It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:53 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Okay, I will be 39 weeks pregnant tomorrow, the hospital is inducing me Monday morning at 5:30 am... I take subutex, and need to know if taking subutex will still allow the hospital to give me something for the pain?... I was scared they wouldnt be able to since subutex is an opiate blocker so I didnt take my medicine yesterday or today, I feel really weak and tired , but Im not sure it has anything to do with not taking the subutex, Im suppose to take 8mg Half twice daily but alot of times i dont take the whole 8mg, i just take half, so i guess what Im wondering is am I doing the right thing by completely stopping and are they even going to be able to prescribe me pain medicine anyway? Will they still give you pain medicine if you are still taking the subutex? How long does it take for you to stop taking it before they will prescribe you pain medicine because this is my second child and I went through hell with the pain the first time, I dont think I can go without any pain medicine...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:04 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum. I really don't know the answer to your questions. I have read about people having emergency surgery while on sub and their pain was controlled. I take sub and have chronic pain which is well controlled. So perhaps any pain you have after childbirth will be controlled by your subutex.

The talk zone has info but I don't know how to paste a link on my iPad so I will pm a moderator to do that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:34 pm 

Do you have a prescription for the med?

You need to tell the hospital that you are on it. If their reaction is that you can't have pain meds during labor/deliver/postpartum, make sure they know that you have an attorney on retainer.

The tapering you've done? It will enable you to receive more of a benefit from whatever opiate narcotics. Just remember, if you're feeling super uncomfortable so is your baby.

I'm going to post a couple of links to material written by Dr. Junig, the man who made this forum and has a sub practice of his own. He has a lot of experience with prescribing for pregnant women.

http://suboxonetalkzone.com/suboxone-pr ... d-surgery/

http://suboxonetalkzone.com/pregnant-an ... -suboxone/

I hope this helps!

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have heard they will give the epidural so your pain is controlled but they will just leave the narcotics out of the epidural. U will still be numb though. I'm pregnant too and my Concern is after-- will the hospital dose the subutex or wil I have to bring it myself and sneak taking it or what ? I have a prescription too. Good luck in your delivery !! I hope it all goes well

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hrlk89 wrote:
Okay, I will be 39 weeks pregnant tomorrow, the hospital is inducing me Monday morning at 5:30 am... I take subutex, and need to know if taking subutex will still allow the hospital to give me something for the pain?... I was scared they wouldnt be able to since subutex is an opiate blocker so I didnt take my medicine yesterday or today, I feel really weak and tired , but Im not sure it has anything to do with not taking the subutex, Im suppose to take 8mg Half twice daily but alot of times i dont take the whole 8mg, i just take half, so i guess what Im wondering is am I doing the right thing by completely stopping and are they even going to be able to prescribe me pain medicine anyway? Will they still give you pain medicine if you are still taking the subutex? How long does it take for you to stop taking it before they will prescribe you pain medicine because this is my second child and I went through hell with the pain the first time, I dont think I can go without any pain medicine...

You are probably very busy with your newborn, but I hope you come back to let us know how it went.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Narcissa wrote:
I have heard they will give the epidural so your pain is controlled but they will just leave the narcotics out of the epidural. U will still be numb though. I'm pregnant too and my Concern is after-- will the hospital dose the subutex or wil I have to bring it myself and sneak taking it or what ? I have a prescription too. Good luck in your delivery !! I hope it all goes well

Congrats on your pregnancy! When are you due? I remember brining in my dads eye drops when he was in the hospital. He used to get so mad. The nurse would have to get the doctor to "order" the eye drops, then the hospital had to order them & by the time they got the drops he was home lol. The next time he was in the hospital he brought his own drops. You can ask your doctor.
I hope you keep posting.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am due December 23. Christmas baby. Last night I gave up and just took close to the recommended dose my doc said of 1.5 subutex pills a day. The constipation has been god awful Bc of this medication I have to say. So I loaded up also on milk of magnesia and prune juice and 2 colace pills and 2 hours later puked all over the place. The max dose of sub was too much for me I was dizzy and falling over and my stomach was a wreck too. Never ever again. I am going to also wait to take my subutex till later on and always with a snack. If I take on empty stomach I get sick. If I take after a meal it doesn't work as well. So I take it usually right after a yogurt or 5 ritz crackers. And since I take the adderall around noon I will wait 5 hours after that to take the subitex Bc my husband pointed out I may not feel it at all Bc of the adderall still working in my system.