It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Subutex & Teeth
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I keep reading about problems people have with their teeth when on Subutex for a long period. I see it on this forum and in others acorss the web. But I can't seemt to find out the details. What is the affect on teeth? Do they fall out or do they rot faster or what? Also, what is the presumed reason for this? For example are teeth being damged due to an interaction with the oral subutex, or is the problem internal and happens even with strips? Anyone please elaborate?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Suboxone itself has no effect on teeth per se. All opiates tend to cause dry mouth though. And remember, you were on opiates for how long before suboxone? Plus consider that it takes years for tooth problems to develop. The best thing I can suggest to do is to try those Biotene products that are supposed to treat dry mouth. For me, I always have something to drink with me - I mean at ALL times.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hatmaker510 wrote:
Suboxone itself has no effect on teeth per se. All opiates tend to cause dry mouth though. And remember, you were on opiates for how long before suboxone? Plus consider that it takes years for tooth problems to develop. The best thing I can suggest to do is to try those Biotene products that are supposed to treat dry mouth. For me, I always have something to drink with me - I mean at ALL times.

I respectfully disagree HAT, I never had dentals problems my whole life not on cavity nothing. One year of being on suboxone my dental health went to shit. I had to get my teeth cleaned every other months instead of the normal 3 to 5, cavities AND THE WORST OF ALL OF THEM CANKER SORES! Since stopping and starting methadone I have notice all those problems have let up.

As of subutex i dont know but i have also heard some of those rumors.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:30 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Bboy42287 wrote:
hatmaker510 wrote:

I respectfully disagree HAT, I never had dentals problems my whole life not on cavity nothing. One year of being on suboxone my dental health went to shit. I had to get my teeth cleaned every other months instead of the normal 3 to 5, cavities AND THE WORST OF ALL OF THEM CANKER SORES! Since stopping and starting methadone I have notice all those problems have let up.

As of subutex i dont know but i have also heard some of those rumors.

I ALSO RSPECTFULLY DISAGREE AS WELL. ITHINK ALL OPIATES CAUSE THE TEETH TO DECAY AND FALL OUT. I TH INK THIS HAPPENS OVER A LONG PERIOD OF TIME. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE CAUSE...BUT I FEEL IT MIGHT BE RELATED TO DIET AND DRY MOUTH. MOST OF US ADDICTS DON'T TAKE GREAT CARE OF OUR HEALTH WHEN WE ARE USING, DIET INCUDED. I DON'T THINK WE GET THE NEEDED VITAMINS FOR HEALTHY TEETH. JUST MY OPINION....

Post subject: Subs and Teeth issue...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:00 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

For what it's worth, I have been on Suboxone for almost 7 years-
next February; and I have not had any problems with my teeth at all.
I have, however, experienced dry mouth while on it;
but I am also on some other medicines that cause this condition.
I am planning on trying one of the Biotene products that hat has mentioned,
to address this issue- because dry mouth CAN contribute to tooth problems.

By the way, quite a long time ago, I have heard the same thing about
methadone: that it "rots your teeth"; however, this is just a myth.

Just my two cents...

-ex-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:34 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello,

Nice to meet you.

Since taking Suboxone I've slowly started to have issues with my teeth that were never there before. (I brush daily) I can not pinpoint what the cause would be but I now have two rotting teeth on the right side of my mouth where I keep the subs under my tongue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

OK guys, here's Dr. Junig's take on this very old, already-addressed issue: http://suboxonetalkzone.com/2008/11/25/ ... our-teeth/

Quote:
Does Suboxone Rot Your Teeth?

by SuboxDoc on November 25, 2008

This is tonight’s question from the ‘search phrases’. The answer: No.

But there must be more to the story.

I’ve always wondered why methamphetamine addicts tend to have teeth missing, and the teeth still present look like they ought to be pulled. I assume it comes from poor diet and no brushing… but they are so nasty that there must be something else involved. I will see what I can find out over the next couple days.

One thing that is bad for teeth and common to many addictions is a dry mouth. Saliva serves a few important functions; it serves as a buffer for acidic foods and substances; it lubricates the teeth during chewing; it rinses away particulate matter. Many drugs and medications reduce the amount of saliva, and this reduction in saliva makes teeth more susceptible to decay. The effect on saliva is largely due to ‘anticholinergic’ side effects, something that many medications share.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just to throw this into the discussion, some people believe that opiates can cause cravings for sugar as in candy, chocolate and so on. I know for myself i couldnt put chocolate down during active use.