It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:41 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

A lot of you prob don't know me yet but I've been a successful sub patient for almost 2 years, and in that time I've experienced great relief from cravings and chronic pain. I'm in my early 20s and I'm trying to get my friend help without doing so before she's ready for it.

This morning she told me she's been relapsing and goes on a binge for something like a couple weeks at a time. Up until this point I thought she was doing really well, both she and her SO had a bad heroin habit and got help I think more than a year ago and seemed to be doing great attending meetings all that. I started telling her it might be time to find resources for sub cuz when handled properly it's a great treatment as far as we know given the statistics to back it up. She said she's been on it before and that she'd def consider going back on it but she lives with her mother who is completely anti sub anti methadone (she's a nice lady but I'm thinking ugggggghhhh) and she doesn't want to have to tell her mom about her relapse especially when it'd be in the interest of a getting a treatment she doesn't accept as recovery. I gave her the shpiel, that she should show her this forum, show her the statistics and compare them against the god awful abstinence based strict orthodox 12 step stats, dr Carl Junigs papers, and make clear that it's not the same thing as methadone meaning that she won't have to increase her dose when it stops working as well as it used to. But in order to get her moms help and approval (no sneaking around) she'll have to tell her where she's at, and I can understand how scary that is. I'm just trying to help her realize a life without chasing and hiding is worth the hardship of exposing oneself. Going through some of that shit in really shameful ways I think I'm pretty good at knowing what to say to help her imagine the possibilities but still... Am I leaving anything out?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have a couple recordings for family members; one is called 'how long are you going to take that stuff' and the other is 'opioid dependence treatment options'. Both are intended for patients OR parents/spouses, to try to get the point across that opioid dependence, like it or not, is a relapsing condition. If I spoke to her mother, I would say 'how would you deal with the guilt, if you find her in your basement, dead from an overdose?'

The recordings are at www.addict-ed.com but if you send me an email (to drj@fdlpsych.com) I will send you the link to download them for free.

She may have to just get to the point herself, where she wants to straighten out so much that she tells her mom to 'bugger off'. It is hard to watch.... but it sounds like you know the problems of getting TOO involved, too soon.