It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Here is a little something for anyone but more importantly for those of you who are pregnant and wanting to read a subutex pregnancy story.
Eight months after starting my journey on suboxone I found out I was preggers. My dr switched me to subutex right away. I was prescribed to take 3 8mg a day. But I was so worried that I lowered my dose as much as I could handle. Which was still a pretty large dose. Anywhere from 8mg-16mg a day. Im sure there was the occassional day that I took as low as 4mg or as high as 24mg.

I had every intention of getting an epidual when I had her but since I was at home when my water broke at she arrived 25 minutes after getting to the hospital, I obviously didnt have time. The hospital where I delivered does not use medication to wean babies who are in withdrawal. So her pediatrition said that they would monitor her and score her on the withdrawal scale. (Forgot the actual name of the scoring) She said that if she scored a 12 or higher 3 times in a row, that my baby girl would be transferred to another hospital for the weaning by medication process. She scored an 11 one time which was the highest. The rest of the time she would score between 1 and 8. The only thing that I noticed different about my baby was that when the nurses would pick her up or move her around, she would SCREAM. They said that was part of withdrawal and because of that, she would get scored higher. Well, come to find out, at her one month check up, the pediatrition discovered that my daughters collar bone had been broken during delivery. And she even admitted to me that that had a lot to do with her screaming when being handled.
My daughter had to stay at the hospital for 5 days to be observed but never had to be transferred or put on medication.
I did try to breastfeed. Had issues with that so I just pumped every two hours for the first two months. Since I didnt produce enough milk, I still had to supplement with formula. Which she is on all the time now. Everytime I use to look up information about all this, it seemed like all the mothers breastfed. I related that with the reason their babies had no withdrawals but according to my pediatrition and further research, there is a VERY VERY small amount of suboxone/subutex that passes through the breastmilk and I wasnt giving her near enough breastmilk in the hospital to mask any withdrawals. So if you arent planning on breastfeeding, or even if you are, it will have the same outcome as far as withdrawals (if any) go. I think I covered most everything. If you have any questions feel free to ask me and if I think of anything else that could be helpful, I will add it on. Thanks everyone for taking the time to read my pregnancy/birth story.
Oh, a couple more things. My daughter got to stay in the room with me. Even though I was discharged 2 days later, they allowed me to stay in the same room with my baby until she was discharged. AND....while there, I met another mom there who had a baby the same day as me and she was going through the same exact thing! Her baby didnt have to be transferred or put on meds either.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us jellybean. I'm sure it will make a lot of nervous moms to be feel much more at ease reading a positive outcome of taking sub during pregnancy and having good outcome. I'm sorry to hear about the little one's broken collar bone, but glad she's doing better now. I think it's so important for women to read the positive stories and get the real facts about bupe during pregnancy, and not just horror stories.