It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:25 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello, I have been on Subutex for 1 year now. My husband is on Subutex as well. We have been trying to have a another baby for a while now. Our first is almost 5. I wasnt on anything with my first child. Anyway, I had gotten pregnant last year around july and carried for about 12 weeks and theb had a miscarriage. I was devestated. The doctor said we could try again in 3 months. So december was three months. We have been trying very hard. Doing everything we can to concieve. I am just wondering if anyone had some information about if Subutex affects your chances of getting pregnant and also if you do concieve does it raise the chances of having a miscarriage? Im only on 6 mgs of Subutex a day. I just wanted to hear some peoples opinion on this subject because I am starting to believe tye Subutex is the reason for my inability to concieve.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi CyCy,

All the information I have read about pregnant women taking suboxone points to buprenorphine being safe for pregnancy. I have read nothing that links buprenorphine to miscarriage at all. Doctors do recommend that pregnant women switch to plain buprenorphine (subutex) during pregnancy, but this is because there haven't been any good studies done on the effect of naloxone on babies.

I am very sorry to hear that you had to endure the loss of your pregnancy. It is a very sad thing to go through, and I know that you want to be sure you do everything you can to prevent it from happening again. But, the fact that you lost it in the first trimester points to it being completely unrelated to the buprenorphine. Loss of pregnancy during the first trimester is much more common than we realize. During my last pregnancy (at age 29) my doctor cemented that fact in my mind. He made it very clear that most miscarriages that occur in the first trimester are not caused by anything that the mother has done, or not done. That risk goes up with mothers who are over the age of 30.

I'm not aware of any studies done linking suboxone with lower fertility rates in women, but it has been proven that opiates of any kind are linked to low testosterone levels in men. I don't think that has an effect on a man's fertility, but I could be wrong. You could find an answer to that pretty easily by doing a google search about effects of low T for men.

Maybe Dr. J, or one of our other members who are educated about this particular issue will come along and give you a better answer. I just wanted to encourage you not to give up hope yet. Fertility issues can be caused by so many different things, and there are so many great new medical advances that make it possible to conceive when a problem is present. I really don't believe that buprenorphine is what is causing your issues. But, I wish you the best of luck and I hope that you find a solution very soon!

Have you checked Dr. J's blog for more detailed information about suboxone and pregnancy? He has written several articles relating to the safety of buprenorphine and is an advocate for it's use for expectant mothers. You can find the link to his blog "The Suboxone Talkzone" on our index page.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:53 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thank you for the plug! I think your answer was exactly right, though. At this point millions of scripts for buprenorphine products have been written, and if there were effects on fertility or pregnancy I suspect we would know about them. CyCy should go to the FDA site and look for the section where you can report things that happen with medications; they then investigate to see if there is truly a connection.

I treat many young patients, and frankly, I sometimes with the medication had birth control properties, as too many of my patients get pregnant as soon as they start getting their lives together. I suspect they haven't had relationships for years because of their drug use, and on buprenorphine things stabilize.... then they fall in love with someone too early, before they are truly ready for all that relationships entail... and then they get pregnant. I am generalizing of course, but my point is that if buprenorphine effects pregnancy and miscarriage, the effect must be subtle.

Cycy, by aware that by some estimates, MOST pregnancies end in miscarriage. I don't mean to make light of what you are going through, because I've learned from patients just how horrible it can be, to go through the ups and downs of losing a pregnancy. There are clearly other meds that are linked to miscarriage-- are you taking anything else? Benzos, for example, have been linked to first-trimester miscarriage for a long time. Meds like tegretol, Depakote, and lamictal have been linked to problems during pregnancy. And again, many miscarriages just happen, for reasons that are never known.

I am sorry about your struggles, and hope the best for you and your husband.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:41 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you very much for your replies. I really appreciate them! I am not on any other medication right now. I am too afraid to mix anything with the subutex for fear of not being able to concieve. Im still desperatly trying to get pregnant. I think i might be trying too hard. Lol But im just trying to keep a positive attitude about it. You guys have given some really great information though and i am very greatful! Thank again so much for the input!