It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:19 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/regio ... story.html

I think this is genius! They need heroin shooting bars everywhere and asap. Many lives will be saved. Clean needles for everyone must be a must! Now there won't be needles scattered everywhere, they can be safely disposed of at the facility. And they can check your pulse to make sure ur still alive

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:44 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Frank, I completely agree. I think this is controversial for pretty obvious reasons, but it is worth a try. In fact, just giving an addict a sense of dignity, a clean needle, medical monitoring and referral for treatment if people would agree. I like the idea and think it's worth a try. Can it be worse than homeless addicts living and overdosing under bridges, or parks or libraries, leaving their needles and sometimes their lives behind? A lot of places it's gotten really bad out there.

In Philadelphia a Library is right next to "Needle Park", you can guess why it may be called that. High addicts wander into the library for a safe place to stay for a few hours. Some overdose in the library. Some overdose before they get to the library. The librarians administer Narcan on a daily basis, saving lives. No one told these librarians to do this, they decided of their own accord that they would have Narcan on hand and learned how to use it. But the good librarians can't provide any further medical care or refer the people to treatment, etc.

So, yes, I agree, I think it is a good idea, in time when many, many other ideas have failed.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:53 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I saw that story on I think it was Vice. I live and used to cop near philly and I can say it is afflicted terribly. They had 50 overdoses in one day recently. It's truly terrible

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Injecting rooms save lives. I used the one in Sydney's King's Cross a few times in the early 2000's. It's like a sterile hairdressing salon, with nurses standing around ready in case of emergency. And you're meant to stay for 10-15 minutes after your dose so they can monitor you. You sit in this room out back, drink cheap instant coffee or eat stale biscuits and make new drug connections with the others (though don't tell conservatives that bit).

The ONE thing I don't like about them is the needless politicisation that accompanies them. It's ridiculous. The Green / Liberal left are all PRO injecting rooms no matter what, and the conservatives are always against them. This politicisation push/pull fucks with the science and the harm minimisation.

The Sydney facility is SO scared of having ONE fatal overdose (they haven't had one in the many years it's been open), that they don't let people in who are intoxicated with alcohol. The organisation that runs the facility knows that if they have one fatal overdose, it'll potentially shut down the place, so they actually take measures to minimise that risk by turning away some of those who are most vulnerable to overdose risk - those that are drunk.

This is because politics is more powerful than science, and facilities like InSite in Toronto and Uniting MSIC in Sydney are on such a political knife's edge that it stops them providing the best harm min services they can. So fuck off Green Left Progressives and Fuck Off FoxNews Conservatives, and let the doctors and nurses do the best job they can to save as many lives as possible.

I'm quite opinionated about this because I know someone who OD'd after being turned away from the MSIC for being drunk.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:46 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I can imagine this idea has ruffled some feathers trying to get off the ground. It's very forward-thinking for sure. I think the smartest thing to do is look at the numbers. In the Vancouver clinic they reduced mortality by 35 percent and had an increase of those seeking detoxification treatment by 30 percent. That's an amazing improvement for such a relatively young program. I mean we are talking about real lives saved here!!

Granted one of the early arguments is that these numbers only count for the times people were using inside the clinic. And we all know that IV users especially use multiple times per day (usually but not always). Still, this is progress no matter how small, because small could equal one single human life and I think it's worth trying for a single life.

I only fear that people that live in these neighborhoods will always fall victim to the stigma surrounding drug use with needles. I think they will make it very hard to open up and maintain one of these kinds of places in the United States. But if we don't try we'll never know. We owe it to ourselves as a society to try every logical option.

- OM