It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: surgery on May 11
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:15 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

I have a planned C-sEction on May11, i can go without subutex for seven days, i only take 3-4mg a day, so is that enough time to feel the pain meds???? I am getting my tubes tied at the same time. is my tolarace going to be high? i mean will percocet 5/325 be enough to help me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:51 pm 
You have a good plan in place....keep your dose at 4mg/day or less, then stop it completely 5-7 days prior to your C/S. By following that plan you should be in a pretty good position for your pain meds to work. If I understand correctly, though, you still are going to have a high tolerance to opiates. That does not magically go away in a week's time. You wll more than likely need more than 5mg of oxycodone for your post op pain. The good news is that after a C/S and tubal, if there are no complications, you should not need narcotic pain meds for more than a few days. Be sure and ask them to give you Toradol in the hospital too.....it is an awesome NSAID and works great after surgery. But, truly, after the first few days are over, you shouldn't need more than Advil! Yea!! then you can get back on your Sub.

Post subject: Almost time!!!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:30 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Kris,

First off...wow....I can't believe the time is rapidly approaching!!! Sub issues aside, are you as excited as I imagine?? How are you feeling overall? Ready to have the baby?

Most importantly, I think you should check in with your doctor, and make sure to set up a taper schedule with your OB and sub doctor....that way everyone knows what is going on.

As far as pain control, I agree with setmefree...you're going to have a high tolerance. To compare, I was on sub for about 3 months (Aug - Oct.) when I did my first taper (b/f I relapsed). I was completely off of everything for about 5-6 weeks before I relapsed. Before taking sub, it usually took AT LEAST 30mg of hydro for me to feel anything, and I usually took about 40-50mg at a time (several times a day). After taking the sub (during the relapse in December), I had to take like 50mg to feel anything. Obviously this wasn't for pain control, but I think it is an ok comparison.

Some things I would do:

1. Dr. Junig has a blog entry about pain control post-surgery (search "Acute pain e.g. surgery while taking Suboxone" and it should come up). I would recommend printing that, along with any other medical articles you can find, and bringing a copy of it for your ob....and maybe even one for the anesthesiologist in pre-op (they often write the pain control orders post-op).

2. There is another blog entry by Dr. Junig where he talks about a patient on sub who had an emergency C-section (search "Suboxone and Anesthesia; Suboxone vs. ‘Recovery’"...it is from September 20, 2008)

3. Read the "suboxone and surgery" thread...especially Hatmaker's posts on that topic....she has a lot of personal experience being on suboxone and having and surgery, and will be an excellent source of information.

4. Work with your doctor to come up with a plan for pain management after surgery and at home....it might help to have this in writing so that you can make sure everyone is on the same page at the hospital....if you have a birth plan, maybe make it a part of that?

4. Be honest with all the doctors and nurses that you work with in the hospital, and don't be afraid to ask for pain meds if you need them!!!! Don't let anyone make you feel bad about yourself. Just because you are an addict, doesn't mean you don't have real pain, and doesn't mean you should suffer in silence. If anyone gives you any crap, makes you feel bad, or refuses to help you, ask to speak to their superior...don't just put up and shut up....if your doctor orders pain meds for you, you have a right to take them. Unfortunately, even though you're not going to feel great, it is up to you to advocate for yourself.

5. Get back on the sub asap....then, enjoy the baby!!!

I think that having a good plan in place will really help reduce your anxiety and make the birth a more positive experience. I hope everything goes well for yo and the baby....keep us updated!!

E

Subs Not Drugs!!!

"Don't hope for a life without problems. An easy life results in a judgmental and lazy mind."
- Zen Master Kyong Ho

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:41 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

I told my OB a long time about about the subutex, he just cleared it and told me it was ok to take. He hasn't even metioned anything about it since I was about 30 weeks. I think he may have forgotten I was on it. I have had a rough go because I would take it for six days, stop for seven days, take for nine days, stop for five days, so now I am back on it. I have 13 days left, i just wanted to stop right now and not say anything to the hosptial :( but I should I know. I guess I was scared they wouldn't give me pain meds, I got a legal scrpit that I will take with me. I was going to tell them I was taking it for pain, i didn't want them to know the real real reason, i just didn't want to got there. My sister said she talked to a nurse and she said they take babies away from mother who test postive for drugs, so they will look at me terrible. I heard they test for suboxone now??? But i thought that was a special test. "( I worry about my baby girl w/d so I wanted to just stop today and have 12 days clean that way it would be out of my system and hers.

I am excited but this whole subutex thing just stresses the hell out of me :( I won't be happy until this is done, I know my tolerance will be high and i will have to ask for more then the usual person, but I guess I could always call the sub dr to help, he does suboxne and also does pain mangement. I am going to see him next week and I will ask him if I can call him if i need to for help.

So now it is just a waiting game, i am not even sure i can do without for 13 days

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:44 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

what if the OB refuses to help me :( he can be like that. I mean maybe my sub dr is my only hope.