It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Subutex Induction
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:54 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I hope I spelled that right...

Aloha folks, I am starting a Subutex Detox soon, it's been 15 hours since my last usage of 30mg Oxycontin, and I'm REALLY looking forward to cleaning all this poison out of my system....

I've been taking opiates after a life changing automotive accident, some 7 years ago, and like most have become dependant on them. I would like to think that I'm not addicted, as I don't abuse them, but I have built quite a tollerance over the past 7 years, and would like to get back to a more manageable level. After saying that I don't think I'm an addict, I think I should qualify that remark here. I don't know what makes one an "addict", but I've been told that abusing your medication, or seeking out medication if you run out are sure signs, of which I've never done. I'm a very wealthy person, and very well connected, in that I could find ANYTHING I wanted in an instant, and could more than afford it.. I can stop anytime I want, but end up in too much pain after a nasty withdrawl to deal with and end up going back....?

About a year ago, I decided that I would just quit cold turkey in an effort to do the above mentioned detox, and was successfull for 16 days, but the pain was too great, and I eventually went back to my doctor for a much more manageable dose. Problem was, I quickly over the past year went back up to where I'm at now.

Fortunately my DOC told me to NOT go cold turkey again, and instead to go with the Subutex. If this works half as good as all the things I've been told and read on-line, it would seem like a miracle, as cold turkey while manageable, is not much fun.

That said, I would like to thank all of you for creating such a genuine site for people like me that need some help...

Now I'm waiting for the 24th hour to start, as I really don't feel too bad with respect to withdrawls after 15 or 16 hours...

R

Post subject: Re: Subutex Induction
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:58 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Oh, I forgot to say that without this site, I would have followed the labeled directions and waited only >6 hours, causing major withdrawls...

If nothing else, thanks for that!

R

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey R,

Well, I'm glad that you were already able to get some valuable information here!

Just out of curiosity, are you planning on sticking with the suboxone long term for pain management or just as a short term detox? It would be helpful to know this so we can kind of tailor the advice you get to your particular situation.

I know that your are probably excited and scared to start this new medication. It's a big change and can be scary when you get to reading things online. I wish you the best of luck, let us know if you run into any snags or just have some questions along the way. I just want to say that dependence and addiction are kind of two sides of the same coin. There are differences, obviously, but you still have to treat the physical dependence and the suboxone can be a great tool for that as well. We have a great section called "stopping suboxone" that will be of alot of help to you when and if you decide to start a taper.

Good luck with induction, let us know how it goes k?

Q

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:07 am 

Personally, I see a big difference between being dependent on narcotics and being addicted to narcotics. There are plenty of chronic pain patients who have had to increase their doses because they become tolerant to their former dose. This is the current definition of addiction:

"Addiction is defined as a chronic, relapsing brain disease that is characterized by compulsive drug seeking and use, despite harmful consequences. It is considered a brain disease because drugs change the brain; they change its structure and how it works. These brain changes can be long lasting and can lead to many harmful, often self-destructive, behaviors." -NIDA

If you are taking your meds as prescribed when you have the ability, because of your wealth, to score lots of opiates on the street, I don't think you meet the definition of an addict. (Very Lucky You!) The fortunate thing about sub is that you don't usually have to keep upping your dose. Once you're at a level where you are comfortable, you should be able to stay at that dose for a long time. The sub films are especially helpful if you eventually want to taper off the medication.

Your doctor should tell you to split your daily dose into fourths or sixths. Taking part of the sub every 4 to 6 hours should help keep the pain at bay. The analgesic effect of sub only lasts a few hours at a time.

Welcome to the forum!

Amy