It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: subutex delivery
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I would like to post my story here as I know many stories like this one helped me to feel better during pregnancy

I had my baby March 05 via c section. I was taking subutex 14mg thruough pregnancy. Baby was born 6,10 and 20inch. Immediately she was taken to nicu to be assessed and I was frowned upon by all working at the hospital.. I had a rough recovery as the pain meds did not break thru the subutex and I felt as if I was cut in half... Eventually they did up my meds afer 6 hours of excruciating pain... Not to mention not being able to I initiate breast feeding or skin to skin as I was in so much pain it was horrible.. After the pain subsided. They brought her in my room after 6 hours of me having to listen to my neighboring mother play with her newborn, I cried and cried.. My daughter could not breast feed at the beginning because she was tounge tied but they added that up to wd.. She sneezed and yawned and had a 37 temp but that was all,, she was feeding great and sleeping four hours at a time.. She was kept for observation for 5 days and then we where sent home. I was pumping the whole time and giving her my milk with a formula top up. I am now home and I am breastfeeding but I am worried about withdrawal from the milk? Has anyone heard of this.. She seems to sneeze more in the am before I take my dose although she does sneeze quite a bit during the day. She still yawns and had trouble regulating temp but these can be normal newborn things. She is now 6 weeks and had gained weight Nd is eating Nd sleeping great. She has met all milestones thus far and smiles when her mommy comes in the room or talks in a funny voice.

All in all the hospital experience is awful the worst thing I have ever gone thru even though we were disharge early because she was doing so well the nursing staff where very judgemental and cold towards myself but the nicu nurses where very helpful but you knew when u left they would be talking. It was sad the nurses would do their meeting and I was there onetime and no one wanted to take care of my little one for that shift as she would be monitored more then other babies...

I would never have another baby on this medicine and I am currently weaned down to 12 mg a day and will be off this med before Sept. But if anyone has suggestion about breastfeeding and wd in babies please respond I am going crazy worrying about this!

Much appreciated

Post subject: Re: subutex delivery
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's too bad about your experience. My part of the country finally got it right, and now newborns of moms on buprenorphine leave almost always at the same time as other babies. Breast feeding has been recommended in a number of studies; if there is any withdrawal, breastfeeding lowers the severity. Several studies have validated the earlier studies, that about half of women will have babies that show sigs of withdrawal... and when it occurs it tends to be very mild.

I've been reading review articles in prep for a talk I am going soon-- and buprenorphine is not associated with any change in birth weight, size, head circumference, etc.

The biggest problem for my patients sounds similar to yours-- the attitude of the nurses. It is funny-- when they do studies that do not tell nurses which moms take buprenorphine, the nurses cannot tell the difference!

My first child-- born to a woman who never used opioids or other drugs-- could not breast feed. He couldn't get his tongue in the right place-- kept putting it on top of the nipple. He is an attorney now, about to start a great job.... but he couldn't figure THAT out.

Sneezing, yawning... it gets hard to tell which ones are 'abnormal', since they all sneeze and yawn at times....

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:48 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for your reply. I am worried about her becoming addicted the the suboxone in my breastmilk as I breastfeed. Is there a chance that this could happen? Have u heard of that? And would wd be intense and when would it start? Sorry I am going insane worrying about this I am I going Canada and even my dr cannot give me an answer. I cannot find any information on breastfeeding and withdrawals I have been breast feeding for six weeks and will be for 12 months but I am weining off I have dropped 2 mg aswell.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello there,I was doing singer reading on this subject and came across this article that I thought you may find some answers in, according to what I read the chances are slim that your baby will suffer withdrawals.

http://www.drugs.com/breastfeeding/buprenorphine.html

if I find anything else I will post it for you.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:41 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you! Yes I have read that aswell and I have done extensive research... It seems here in Canada not even the drs know if the baby will get sick.. I just wanted to know if anyone has breastfed on suboxone and their story, it would be much appreciated

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:52 pm 

I only have an educated guess from what I know of breastfeeding and sub.

First, suboxone is poorly digested in the digestive system except for when it's in the mouth. Your baby is swallowing during nursing and is not keeping milk in her mouth for any length of time. Therefore she is getting minimal exposure to sub.

Secondly, as time goes on and solid foods are introduced, your baby will be nursing less. This will continue until your baby is getting breast milk a couple times a day and then maybe only at night. If baby is getting some suboxone in her system, she will get less and less as she naturally weans over time. I believe that this will cause her to come off any sub she is exposed to very gradually and she won't experience withdrawals at the end of your nursing relationship with you.

I would continue breastfeeding for as long as you can! :) The benefits are so much more than the possibility of her having some discomfort later, which I don't think she'll even have.

Good luck with your sweet baby!

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

THank you all very much. Does anyone have a personal story about this