It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Success story, I think?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:04 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey all,

Brand spankin new to the forum. I signed up to share my positive experience in an attempt to counter the massive amount of negative, fear-inducing stories about quitting that can be found all over the Internet. This in hopes of inspiring even one person to make the "jump". I don't think I'm completely out of the woods yet, which is why I didn't post this in the "bupe in rearview mirror" section. If there is a more appropriate section for this topic I apologize, feel free to relocate it if necessary. So here goes my story, as best as I can recall it (wish I would've kept notes but so it goes):

I'm a 29 year old guy. I had been abusing mostly Percocet and Vicodin for 2.5 years, about 200mg/day at my worst. I would experiment with other opiates if I couldn't find the two aforementioned DOC, but fortunately never got into H (not a holier than thou thing nor am I talking down to those that have/did. We're all in the same boat here) I finally decided to stop with the PKs about 1.5 years ago, which is when I started on the suboxone. No need to get into the whole spiel about why I decided to get clean, we've all hit our own personal rock bottom... I was prescribed 16mg per day. Fortunately, I did some research and determined that this was too much for me. I started with 8mg/day for probably about 3months. At that point I went down to 4mg for probably about 6months. Before I go further into my dosages, I'd like to disclose that I was not able to go to support groups due to heavy travel for work. I also never told the doc about my desire to taper, mostly bc he wanted to keep me at 16mg a day for a year before considering tapering which I thought was way too much for my level of abuse. So I just continued to fill my script for 60 8mg sub strips per month. I don't like the thought of not being totally up front with your bupe doc but none in my area were willing to work with my travel schedule so I decided stockpiling was my best bet until I decided to just stop going so that I would eventually have to kick them. I knew I had had enough and that I could do it on my own. Anyhow, so at about the 9 month mark I started doing 2mg/day (quarter of 8mg strip. The strips are WAY easier to split up into smaller dosages IMO) I wasn't perfect, I would take 4mg and even 8 once in a while in an attempt to get comfortably numb, but as I'm sure you know, bupe just can't do what your DOC does, so I was pretty good about sticking to my self-imposed regimen. After about 3 months at 2mg/day, I started skipping days. I can't say for sure yet, but I do believe this part is HUGE in successfully quitting Suboxone. Again, I wasn't always perfect about it but was good for the most part bc I was determined to eventually be free of my opiate addiction. I did 2mg every other day for about another 3 months. I never felt any WDs when dropping down to a lower dose nor when I started skipping days. This was very encouraging. It may have been due to being super busy with work but honestly, I didn't feel a bit of withdrawal. At this point I started taking about .5 every day for a few weeks. Again, no ill effects! After a few weeks, I started skipping days again. Then I started taking 1mg every 72 hours. Again, to my surprise, no problems. This was going against everything I had read on the Internet. I figured I would experience at least some minor discomfort but nada. I pretty much stuck to this schedule up until I only had a few strips left, which is when I dropped down to .5 every 48 hrs and then my final 8 mg strip I dosed .5mg every 72hrs, stretching it out over 3 weeks+. The fact that I still hadn't felt any WD was enough to convince me I could actually quit entirely. My last .5mg was taken this past Sunday around noon, 5+ days ago. I have felt next to NO withdrawal symptoms, and aside from a little pot I didn't take anything to counter them. So, like I said at the beginning, I'm not sure that I'm in the clear yet but I'm almost done with my 5th day without and feel almost 100%. I say almost because I came down with a cold. Now, I know that cold/flu like symptoms are common sub WD symptoms, but the fact that it started the same night I took my last dose - I believe it to actually be a cold an not WD symptoms in disguise since I was able to go 72 hours between doses for weeks without feeling sick. I have had no trouble sleeping, no rls to speak of, no GI problems. I did have some bouts of the chills/goosebumps on the first few days but this could have been the cold (or the adderall that my brother gave me while home for the holidays). Regardless, the chill wasn't painful or really uncomfortable at all, just a different sensation. So, since I don't have any support groups, sub docs are often misinformed and the internet can't be relied on, I ask those of you here - am I out of the woods?? I feel pretty great, all things considered and I'm going on day 6. I'm not here to tell ppl that WDs are all in your head or anything, just to share my story. I am grateful for Suboxone. It helped me to stop doing all the things that full on addicts do to get their fix. It helped me to be a normal, functioning adult again. With that said, I never felt like I wasn't an addict bc I still needed it but my quality of life improved 1000x over. And if I would have quit the PKs cold turkey I would have been in a living hell and so far so good with Suboxone taper. I can't say that I'll never use another PK in my life but I can say that I will never let myself get addicted to them or any other opiate again. Now, I've just gotta kick this damn cigarette habit... Thanks for hearing me out. Aside from my Sub dr., I really haven't told anyone about my experience with Subs so it's been helpful to spill all this out. I don't claim to be any kind of expert but if my experience can help someone build up the courage to be free of dependency- great! I'm typing this on my phone so I'm gonna cut this short here but I'll check back in. Good luck to you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks so much for sharing, seriously..........

