It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: subutex or suboxone?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:17 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have been on the suboxone films for apx 5 wks. my ins co denied the films and my dr had to prescribe me the tabs. since I started the tabs, my headaches and neck pain have gotten significantly worse. the reason I was on pain meds was bc of chronic neck and headaches. would subutex be better to help me with my pain?

Post subject: Re: subutex or suboxone?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Snowwhite,

I just answered this question in the other thread you asked it in...I'm going to copy and paste my response here for you so you can keep all of them together. :D

Subutex and Suboxone both have the same active ingredient, buprenorphine. The only difference between the two medications is that Suboxone has the added ingredient Naloxone. The Naloxone is put into the medicine to prevent it from being abused by those who would attempt to shoot it. From what I understand there should be no difference between the pain relieving effects of Suboxone vs. Subutex because when taken orally, as intended, the Naloxone isn't absorbed in the system much at all, if any.

My guess would be that you may be getting a slightly lower concentration of buprenorphine in the generic pills. This could account for the difference in your pain control unless it is psychosomatic.
I have read that the generic pills are allowed to be slightly lower or higher in their concentration of the active ingredient...within a certain percentage which at the moment I can't recall. You may want to do a search in the forum for threads about the new generics available on the market currently. It may be possible to have your doctor or pharmacist switch you to a different brand and see if you have any improvement in your symptoms.

Good luck!

Q

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I did too so I will again here as well
I'm on the generic version of Subutex tablets and it says each tablet contains 8.64 mg of buprenorphine HCI, equivalent to 8 mg buprenorphine base.
I do know the taste is different. Mine is okay but the aftertaste is horrible to me. It could be possible it's not working as well as the films for you but it is so much cheaper. If your insurance wont cover it maybe your doc can up your dosage.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:17 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

qhorsegal2 wrote:
Hey Snowwhite,

I just answered this question in the other thread you asked it in...I'm going to copy and paste my response here for you so you can keep all of them together. :D

Subutex and Suboxone both have the same active ingredient, buprenorphine. The only difference between the two medications is that Suboxone has the added ingredient Naloxone. The Naloxone is put into the medicine to prevent it from being abused by those who would attempt to shoot it. From what I understand there should be no difference between the pain relieving effects of Suboxone vs. Subutex because when taken orally, as intended, the Naloxone isn't absorbed in the system much at all, if any.

My guess would be that you may be getting a slightly lower concentration of buprenorphine in the generic pills. This could account for the difference in your pain control unless it is psychosomatic.
I have read that the generic pills are allowed to be slightly lower or higher in their concentration of the active ingredient...within a certain percentage which at the moment I can't recall. You may want to do a search in the forum for threads about the new generics available on the market currently. It may be possible to have your doctor or pharmacist switch you to a different brand and see if you have any improvement in your symptoms.

Good luck!

Q

thank u! i knew the difference was the naloxone in the suboxone, i was asking bc i read someone said the subutex helped for pain. so i thought maybe it was better for pain management. my reason for taking RX's in the first place is b/c of neck and headaches. i was doing fine b4 the generics. idk i guess ill have to see what my dr says.
thanks again

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:27 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Everytime someone switches brand of meds they worry and convince themselves its not as potent/isnt working (me included). I started on tabs years ago then was moved to film, convinced myself the film sucked (it "works" but it does suck IMO) and that it wasn't working. After awhile I got used to it and it worked fine I just hated the delicate nature of the film and how easy it is to ruin and how they don't have as long a shelf life. I got bad side effects from every form of suboxone and was switched the roxanne version of subutex. Again for the first couple days I worried myself into thinking it wasn't as potent (mostly because of false BS claims all over the internet, type in any brand name of generic subutex and all of them will have numerous people claiming they don't work compared to ___ brand and to get ____ brand because its so much better and then that brand will be trashed in the next post etc.) I take less of the generic subutex than I did of the film. The fact is drug companies can't just release bunk versions of medicine. If anything is a scam ripoff in this regard Id say its that new "zubsolv" crap, the whole 5.7mgs of our bupe is equal to 8mgs of other brands because ours dissolves so much better blah blah blah, they should of just said "we want more money and want to short you on what you actually pay for so we just made up a bunch of BS that ours is so much better". When I first read that about zubsolv it made me so mad, thank god I don't have to take that crap and feel ripped off every month.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:57 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Buprecision wrote:
Everytime someone switches brand of meds they worry and convince themselves its not as potent/isnt working (me included). I started on tabs years ago then was moved to film, convinced myself the film sucked (it "works" but it does suck IMO) and that it wasn't working. After awhile I got used to it and it worked fine I just hated the delicate nature of the film and how easy it is to ruin and how they don't have as long a shelf life. I got bad side effects from every form of suboxone and was switched the roxanne version of subutex. Again for the first couple days I worried myself into thinking it wasn't as potent (mostly because of false BS claims all over the internet, type in any brand name of generic subutex and all of them will have numerous people claiming they don't work compared to ___ brand and to get ____ brand because its so much better and then that brand will be trashed in the next post etc.) I take less of the generic subutex than I did of the film. The fact is drug companies can't just release bunk versions of medicine. If anything is a scam ripoff in this regard Id say its that new "zubsolv" crap, the whole 5.7mgs of our bupe is equal to 8mgs of other brands because ours dissolves so much better blah blah blah, they should of just said "we want more money and want to short you on what you actually pay for so we just made up a bunch of BS that ours is so much better". When I first read that about zubsolv it made me so mad, thank god I don't have to take that crap and feel ripped off every month.

its not that im saying it not as strong, im saying the generic tabs are making me feel terrible. im just trying to figure out why? b/c I know didn't feel like this before on the films. Im trying to get as much info as I can so I can tell my dr, I cant stay on these pills, they are literally making me sick and all the pains I was feeling, reason I was on pain meds in the first place, is back. so I am 100% sure there is a HUGE difference. Are you saying that the Zusolv is bad? Have you taken them?