It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Finally beginning to feel ok again after going down to 8mg Suboxone per day. Starting to get back into positive daily routine. I am in the Columbus Ohio area and need to start looking for a support group of people working on opiate addiction issues. Not sure where to start and its not clear to me if any of the twelve step groups support addicts using buprenorphine. Outside of private counseling are there any groups in the Columbus area that would provide support.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I do not know about your area but I would look into S.M.A.R.T. Recovery. It is based on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and is a support group based on science, not a higher power or 12 step.

I was reading yesterday, the official bulletin on NA & their relation to maintenance therapy ~
https://www.na.org/?ID=bulletins-bull29

NA is allowed per group whether they want you to be there at all. But in general they would prefer if you be there, you not participate in any real degree. But they do not take a stance on whether or not it is truly recovery but echo that it is a total abstinence program.

In my experience 12 step is largely incompatible with maintenance and a lot of people find they have to keep their maintenance program a secret around their 12-step of choice.

I have recently been showing back up to AA/NA. I go for the sense of community. But I know in my heart of hearts most people there would not consider my program to be recovery.

But there are a lot of people on suboxone who go to 12 step here, and they may have a more positive outlook than me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:17 am 

There's definitely SMART recovery like iggy suggested, there's also a Celebrate Recovery, which around my area it's mostly in churches. The Celebrate Recovery I've been to was in a church but was ran just like a group meeting with everyone having the chance to share. So it's a good option for some ppl. NA is what it is, most don't support buprenorphine so if u can get past that part then u may be ok with it. My favorite of all is my clinic has meetings for all the patients to attend. So it's a bunch of ppl on buprenorphine supporting each other by sharing and discussing topics that we choose to talk about. Do u know if ur doctor or clinic offers that type of thing? I've actually learned a lot of different programs happening in my surrounding area from different ppl at my clinic. If u ask around, they usually know if any type of meetings going on and where. So maybe, if u ever have the opportunity to speak with some of the other patients, they can tell ya a bit about what's happening in ur area :)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for all your feedback. I found SMART meeting locations for my area and will attempt to attend and see how it goes. My doctor just started offering counseling services and I will see how and what they provide. I went to a NA meeting and they announced at the start of the meeting that they require abstinence for participation and I just listened and kept to myself. It was very awkward but I did not want to let it be negative and I do not want to do that again. I will make a effort to locate a support group somehow. I am just very grateful for the Suboxone regiment I am and for now I do not want to mess it up. All of you have a great day and again thanks for taking the time to respond. I am so very glad I found this site it helps to have the feedback.

Take time today to tell your loved ones that you care!
Rick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Awesome, I am glad you were able to find SMART groups in your area friend :) Would you drop in and let us know how it goes for you, if you attend? I am interested in hearing more peoples opinions of them who are on suboxone therapy.

Yeah the NA thing is awkward. I think 12 step is operating under outdated medical points of view imo. Its a shame too because it has a monopoly on the recovery business and I worry many people will never get the support they need due to associated shaming around 12 step circles to maintenance therapy. Anyway that's another story.

Have a good day!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Countless people who go to NA die, who might have stayed alive if they were open to the idea of being on Suboxone, at least until they knew they were relatively "in the clear" from their addiction. It's NA's stuff, not yours.

SMART is great. They aren't interested in what medication you take to assist with your addiction. In my experience they don't even ask and if you do disclose it's like "whatever floats your boat" kinda attitude. Kicks ass.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

rclark wrote:
Take time today to tell your loved ones that you care!

Wow, Thanks, perfect timing to get that reminder.

jennjenn glad you mentioned Celebrate Recovery. The website says 12 step Christian based but in my experience, no faith questions were asked. In fact the leaders assumed folks might not have a faith, left their faith or are pissed at God. The only assumption is that the attendee has or knows of someone who has some kind of 'life hangup'. I know good folks that run these and I have referred folks. Its not opiate addiction specific but it is uplifting and very very kind which is exactly what many need when feeling overwhelmed and alone. I guess if someone were willing to do NA 12 steps in spite of NA rejecting bup, then Celebrate Recovery 12 steps might be a good place to try - its non judgemental of MAT or psychiatric meds and like I said, lots of good folks run and good folks go to these.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:57 am 

Yes pelican! I'm so glad ur familiar with Celebrate Recovery too! Like I said I don't have a ton of experience with it but when I went it wasn't judgmental at all and I don't remember religion being mentioned really. Where I went, everyone was sitting around this big table just sharing and if u didn't want to share u didn't have to. There was several members of that church in the meeting because they too had an addiction. Not judgmental at all and if I were going to attend any other meetings outside my clinic, CR would be where I'd go in my particular area. There's more of those around where I'm from :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:14 pm 

I'm very glad that you were able to find some SMART meetings in the Columbus area! I know that Columbus has a fairly large metro area. (My uncle lives in Galloway.) It can take a while to cross town, so I hope the meetings are convenient enough for you. One of the things I like about SMART is that it so engages your mind! You are called upon frequently to reframe your experiences into ways that give you ownership over your ability to affect change. You're not asked to feel helpless and or acknowledge that you are not in charge. Instead, you are asked to use the tools provided to make a positive impact on your addiction, whatever that may be. I'm interested to hear what you think about the meetings.

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Word Amy ... and the meetings are actually interactive and everyone contributes to the dialogue, unlike 12-step meetings where you end up sitting in a chair for 90 minutes. Half the time I end up on Facebook or Tinder when I'm in an NA meeting, they're that boring.