It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:58 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

......... with a Suboxone taper story. I began 8mg Suboxone treatment maybe 2 years ago. My paticular doctor, a psychiatrist who also practices addiction medicine won't let you stay on the medicine indefinitely. After I'd been on the program for about 6 months he began talk about getting me of Suboxone. So, the prescriptions have been written for less and less amounts since then. Now, I'm down to 1mg a day.

My experience (so far) has not been painful so far as withdrawals go. I haven't had any to speak up, save some muscle twitching that I remember from my Hydro/Oxycodone withdrawal days. Better still, I haven't had the crushing mental anxiety and depression that was characteristic of opiate withdrawal for me.

I hope this last 1mg goes half as easy, because I have absolutely no choice in the matter... I am coming off Suboxone for better or worse, like it or not. So far, I've had no cravings for anything, and no intention of resuming using. But, there's still 1mg between me and that.

Good luck to all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congrats on your taper and your ability to stay symptom free during your taper.Many people say that at the 2mg.mark they start to experience some issues, but I believe it is because they know it will soon be the end, so to speak.Your story is very valuble to people in Suboxone treatment, please keep us posted on your progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:40 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'd rather not get off the stuff! I think I should be on Suboxone for the long-term. But, I have no choice in the matter... I have to get off Suboxone. My particular psychiatrist has the goal of "100% drug free"... and that includes Suboxone. I have no psychiatric issues requiring frequent visits, and only have to visit him every 3-4 months. Next time I see him, I want to ask about the success rate of his patients who have discontinued the used of Suboxone. He's a great guy, and doesn't rush the detox, but maybe reality will change his views. Meanwhile, I'm thinking of trying to find a long-term doctor much as I hate to. It takes me a long time to establish rapport with anyone concerning personal issues, clinicians included.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Have you talked with your doctor about what you'll do if you have a hard time once you're off the Sub?

My insurance coverage has run out (medicaid only covers Suboxone for 12 months in my state, but I got a 6 month extention) so that's why I'm going off. I feel ready to do it though. If I didn't feel ready, I'd probably be pitching a fit right now.

Anyway, my plan is that if I feel overwhelmingly like going back on the pain meds once I'm done with Sub, I will just go back on a very low dose. I'm comortable with that.

It might be worth brining up with your doctor anyway.

-Jack Kornfield