It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:53 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I thought since most of what I read about the use of Rapid Detox and Naltrexone has been negative I thought I'd share my story since it has turned out to be positive, although it's definitely not what a lot of the Internet advertisements say about it in terms of how easy it is.

Background: Started using coke my sophomore year of college and later realized that vikes are great to avoid the comedown. That lifestyle lead to the gradual use of H instead vikes as it was easier to come by. I went from snorting to IV in the matter of a year and speedballs become my DOC. I spent about 2.5-3 years using before I a family friend recommended an addiction Dr who introduced to me Suboxone. I spent the last 6 years on subs which I credit for allowing me to get my life in order and hold a normal job, etc. However, I feel the last 3 years I was dealing with side effects which I credit to the subs and my personal brain chemistry, things like anxiety, depression, mood swings ( being motivated during parts of the day and dragging during others).

My Dr actually suggested the rapid detox to me which he performs out of a regular hospital and everything is billed to my insurance because he doesnt mention addiction, just the symptoms, nausea, muscle cramps, etc. The detox just cost me my deductible which was around 1400 bucks.

I have been taking 8mg of subs daily divided in 2-4 doses over pretty much the entire 6 years I was taking it. I went into the detox on Dec 20th, 2012 at 4pm. I didnt do any tapering except for the day I went in I just took 4mg in the morning and none in the afternoon like i usually do. By the time i was hooked up to the Narcan .2mg drip in the ICU it was around 10pm. after being on that for about 6-8 hours they started me on the 50mg Naltrexone pill. By the way this was not under any sedation, upon request I had access to Ativan, Zofran, Toradol, and Metocarbamol. Overall, it wasn't as bad as I thought, I've detoxed heroin cold turkey twice and I guess I was expecting that. I went in to the hospital thurs night and left sunday morning with prescriptions for the medications above, except for the toradol. My Dr said most of his sub detoxes usually "broke", meaning felt about 90% or better after 10-14 days of being on the naltrexone. unfortunately for me it took about 21 days. I have been off Ativan for 5 days and naltrexone for 2. Although I'm thinking about experimenting with low dose naltrexone (LDN) with the the leftover I have to continue the healing of the natural endorphin process. I feel about 90% normal. which is huge compared to the PAWS i was having over the last week in terms of lethargy and anxiety. after 10days post starting detox, I was actually sleeping thru the night, usually only waking up once but being able to go back to bed within 30 mins or so. My bowel movements are back to being solid and the only side effect I have left are sweatier than normal pits and hands. As of yesterday I feel I am in a much better mood and have been working out over the last week.

I will update if there are any changes, but I've been back at work for the last week and things seem to get a little better each day. I realize the hardest part is finding a Dr that will do this, being that this is one of the only ones that does it in my state. I agree that their are risks to this as well, but for me it was the right choice and it feels great not to have to take a film everyday to feel normal. It's to my understanding the reason this works is because of the naltrexone speeding up the down regulation of your opiate receptors, which is why if you know the risks, using it to speed up the process instead of enduring months of PAWS seems like a no brainer.

Let me know if anyone has any questions, I hope my experience can help some people out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:11 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

By the way I did plan to use the holidays and my leftover vacation time to make sure I had 2 to 3 weeks of time off. It sucked missing Xmas and New Years with friends and family but it was the only time of the year this was possible. Anyone jumping off from a a taper or doing this detox needs to make sure they have that time.

Post subject: Rapid Detox
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:40 pm 

Wow mdp1182, that was quite a read! Can't say I understand exactly what happened to you with taking Naltrexone to do a fast detox but it appears that it worked great, at least for you.

I suppose we would need to do some research in our own state to find out if there are any doctors who would do this type of treatment. And that was fantastic how your Dr. billed the insurance company w/o stating it was for addiction. It would be great if everyone could find treatment like what you had and with the results you got too. Skipping the long term PAWS makes it almost a perfect way to go. But then not everyone experiences PAWS for a long extent.

I'm glad it all worked out for you and thanks for posting another option for stopping Suboxone.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi and welcome. When someone on short acting opiates like oxy or heroin goes in for rapid detox, the naloxone knocks the opiate off the receptors and puts the prerson into immediate, complete withdrawal. Buprenorphine actually has a HIGHER affinity for the opiate receptor than both naloxone and naltrexone. So even though you received it interveniously, the naloxone did not immediately knock the bupe off your receptors. If it had, you would have gone through hell being awake. This is also why Narcan is ineffective for a bupe overdose. Dr. J has written on this topic in his blog, but unfortunately I can't find the posts. Maybe he will see this post and comment.

Because naloxone can't knock the bupe immediately off the receptors I wonder what your docs thinking was behind hospitalizing you to do this (and how he coded it for the insurance!). You said he says it usually kicks in at about 10-14 days (or 21 for you) so I wonder if you would have had a similar result just stoping the Suboxone and then starting the naltrexone when it was out of your system. In any case, I'm glad you came through it OK and please let us know how it goes from here.
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:14 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for the comments guys. Lilly, I believe they gave me the Narcan as a test before they started me on the naltrexone. To make sure I wouldnt have a bad reaction. I've read about .2mg being a common test to make sure you dont have a bad reaction or have full agonists in your system. I see my Dr on Friday so I'll have to ask some questions about if it matters when you start Naltrexone exactly. But apparently their system seems to work even though I know still have a while to go before I'm completely in the clear. And then there is the whole addiction disease to deal with the rest of my life...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

so glad that the detox worked for you and with little to no pain.i tried the naltrexone when it first came out or at least was made popular around 1996-.i had no idea how fast it would work and after having told my friends mother i was opiate free for at least 2 days she gave me a few of them which i took one tab right there.we got about 10minutes away and my friend had to pull over because the withdrawls kicked in so fast everything was coming out both ends at the same time.that night i was in the worst pain ever.he and my wife took turns wiping me down with cold towels and cleaned up my vomit bucket.by the end of the 2nd day i could stand no more and went to get my doc,heroin,to try and quell the pain.

no matter how much i did it felt like i was pinning pure water.the pain lasted about a week after that on just one tab.making an appmnt with a new doctor in my area to talk about getting on a real sub maintenance program and then to help me wean down to the point i can handle the discomfort.i never imagined the thing that would save me from my addiction would be even harder to come off.

good luck in your recovery.you sound like you're on the right path.please keep us all posted.i love hearing success stories like this one...