It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: subutex for pain?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I admitted myself to detox 5 months ago and planned to come off all drugs including the morphine that I could no longer control. However, as it turned out I was simply not ready to go cold turkey from opiates, after all I did quit amphetamine, valium, alcohol and cigarettes over the same period of time. And so I went on suboxone and then subutex and I have done
quite well, with one important exception. 'My sub doctor' behaved like a cop and made me feel guilty for no reason. She used the drug as more of a weapon or leveraging tool than as a therapy, thinking that I was a poor helpless drug addict and that I was hopelessly dependent on her willingness to renew my prescription. She treated me with utter disrespect.
And so today I went back to my family doctor and asked him if he would prescribe subutex to me for pain(he does not have the waiver etc.. he is not a sub doc)and he agreed to do so! I wish that I had thought of this a couple of months earlier,however at the time I didn't know the prescribing laws. I was under the impression that all doctors had to have a waiver from the federal goverment. Not so. And so anyone who is wondering if 'unapproved' doctors can prescribe subutex now you know.
By the way my chronic pain problem is just as legitamate, if not more so, than my opiate addiction(opiate addiction is so poorly understood by the general public and so unfairly judged that having the choice I would rather be labeled as a chronic pain patient as opposed to an opiate addict any day).
I hope this might help straighten out the confusion. I was ready to go back to full agonist opiates because my 'sub doctor' was a class A bitch. I have the greateat primary care physician in the world.Honestly,the U.S. needs learn how to attract better people to career medicine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm glad you were able to find a different doctor to prescribe for you. I asked my family doc but he still thinks suboxone is evil so he won't do it, although he did say after a while he might be willing to maintain it. Isn't three years long enough? Anyways, it is good you got away from the bitch. Some of them are like that unfortunately. Even more unfortunate is that there are so many addicts out there who desperately need help and they have so few options that it isn't like they could put these people out of business by switching because it is a revolving door. I can't wait till the day that this is no longer the case but suboxone is still such a baby in the world of medicine (although bupe isn't). I'm glad you don't have to put up with that crap anymore. F her.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I also take sub for chronic pain and dose two-three times a day. You are of course right that any doctor can prescribe sub for off-label use (such as pain). The funny thing is not very many people (aside from this forum) seem to know this. I have run across more than a few doc's who continually argued with me that NO ONE could prescribe it without the DATA 2000 waiver. Then again, I still have a shrink (not my sub doc) who tell me that I can't even take sub for pain. Bottom line is suboxone is highly misunderstood as to it's pain properties and who can prescribe it (it's misunderstood altogether, but that's a different thread).

I'm happy your PCP is willing to do that for you. Good luck.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:27 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I just had a Lumbar fusion so I'm back to taking pain pills but if you spread it out over a the day not take it all at once talk to your Dr. about it but it will help. I was taking 16 mg a day once in the morning and in the mid day try with out it you will notice a diffrence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:18 pm 
I dont get how some of you guys can get pain relief from subs, I wish it would work for me that way but in all honestly I find it the most worthless opiod medication for pain relief but it does work wonders for addiction tho. I just dont understand how the literature online ranks it at 40x more potent in terms of analgesia compared to morphine, morphine killed all my pain and subs dont do anything for it.

Post subject: I think I will ask
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My PCP is new to me and has been very supportive in my efforts in recovery. I was honest with him and told him I take suboxone and he has always asked me questions about it on my visits with him. I have my 3 month check up next month and I think I am going to ask him what he thinks about prescribing generic subutex. I was switched by my first sub doctor for financial reasons and what I beleive was a respect and trust earned. When I relocated my sub doctor was highly agitated that I was taking subutex as opposed to suboxone so he switched me back.

I have to get buzzd into my sub doc and pay my cash of $175....pee in the cup and then see the doctor for 3 to 5 minutes. He is very condesending but he knows I need him so I put up with it. He video tapes all our visits. (weird) and off I go for another month. I would much rather have my PCP prescribe the subutex....plus it would be covered by my insurance with a co-pay of $15. I will let you all know if he is open to this.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:41 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

suboxOWNED wrote:
I dont get how some of you guys can get pain relief from subs, I wish it would work for me that way but in all honestly I find it the most worthless opiod medication for pain relief but it does work wonders for addiction tho. I just dont understand how the literature online ranks it at 40x more potent in terms of analgesia compared to morphine, morphine killed all my pain and subs dont do anything for it.

Somewhere on Dr. Junig's blog he adresses that thing about buprenorphine being 40 times stronger than morphine. Basically, it is...but only to a point. Because of the ceiling effect, the analgesic properties of buperenorphine level out. So while 1mg of bupe is equivalent to around 40mgs of morphine, 8mgs of bupe is NOT equivalent to 320mgs of morphine. In fact, I believe he said that 8mgs of bupe is equivalent to about 40mgs of morphine (as far as analgesia goes anyway).

Also, the analgesia effects of bupe wear off much more quickly than it's other effects (reduction in cravings, suppression of withdrawal symptoms), which is why people who take to treat both pain and addiction need to dose multiple times per day. When buprenorphine is used as a painkiller (in opiate-naive patients) it is prescribed in Micrograms (like 200-300 mcgs) and it is usually delivered via IV or IM injection or via a transdermal patch. It isn't used for pain very much in the US but has been used for a long time as an analgesic in Europe.

This is all from memory, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

-Jack Kornfield