It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:05 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I started out on 8 mg/2 mg 2 times of suboxone which was to strong for me. I would throw up for hours to the point of having the dry heaves. I did this for a couple of days. I then decided to try cutting the film in half and see if it would be a better dosage for me I did this 2 times a day without any side effects. I did this for about a year or a little longer. I did tell my suboxone doctor about this for a couple of months later. He said that he didn't see anything wrong with me doing that. Then about 6 months later I cut it again on my own down to 1/4 of a film 2 times a day I did this for almost a year. I did tell my doctor. Then on Feb. 17, 2016 I decided to ask him about a another cut back he told me to cut the 1/4 of the film and take it 2 times a day for a month which I did. I did fine the 1st 4 or 5 days then I started to crash. I had awful night mares, I would wake up a couple of times in the middle of the night with really bad night sweats with my pj's and bed linen soaking wet and I smelled like something had died, I had the jitters, chills, a horrible headache. I would have to get up change my bed linen and take a shower. I also wasn't eating the sight of food would make me so sick. I lost 9 lbs in a month. (I am on hospice home health for COPD and have been for 3 years now. My nurse knew nothing about Suboxone and she took a classes about it and read everything she could get her hands on to be able to help treat me in case other health issues came up.) She comes 1 to 2 times a week depending on how I am doing. On the 5th day of my cut on Suboxone she called to check on me and I told her everything that was going on she said I am going to call your Suboxone doctor and see what he says. She called back and said he was putting me on Xanax 0.5 mg 1 tablet 3 times a day every 8 hours. I took it just as I was told to do and it helped for about 4 hours then it was back to feeling like crap again. I decided to try cutting the xanax in half and take 1/2 every 4 hours instead of 1 every 8 hours and I will say this it has helped. Then when I went back to see the suboxone doctor on Mar.17,2016 he told to cut back to the 1/8 of the film one time a day he said around noon everyday until the end of the this month. Then he said starting April 1st to take only 1/8 of a film every other day. And for me to come back on the 17th of April. Well I am right back to having the night sweats, the jitters, hills, a horrible headache. I would have to get up change my bed linen and take a shower, not eating. I called my nurse and she called the doctor again and he has changed the dosage on my xanax to 1 mg I tablet every 8 hrs which I am cutting in half so I can make it. I am also cutting the 1/8 piece of Suboxone into 2 pieces taking one piece at 12 noon and then again at midnight last night. I just started that last night and I really don't know how it is going to turn out. When I woke up at 4 am I took half of a xanax. Another thing I forgot to mention I was taking Lyric 50 mg 1 time every other day for neuropathy in my feet and legs. I stopped taking it a few days ago after I read somewhere that it could be dangerous while taking suboxone then somewhere I read it would help with the withdrawal side effects of getting off the suboxone. I have to go pick up my meds today and I am going to talk the druggist and see what he says. Any ideas on it and if it is safe to take how far apart should I take it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:59 pm 

Hi lilmansmom, Welcome! I am sorry that I don't have an answer for you regarding Lyrica. I hope you were able to get answers from your pharmacist. Please let us know how it went!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:32 pm 

What the crap!! Why is he trying to cut you back when you're in hospice care??? Tell your doctor that you are in withdrawals and craving your drug of choice. It would be irresponsible of him to continue to taper you off of suboxone. I assume you must have asked him to help you taper off, or he wouldn't be just randomly doing this?

I feel like I'm missing a piece of the puzzle. This makes no sense to me!

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm not sure what your goal is. You wrote that you are on hospice care? If that's true, why are you tapering off buprenorphine?

As Amy wrote, something doesn't make sense. If you are on hospice, and uncomfortable, your doctor would typically provide medication to relieve your discomfort-- either by keeping you on a comfortable dose of buprenorphine, or replacing it with opioid agonists. I would recommend that you start with the basic question-- what is your goal? Then speak with your doctor, and make certain that your treatment plan is consistent with that goal.

Good luck-- I hope you get more comfortable.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Amy and suboxdoc in reply to your question.
I did at one point ask him about cutting back on the suboxone. The main reason being on Feb 9, 2016 we found out that my bladder cancer had came back and that I also have Non-Hodgkin lymphoma cancer. When I went in for my appointment on 2/17/2016 he informed me that he had talked to my oncologist and knew that my cancer was back. My suboxone doctor told me that I could NOT take any type of pain meds while on the suboxone. And that he would NOT OK me being given any type of pain meds. And the reason being that the receptors in my brain would block any effects of any pain meds because of me being on Suboxone and that the pain meds would not help me and could even kill me. So I asked him to cut the suboxone back. When I was there on Thursday 3/17/2016 I did tell him I was having a very hard time. It was like I was talking to the wall. When I started having trouble with the withdrawal my hospice nurse called him and that is when he put me on the xanax 0.5 mg which was 2 weeks earlier before my appointment on 3/17/2016 . Then he told me to cut back to the 1/8 of a film one time a day that was on 3/17/2016 until the end of March 2016. Then go down to 1/8 of a film every other day until April 17 2016. And that would be the stopping point of my suboxone use. I asked him are you serious and he said yes I am. He only gave me a script for enough films for me to do that until I go back on April 17, 2016. And all he did increase my xanax to 1 mg every 8 hrs. He is very hard core and very uncaring. He at the very start of me going on the Suboxone program said you did this to yourself and it is up to you to get your self out of this mess. Never mind that I was in treatments before going on Suboxone for bladder cancer which he knew about he was the very doctor who was writing my scripts for the oxycontin like they were M&M's. I was placed back on hospice care for my COPD 3 years ago and now the cancer has been added to my diagnosis on Feb 9 2016 with my hospice service. Which my suboxone doctor knows about. My oncologist called and talked to my suboxone doctor and told him what was going on and that I needed pain meds but that he would not prescribe me any until he got the go ahead from the suboxone doctor. So I guess now I stuck until I am then.
I really never thought it would be this bad and that he would at least keep me comfortable that is what I was told by my nurse and my oncologist. At this point I don't know if can trust what either of them tell me. All of them know this has been a nightmare for me. I am about ready to find me a new suboxone doctor I have all my lab reports and doctors reports and can back up everything. Who knows what tomorrow holds I sure don't.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:08 pm 

Why does your sub doctor have to be in charge of your pain meds at this point? Can't a hospice doctor take care of you?

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Here in the state I live the hospice doctor is whoever places you on hospice care which is in my case is my MD who is also is my suboxone doctor. The hospice nurse has to go thru him for anything concerning my care.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:45 pm 

I say it's time to fire your doctor and get another one. This MD is extremely unreasonable to make you taper off sub to get on other opiate pain medication. I know it would be miserable, but I would just jump of the sub and let him know you're not on sub any more but you are in extreme pain!!! Or fire him! Don't you have an oncologist who could prescribe the pain meds? This just seems hugely sadistic and unreasonable.

I say again, FIRE HIM!

Amy