It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: sugar craving!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:07 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

My girlfriend has been craving sugar since on suboxone. I've talked with herion addicts and opioid addicts that crave sugar as well in active addiction. I read on a google that sugar releases natural opiates in ones body. Is this true? Do any of you crave sugar? Her Dr. told her, "craving sugar is just part of it." I'D love to hear Dr. Junig weigh in on this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've heard the same thing - that opiates is correlated in some people to an increased sweet tooth. I honestly don't know why but like you said, maybe Dr. J will see this. On the other side of the spectrum, some people go on suboxone and actually lose weight. Personally, I've always had a pretty bad sweet tooth, so I don't think for me it's at all related to opiates. But that's just me.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've loved sugar my whole life, especially in the form of chocolate!! This love of chocolate began well before I started abusing drugs and continues even to this day. Personally, I didn't really notice this particular craving get any worse while on opiates, but I have heard others who are on opiates mention their cravings for sugar have increased.

As far as sugar releasing natural opiates in ones body, eating anything releases 'natural opiates' in our bodies. The simple act of eating triggers a release of dopamine in our brains. Now, some foods are thought to trigger a higher release of dopamine than others, I'm just not sure where sugar falls as far as the amount of dopamine it would cause to be released.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: I luv sugar
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I luv sugar like nobody's business, and I'm a recovering drunk. One of the FIRST things I noticed at meetings was how much coffee AND sweet stuff people ate. Some old dude told me "watch out, or you'll get sugar diabetes like me." Well, I didn't take his advice, lol. I eat sugar everyday. Maybe it's something ADDICTS do, period. I feel like I'm going to lose my mind when we have no sugar in the house.

One time, I made a grand attempt to nix the sugar habit. I got a bunch of those sugar-free suckers. They have really yummy ones, especially the Baskin and Robbins flavors. It absolutely worked. I don't know why I quit eating them instead. Thanks for reminding me!

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes,yes,yes i'm not big shugar consumer,but since i'm on soboxone I can't stop eating shugar, especially skittles,o my god. If any of my familly or friends are reding this they would know it is me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've always loved sugar, but now that I'm on Sub it's worse than ever!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:56 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Yeah, I am quite concerned about the amount of sugar I'm having, though it was the same on other opiates. The main problem is that my normal appetite has changed, and I am craving sugar rather than proper foods for mealtimes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I feel the same way. I always loved sweets, but I always ate proper meals. Now I would prefer to just have sweets and not even bother with regular food. Thank God I have kids I have to make healthy meals for. Otherwise I would be on pure junk food. Ug.

Post subject: Me too!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, Queenie too!

I crave sweets all the time. Before Subs I wasn't a big sweets eater. But since being on subs I crave cake, cookies, candy & especially Ice Cream.

Thank goodness I am thin because I am gaining weight. I thought it was just me but now I see others are craving sweets too.

Hugs to everyone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:29 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

One way to fight sugar cravings while on Suboxone is to take Magnesium daily. There is something about the Magnesium that helps with the sugar cravings and it will also help with restless legs at night and help with muscle spasms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have cousins that have taken meth for years and just crave sugar like no other.

I've been on methadone and Norco for many years due to injury but never abused drugs really. When I switched to suboxone, along with my appetite, I lost all cravings for sugar which I'm happy about as I had a sweet tooth anyway.

One thing I've noticed since reading about Suboxone, is that people can just have quite the opposite side effects. Seems there is no rhyme or reason to it. To me so far at least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:11 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Before my relapse I was an obnoxiously healthy eater: Lot's of veggies, nothing fried, no processed sugars.
Now that I'm on Suboxone all I want to eat is Chocolate, McDonald's and Coca Cola. :roll: