It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:11 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I am currently on 2mg subutex.., I am having surgery in 2 days. My Dr gave me Vicodin to switch to but I'm so scared, he gave them to me partially because I'm afraid of going off the Subs for 3 days since I get wd approx 12 hrs after dosing...if I took my last 2mg dose of Sub yesterday at 1 when is a good time to start the 10mg Vicodin. Then after surgery do I have to start induction again?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:59 pm 

Csinny, Hello..
Please do not be scared. It sounds to me that you have a really good Dr tbere to help you and has a understanding of how Buprenorphine works.
If you go over to Dr Junigs blog and read "Buprenorphine and Hydrocodone ", we will see that there are ways to have your pain relived.
And yes, afterwards you will need to do some induction work. Maybe not as severe as the first time around.

There are other posts in the Talkzone on this subject too. I cant say ive had any experience with this myself. Hopefully another person will come by and share.

Ok so now it is almost 24 hours since your last dose of sub. You could have started the vikes anytime, but now would be ok.
Your on a low dose of sub so im sure the vikes will work fine for you now.. Just be careful, but Im sure you will be..

Best of luck CY.....Razor...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:02 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thank you so much for the feedback…I actually took my sub dose but less than 2mg and I will start on the vic tomorrow. I was afraid to take it until I got some feedback to reassure me. I will take it tomorrow at 12…. Pray that I am not in bad withdrawals from it…. I don't know why I am so scared… I think its the mixing it and the fear that the 40mg a day of Vicodin will surely not keep me out of WD let alone pain relief…but at any rate hopefully within a few days as the subs are completely out of my system I willg et some pain relief and not be in too bad of wd. Also should I tell the surgeons and anasthesiologist that I was taking subs?
Appreciate your help as always :)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I advise my patients to stay on a low dose of Bupe 2-4 mg, avoids having to go through induction when the full agonist course is complete. Dr. J has some discussions of this approach over on the Talk Zone that can be printed off.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:26 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thank you so much!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:07 pm 

Well there ya go CY..,
Just as Dr J and now Docm has said. There is a good way to do this. Please, go to the TalkZone
and read Dr J s post on this.
As Docm said, you could print it out and show these Drs.

As far as telling your drs, idk, if were me Id most like come clean so to speak so everyone is on board.
You will e fine, im sure of it..please lets know how your doing as the days go by...

Razor..
And thanks Docm..always good to here from you also.....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes CS,

The surgeon and anesthesiologist need to be aware of your bupe. They will probably want to use some different meds than normal to put you under, and give you stronger pain meds post surgery if they are aware. Never go into surgery until all of your caregivers know about the buprenorphine.

Good luck! And definitely check out the blog posts recommended.

Q

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:47 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Was reading the link about bup and pain relief... It's amazing how much misinformation is on the Internet in regards to this topic. That is what scared me, reading through so many posts (not here but random sites that show up on Google search in regards to this) people saying you will get sick, you must wait 7 days etc... Meanwhile my Dr said the next day but reading all that crap made me mental. Anyway thank God for this board, it's the only one I post on for good reason.