It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I started taking suboxone, going to meetings and therapy once a week (per doctors orders) in November of 2013. In August of 2014 i found myself 6 weeks pregnant. My doctor automatically switched me to Subutex and made phone call after phone call to try to get me an appointment with an ob that prescribes subutex so I didn't have to go to a clinic. Did I tell you that my doctor is awesome?!?!? So, my new subutex and my OB doctor was similarly awesome. No judgement. He informed me of a subutex and pregnancy education class that the hospital where I delievered started doing. Of course my husband and I went. There were 5 wemon in the room, including a social worker (which is normal). They told me that I could not only breastfeed but that it is recommended to breastfeed. If baby did go through withdrawal then the 1% or less that would pass through my milk would help her. I had at least 2 ultrasounds a month for the first 7 months of my pregnancy which made me feel a little better. I was on 12mg when I started, I don't think I mentioned that. I weaned down to 8mg by the time I delivered on April 15 of this year. The majority of the nurses were awesome and baby got to be in the care of 2 very special pediatricians that had a wide knowledge of subutex and had dealt with babies whose mothers were on subutex. The hospital I went to was great. So, baby was born vaginally and as healthy and as peachy as a clam. No complications with my pregnancy what so ever. But we were anticipating the wait to see if the new baby girl would start withdrawing. Which the waiting process is horrible, I might add. By 24 hours she scored a 4 on the Finnegan NAS score sheet. 36 hours she scored a 7. By the 39th hour she scored an 8, which was her highest score and she only scored an 8 once. After the 40th hour her scores started to kind of taper down. She had high pitched cries, had a need to suck alot, sneezed alot, yawned alot, and her muscles were really tense. This was the consistency of her withdrawal when we left the hospital. She didnt need morphine or any other meds for her withdrawal. She was born on a Wednesday at 4:01pm and they wouldn't let her leave until Saturday around noon. I can't tell you how much of a piece of shit I felt like because she had to go through this. By the 8th day of her life you can tell she felt much better but still going through it a little. She didn't gain any weight the first 2.5 weeks of her life. She weighed 7lbs 13oz at birth, when we left the hospital she weighted 7lbs 1oz. When she was 3 weeks old she weighted 7lbs 3.5oz. I know some babies have this weight gain issue but I'm not sure weather or not I think the subutex had anything to do with her weight issue sense it happens to babies everywhere all of the time. She was 5 weeks at her last appointment and weighted 8lb 6.5oz!!! she is 7 weeks today and I'll find out how much she weights on Friday at her next appointment. She is prefectly healthy and a super cute baby girl. But her withdrawal and small weight gain issue were the only two problems that arose. Iam breastfeeding as well. My milk production slowed way down recently so we had to supplement. she didn't go through withdrawal again. I just wanted to let you know my story. I know that there is a lot of pregnant mothers out there that are on subs and extremely worried about issues that can arise. I hope this eases some of your minds. It could have been a lot worse. And i will tell you that if your baby does go through withdrawal there is nothing that anybody can say to you that will make you feel better about yourself. We as parents feel like shit when they just have a cold. Or at least I do. Attached is a picture of her and her now chunky self. Have a great day :)

Attachments:
Izzy smile.jpg
Izzy smile.jpg [ 83.69 KiB | Viewed 773 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:37 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

She is cute, cute, cute!
What a wonderful story!!!
I hope she grows up to be the President. Maybe she would give us drug addicts some help that we all desperately need!
Thank you for the post!

P.S. I am kind of your neighbor. I live north of Ashland Kentucky in southern Ohio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:47 pm 

Thank you so much for sharing your story!!! It helps other mothers on bupe enormously to read stories where everything worked out OK. Your doctors were great! The hospital sounds fantastic and your daughter is adorable!

I had to supplement with my son too and this was long before my addiction! Actually, when they offered me a script of percocet after my c-section I said No!, nothing that could get into my breastmilk. My son weighed 8lb15oz when he was born, but he wasn't chubby, just solid. My milk didn't come in for 10 days! Then between his 4 month appt. and his 6 month appointment he didn't gain any weight, he just got longer, so they had me supplement formula after I nursed him. To be honest, I think he was just a lean baby. It took me forever to get him over 20 pounds and into a different car seat! He is still skinny as a 17 year old, but he is incredibly smart, so he didn't miss out on any brain cells because I didn't produce enough milk.

I know you feel some guilt over when your daughter was in a little bit of withdrawal, but remember that you saved her from being born withdrawing over heroin and the yucky stuff they mixed it with. And you managed to taper 4 mg! That's hard because when you're pregnant your blood volume increases, so there's a lower ratio of bupe to blood anyway.

I hope you stick around and share more pictures later! I'm a sucker for babies!

:)

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Happyg, she should be the president. That's random that we live fairly close. I guess it's a small world as they say. Miss Isabeliya is doing grrreat. She will be 4 months old in 3 days and she's a happy chunky little girl. I unfortunately had to cease breastfeeding due to developing mastitis. She acted a tiny fussier than normal after the 24 hour mark of not receiving any breastmilk. This could have been caused from numerous other things. I personally don't think that she was going through any kind of withdrawal. She acted fussy that day and the next day she was just her peachy happy little self. She has gained all kinds of weight and is a healthy little baby. Due to her no longer getting breast milk my doctor has decided that I should be back on suboxone rather than subutex, which is perfectly fine with me. Just wanted to keep you guys updated on what was going on with me and my beautiful baybay! Good Day!!!

Attachments:
File comment: This was Hat Day!!
tutt.jpg
tutt.jpg [ 105.57 KiB | Viewed 579 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:21 pm 

Thank you for the update! Your daughter is beautiful! :)

Amy