It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:03 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I need your opinions! I'm on 8mg subutex 3 times daily and I feel some days it's just not working great. My sub Dr has already told me he's willing to switch to suboxone if I decide to try it. He told me the only difference is suboxone has narcan with buprenorphine and subutex is simply buprenorphine. I know narcan is used to reverse overdose. I'm just curious if that is the major difference between them and if I should switch. I would love educated advice please especially from the subdoc!!!! Thanks so much

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:01 am 

Suboxone is buprenorphine and naloxone, what ur taking is buprenorphine without the naloxone. Honestly, unless u had an allergy to naloxone (which is rather rare) or pregnant, most doctors prefer that combination. But there's really no difference as far as how it works or makes u feel.

The naloxone was put in bupe to make sure no one could inject suboxone. People who were IV drug users couldn't shoot suboxone because the naloxone will supposedly put them in precipitated withdrawal. That's really the only reason for naloxone pretty much.

If u want to try suboxone, the strips may be something you'll feel better with as far as absorption goes. I couldn't imagine not taking the strips, but I'm sure there's others that take the pill form and wouldn't like the strips..... in the end, it's all the same medication though :)

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jean's got a great answer. COuldn't agree more.

I'd only add that it's likely not the medication that's responsible for those down days.When you say it's not working great, what exactly are you experiencing?

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Mostly cravings, restlessness, irritability. I was told by someone suboxone works better but I couldn't figure out why it would so idk

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well those things sound very much like WD symptoms. That would make good sense if you're tapering. But if not It's a bit of a mystery why it's only occasional. But it's possible if you're right on the edge of not quite having enough.

Are you keeping it in your mouth long enough? Are there some days when you might be less patient?

I'm sorry, I've forgotten, how much are you currently taking? It might make sense to talk to your doctor
about increasing dosage.

But as to relative efficacy, there's really no difference. Some people want to take the subutex because it
doesn't have the 2 mg of naloxone. But it's pretty well universally believed among those who should know...that the amount of naloxone is too small to have an effect.

If you're going to think about making a change, I'd go for trying an increase in dosage...

Last edited by godfrey on Thu May 11, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The only difference is Suboxone comes in a film, Subutex in a tablet. Because of the film people absorb a bit more on the film, which won't count much because you're on 24mg anyway.