It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: surgery in a couple days
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am having surgery in 4 days...on the 24th. I know I have to stop the sub before. I am starting to panic on how to do this. I have my script for percs already so am thinking of just taking them. I don't want to be in withdrawal....actually can't be I have to work a lot before I go on vacation for my surgery. So...I was on 4mg of sub a day...2mg twice a day. This morning I took just 1 mg and have not taken anymore. I don't feel great but not too bad. When can I take a percocet without getting sick or something bad happening? I do not want to take sub tomorrow too to just not feel well for another day. I am going back on the sub after I am done with pain meds from my surgery. I don't know...maybe I will take 1mg of sub tomorrow morning too....what should I do to be ready for surgery on the 24th?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:19 pm 
I would talk to your Sub doc and get his recommendation. I don't know what type of surgery you are having, but I would NOT take the percs ahead of time. I'm not a doctor, but personally I would take my regular sub dose until the 22nd and then not take it on the 23rd and then go in for the surgery on the 24th. Withdrawal from sub usually takes a couple of days to start because it stays in your system so long, so i doubt you will suffer any withdrawals. Then take the percs as needed after the surgery. If you're like me an others who have been through this, the percs probably won't do much, and you will probably be eager to go back on the sub, which will probably help your pain. Again, I don't know what you are going in for, so this is just my humble opinion. Talk to your doctor and good luck.
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There is no danger in taking oxycodone (percocet) too soon after taking Suboxone. Nothing bad can happen. While it is true that if you take Suboxone too soon after taking high doses of other narcotics you can get very, very sick from precipitated withdrawal. However, it does not happen in reverse. That said, taking Percocet soon after Suboxone also will not do much of anything for you. That is because your opiate receptors are full of the Suboxone and the Suboxone will not allow any other opiates to get through.

Typically they say to stop your Suboxone 48 hours prior to needing the pain medication. This may or may not be enough time depending on how much Sub you are taking. In your specific case, you are on a "relatively" low dose at 4mg day. At this dose 48 hours may actually work out very well for you.

Lilly is right on target with the advice that she gave you. I completely agree with her in suggesting that you NOT take the Percocet prior to your surgery. Again, even if you do, it will be a complete waste as it won't break through the Sub still in your system. Besides you may really need those after the surgery. It makes no sense to waste them now. Tapering down like it sounds like you've been doing is also a very good idea. The less Sub in your system at surgery, the better your pain meds will work. Follow Lilly's (and my) advice and you should do just fine.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:05 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ok well I made it through yesterday with only taking 1mg of sub....actually it is just generic bup...so I think that is subutex not suboxone. I have been taking it for 6 months...my highest dose was 8mg a day but for the last 2 months I have been on 4mg a day. I wasn't going to take any today....I don't feel too bad. I think I am just anxious about feeling bad. But I do have 3 days till surgery...and my sub doctor had said 48 hours before stop the sub so I guess I should take it today...just 1 mg though since that got me through yesterday. Although I didn't do anything yesterday but relax and today I have to work for 12 hours. I am just so scared of the anesthesia not working that I thought I could just stop the sub now to be extra safe ya know. I am having cosmetic surgery and will only be under for about 1 1/2 hours...but with pretty bad pain afterwards....or so I hear. The worrying about what to do and going into withdrawal and the anesthesia not working is what is making this so hard...lol My sub doctor said as long as I tell the anesthesiologist that I am opiate tolerant and stop it 48 hours before I will be fine....so why can't I just believe her? Sigh......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi jrotanz,

I had surgery (on suboxone) in April and I'll tell you what I did. Because I take suboxone for chronic pain as well as addiction, I'm on a higher dose. So two weeks prior to the surgery I tapered down to 4 mg. So you tapering down as low as you have will, I believe, be helpful when it comes time to take the percs after the surgery. Most doctors say to stop taking sub 2-3 days before surgery. The longer you can go without it, the less pain meds it will take to get to your receptors. So 48 hours is good, but 3 days would be even better. Just my two cents....

(The thread about my surgery is under "Planned Upcoming surgery, April 19th), in case you want to read it, it's got some good stuff on it.)

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.