It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Subutex and Topamax
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:46 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Just curious if anyone here are on both of these meds and if so what are the pros and cons? Any info would be very helpful. I'm currently on subutex and I have terrible migraines. I have been considering Topamax to take for my migraines but not too sure about mixing.

Post subject: Re: Subutex and Topamax
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:57 pm 

What I know about topiramate (the generic of Topomax) is that it has properties that induce sedation to some extent. For addiction topiramate may be helpful in the reduction of impulsivity and the promotion of behavioral inhibition. So, my educated guess is that topiramate will enhance the use of subutex, and not react negatively with it. I don't know much about its use as a migraine medication, but I think that the combination will not be harmful. However, I am not a doctor and you should definitely consult with one to be sure.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:32 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey, if you want to treat your migraines quickly then I would like to suggest you to get the acupuncture in Mississauga. You know acupuncture is really an effective and most affordable treatment for migraines.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, that last post is a bit 'spam-ish'....

I'll leave it because someone passing through Ontario may be looking for someone to stick needles into his neck. But I removed your link. We need to have SOME standards around here!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:46 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have been having chronic migraines for years probably over 10 years now. I have been on generic Topamax two times now, the first time was in my early teens before I ever started suboxone or touched any drug. Both times I was prescribed it never helped my migraine frequency or severity whatsoever. After getting into recovery I realized how important it is to get this pain under control in order to maintain sobriety so my doctor thought we should give it another try to see if it would help at all. Never had any problems with taking it while also being on suboxone though.

I am tapering off of the Topiramate now after being on it for a year because for one its not helping and it is also causing my hair to fall out. If you google Topamax hair loss you will see many links about this side effect. Although it is not listed as a main side effect it is on there if you do some digging. There are also some side effects that a lot of people get such as fatigue, ringing in the ears, pins and needles in the hands and feet, trouble concentrating and memory loss..

Topamax is supposed to be a great migraine medication, but it doesn't work for everyone... Medications are not a "one size fits all". What works for some might not work for others. I hope you have a better experience than I did. Of course triptans like Imitrex and Maxalt help to take the migraine pain away but they don't always work. And if you take those too much they can cause rebound headaches. And it is also very beneficial if you can find a good preventative medication that works well for you. It may be trial and error with medications for a long time but once you find one that fits you, all the effort will seem worth it. Supplements such as magnesium, Riboflavin (B2), COenzyme Q10, 5-HTP, and the herbs feverfew and butterbur are all said to have some type of effect in preventing migraines and decreasing severity and frequency. I know how horrible migraines are. If you get them often enough they really affect your quality of life and it is depressing always being in pain! Good luck in your migraine treatment

P.S. I have been coming to this site for about a year as a guest and finally decided to become a member. :) I have learned so much from this site about recovery and so many things regarding suboxone which have answered a lot of the questions I've always had. I really respect what you guys do here, You're helping a lot of people!! :D

Jess

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:12 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Also for any migraine sufferers or people who get headaches frequently be very careful about how much ibuprofen and asprin you take... Check all OTC pain meds like Excedrin, Bayer, Aleve.. NSAID's tear up your stomach. I was taking ibuprofen so much that it caused erosion all over the lining of my stomach and was very close to becoming a bleeding ulcer. I was having really bad pain in the upper abdomen, near bottom of sternum. Burned all the time, I was throwing up daily and the pain felt like hunger pain. It was so painful it would wake me up at night. All the symptoms of a stomach ulcer. The ONLY thing that would help the pain was to eat something and get my belly full. I had to force myself to eat constantly just to make the pain bearable. But even after that the pain would come back full force shortly after. I had to take prescription Prilosec for 3 months to let my stomach heal. And I had very bad rebound headaches for a long time.

The stomach erosion was VERY painful. Just be careful how much OTC meds u take like ibuprofen or asprin and anything that includes either. They say Tylenol is easier on your stomach but its worse for your liver. So now I can only take Tylenol. But even then I try to take it only when I really need to because rebound headaches are no fun especially when you are already prone to migraines. And taking it everyday will give you no pain relief whatsoever. So be aware of how much ibuprofen/asprin you take, and how often you are taking it. I know us addicts like to bend the rules but there are warnings and directions on the bottle for your own safety! Hope this helps someone :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:36 pm 

Hey Jess thanks for sharing your info about this, I'm sure it'll help someone. Welcome to the forum also, we're glad u joined.

