It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've done so much reading I'm going blind, and quite confused so I just decided to start a new thread.

I'm having surgery in 3 days and my Suboxone doctor told me to stop taking the Sub 36 to 48 hours prior to surgery and everything should be fine. I don't plan to use any narcotics, opiates, etc. after surgery or any kind, Suboxone actually helps with my pain, *to some extent* but I'm not going to go back on narcotics for this surgery, then back on Suboxone, so.....anyone have any comments or suggestions? I've tried to talk to my anesthesiologist numerous times, they said it would be the morning of surgery, well that's a little late for me to make my decisions....

So, minus any suggestions here, I guess I'll go with the 36 hours before surgery, following my doctors advice and tell the anesthesiologist when I last took the Sub, and plan on a lot of pain. Heck it couldn't be worse than the pain I've already been through getting off 100 mcg. of Fentanyl and Norco at the same time....well I guess it could be, but I refuse to take any narcotics after this surgery, and my Suboxone doctor and I discussed this, she said she might up my dose of Suboxone after surgery and also gave me something called Zipsor, which I have no clue what it is other than a non-narcotic pain medication of some kind.

Thanks in advance for any advice, or help.

Kathy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi sky-queen,

I don't know if you saw it yet or not, but I responded to you in the other surgery thread (horselover's). Basically I said that going off sub 36-48 hours before surgery is about right, although many doctors will even say 3-5 days. But then what would we do about the withdrawals?? That's the main problem if you're not going to be getting any pain meds with the surgery. Like on horselover's thread - that situation is quite different from yours, I believe.

My question to you is this. If you won't need pain meds after the surgery, why are you stopping the suboxone at all? You need to stop it so that the pain meds work, not really for any other reason. You don't need to stop it for the general anesthesia. If I needed a procedure and knew I wasn't going to take any opiates (and it seems that you have your mind set on it), I wouldn't taper down my sub. I see no reason for it. It's quite unfortunate that you haven't been able to reach the anesthesiologist. S/he could have gone over all this with you. UGH.

You should have the link to that NIH article from the other thread. Otherwise, it's the very first sticky thread in the "LINKS" section on the Index page.

Let me know if you have more questions, but I hope this helps.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

THANK YOU!!! See this is what I was thinking, if I'm not using any pain killers why do I have to stop the Sub? I assumed since my Sub doctor told me this, it had something to do with the general anesthesia. Ok, so now this makes sense, and I'm going to call again and try to talk to that anesthesiologist, I could save myself some needless suffering, and I think I'll be having plenty after surgery but I'll survive, I would rather get hit by a train than put an opiate in my mouth, other than Suboxone that is.

Thank you so much, you made me feel better! I'm going to keep bugging them until she calls me back...it just wasn't adding up for me, like I said I assumed it had something to do with the anesthesia....I swear, it's so hard to just get an answer, ya know??

Thanks again!!! You made me smile, first time all day :D

I love this forum, people who understand Suboxone!!

Thanks again!!!!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You are very welcome. Stick around here and soon you'll be explaining this stuff to new members yourself. Really, everything I know about suboxone I learned from this forum and Dr. Junig. There are other articles in that same "Links" section that you might want to peruse as well, some on the same subject.

I hope you can reach the anesthesiologist. And good luck with the surgery. Be well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:15 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

it interferes with a marijuana buzz, is it possible to effect the anesthesia? Is it possible to switch from sub to opiate & back? I carry a card under my drivers license that says I am on Suboxone and to call a number. Everyone should have this on them at all times. I would hate to be in an accident and have them hook me up to an IV with opiates. Gives me nightmares! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

A person on suboxone can be given full agonists without any problems. It's when they do it the other way around that it can cause precipitated withdrawals. The problem with needing "regular" opiates for acute pain is trying to get adequate pain relief with suboxone both blocking other opiates and the high tolerance it tends to give give us. Oh and suboxone won't interfere with any anesthesia, unless they are using say Fentanyl along with it,which they sometimes do. This is why we explain that we're on suboxone to the anesthesiologist.

I've also never heard and don't see how it can have any effect on marijuana, but I'd love to see studies to that effect.

Last edited by hatmaker510 on Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:27 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Many (including myself) think that you should listen to your doctors if they do put you on pain meds post surgery. Give them to someone you trust and have them give them to you according to the doctors orders. Taking medication as prescribed is something we need to learn how to do. I think that is one of the big benefits of Sub, it allows us to teach ourselves to take medication properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:44 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I had a friend on subs get a hysterectomy and have no opiates. She recieved toradol shots every day and was in such agony. I had my sugery then I quit but now am facing another surgery and am not sure I want to go through what i saw her go through:( Very scared! Let us know how it went and what you chose.