I'm really glad things are going so great for you so far.... it's great that you are open about the possibility of
it getting more difficult, though... that's good!!!
to EXPECT the worst, and HOPE for the best!!!!!

really I gotta say thanks so much for sharing your story,, it really does help more people than you can even imagine...

I sincerely hope things KEEP going smoothly for you... I know it cannot be "easy" to taper,
but you are sure doing a great job of it !!!!!!!

honestly I think every single one of us, reacts differently to suboxone and it's withdrawl process, just like with the
FULL Opiates.....
some people have said they wish they would have "just" gone cold turkey off the opiate they were abusing....

I for one didn't think I had ONE MORE detox left in me,,, it was THAT BAD.........

if suicide is looking like a viable option, suboxone may be right for you!!!

I know it's been the right choice, for me...
that was just a "general" statement, by the way,,,,,,, LOL

Anyways,,,
thanks again for sharing, PLEASE continue to let us know how things go, we can never have too many of the
taper and w/d process threads.... NEVER!!

that's one of the most common things people ask about,,,,
do you have any "journal" type threads, of people tapering, jumping?

we do, but alot of people vent and say how horrible things are,, then they get to feeling better and forget,
or don't feel like Posting the UPSWING of things.....
and i get it, I do....
I do NOT blame them by ANY MEANS........

~~~~HAPPY NEW YEAR~~~~~

sounds like your upcoming year will be a great one!!!!!!!!!!!

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:14 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for the response, Amber. I absolutely agree- for many, Suboxone is the only viable alternative when the only other alternatives are so damn ugly...

So, day 6 went as well if not better than could be expected. I was a bit low on energy and down in the dumps bc of it but other than that, things are still going great. I was able to sleep through the night last night and don't see any reason why tonight won't be the same. While I've been happy with how this is going, I can't help but be a little bit scared about the possibility of things getting worse. I'm trying to convince myself that it's over but the realist in me keeps looking over my shoulder... I only have a couple of days left before I have to return to work, so I'm hoping the worst has already come. My WDs in the past felt like Chinese water torture, I can't work while convinced that my world is crashing down... Here's to hoping, huh? I'll continue to update this thread with my progress.

Happy New Year!!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Freeman Atlast,

Welcome to the forum and I'm glad you were finally able to share your story. It does feel good to get it out.

Congratulations on the taper. Sounds like you did a really good job. So, day 6 is in the books and you're onto day 7 tomorrow. For most of us, Suboxone wd peaks in and around day 7 thru day 9. It's very hard to say with any certainty, but it sure sounds like you're going to have a fairly easy go on the wd front. I would think if you were going to feel heavy wd, you would surely have felt it by now.

As a side note, if you do start getting wd, many have gone to work while in wd from Suboxone. Suboxone wd is typically not as intense as pain pill wd, but it usually lasts longer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:09 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for the welcome, words of encouragement and advice, Romeo! Much appreciated!

Day 7 in the books. I felt much better than yesterday. I was a little groggy to start the day but it could have been the NyQuil I took the night before. More so than the physical, which I'm really grateful for, I'm starting to see mental improvements. Like how I perceive things, which directly affects my mood or feelings about them. This is exciting! It's also starting to set in that I'm no longer dependent on opiates, suboxone treatment or not, and that feels awesome! I'll continue to check back, but if I don't pop in tomorrow, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:18 pm 

I love your story! Congratulations on following through with your goal! I'm so glad that you were able to give us a tapering success story. It definitely helps to know that not everyone will experience terrible withdrawal with a thoughtful taper. I wish more people in your situation would tell their stories. I think it's true that most of the stories we hear about are from people who are having trouble tapering. It skews the perception that some people will not have too much trouble with withdrawal.

Welcome to the forum! I hope you stick around to offer people your experience and advice. Happy New Year to you too!

Amy