One thing that u talked about was the ibuprofen and how it's extremely hard on ur stomach. First of all, I take ibuprofen daily because of headaches and my legs cramp a lot. Last 7 months I've started waking up in the middle of the night vomiting. This has happened about 15 times in 7 months. I go to sleep feeling perfectly fine and out of nowhere...bam I get sick. Also I've noticed lately that I get pretty nauseous on and off during the day. It's not bad enough to vomit but it's bad. I have no insurance so I've not seen a Dr, but I'm convinced that it's from the ibuprofen tearing up my stomach. I just started prilosec about two weeks ago, so far so good but I don't know if it's that that's helping me or I've just not gotten another episode yet. Anyway, I just wanted to validate that yes, ibuprofen can be very bad for ur stomach. And I also wanted to welcome u to the forum :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:18 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey Jenn, you're doing the right thing by taking prilosec. If the lining of your stomach is tore up from NSAIDs like mine was, prilosec will help it heal. I know on the bottle it says take everyday for 2 weeks then stop, but if your stomach lining is damaged you probably need to take it a lot longer. It won't do any harm to your body, my dr had me taking it everyday for 3 months to ensure that my stomach would heal. My boyfriend has had terrible heartburn for years and his dr told him he will have to take it for the rest of his life to keep his esophagus and stomach healthy. So I know it can't be bad to take for a couple months if that's what you need to feel better. If you get a burning pain zantac may help temporarily, while also taking prilosec everyday. They are safe to take together, zantac is just used as needed. And try to cut out all NSAIDs if possible. I know Tylenol doesn't work as good as anti inflammatories but your stomach is just going to get worse if you keep taking it everyday. I hope u feel better soon!! I was throwing up just like you. The only way you will really know for sure what's wrong is if you can schedule an endoscopy, but without insurance the procedure is around $2,000. I really hope u feel better soon!! Keep taking the prilosec every morning and try to replace the ibuprofen with Tylenol. Let me know how you feel in a couple weeks I really think you have what I had it sounds like it! Take care, and thanks for welcoming me!! :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:27 pm 

Jenn, do you think that naproxen would work any better and not bother your stomach as much? I think it lasts longer than most formulations of ibuprofen too.

Jess, have you ever thought of trying the new botox "cure" available by prescription? I get migraines way too often, but I'm never trying botox. I think I am susceptible to nerve problems and disorders, so I don't dare mess with a neurotoxin injected into my face. I had Bell's Palsy in 2003 and I never care to go through that again if I can help it. Although Bell's Palsy is idiopathic, some medical experts think it happens when a certain facial nerve is irritated by the oral herpes virus. So many people have the oral herpes virus and many don't even know it. So my hypothesis is that people who develop Bell's have smaller than normal foremen (holes) in their skulls that the facial nerves pass through. Therefore, when the nerve becomes irritated and possibly swells a bit (?) that the nerve becomes impinged and cut off at the narrow point where the nerve passes through the skull.

I don't have many medical hypotheses in the works, but that is one of them. :)

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:31 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Naproxen is a NSAID too so be aware of how much and how often you're taking it. No, I have never had botox injections, my doctor has pretty much given up on trying to help me, we tried two preventatives and neither of them helped one bit. But I know that not all meds work for everyone, there are plenty of medications for migraine prevention she just stopped trying to help me. I'm just sick of always being in pain it is really affecting my quality of life and it is really depressing. And sometimes I feel as though my doctor is just blowing me off because I'm an addict, she thinks the pain isnt real or something. She is always pressuring me to get off suboxone even though I don't want to yet and have made that clear. She won't even give me a referral to see another neurologist. She is just a family Dr. When I was young my pediatric neurologist wanted to send me to Cleveland clinic I really wish I would've gone. So many tests and they can never find any answers. The only thing they ever said is that it looks like I have intracranial pressure. Like WELL NO S#!T I FEEL LIKE MY HEADS GONNA EXPLODE!! Lol I can't even describe the pain of my migraines it's the most painful thing I have ever experienced and I feel for anyone that gets them!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:12 pm 

Jess, I am so sorry that you are having so much pain. I wonder if dosing your sub differently would help. I have neck pain, TMJ disorder and arthritis, and migraines. One thing that helps on the days when I'm in pain is to dose with sub every 6 hours or so. The analgesic properties of sub only last 4 to 6 hours.

The other medication I sometimes take is Nucynta ER (extended release). It is a synthetic opioid that my sub doctor prescribes. It doesn't cause a high, but is very helpful with the pain.

I'm glad that you decided to start posting!

Amy