairly well. Shaving is quite dicey though.

Rule