It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: subutex and pregnancy
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi my name is Ashley. I am a 28 year old mother of two, a 7yr old boy and 4yr old girl. I am also pregnant with another baby girl, due June 30th!! Aside from being a mom, I am also a recovering addict. I have been clean since January 27th 2011 with the help of a higher power, AA and suboxone ( subutex since being pregnant). My hopes for joining this forum is to talk to fellow addicts and moms that may be in a similiar situation. I have been getting increasingly worried about labor and delivery and how my newborn daughter is going to be affected :cry: I have heard that the withdrawal symptoms are less severe with subutex than methadone, so that is helping me a little. I wasn't on anything with my other children so this is uncharted territory for me. The hospitals policy is that she will have to stay for a min of 5 days, but average is 10-21!! yikes!! They do allow breastfeeding and actually encourage it, so I am happy about that. I am also worried about the epidural and other pain management. Anyone that can identify or has some experiance, strength and hope that they could share with me would be so helpful!! Thank you, and god bless :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:16 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

My daughter was just born May 19th, I was on subutex throughout my pregnancy also and I was taking 16-24mg a day by the end. My daughter was born at 38 weeks and 1 day and didnt have a single withdrawal symptom. We stayed 2 days in the hospital and were both discharged. She is now 6 days old and is still beautiful and healthy and withdrawal free. I couldnt get an epidural or intrathecal or any type of pain management for that matter because the hospital told me nothing would work because of the Sub. (I also delivered very quick so i wouldnt have had time to get anything even if it were to work) If you have any questions im happy to help if I can but dont just assume your daughter will withdrawal because most babies born on Sub dont. Good Luck!!

*Battles are fought everyday, some you win & some you lose..Addiction is a war & every second you're still alive you're winning that war..*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

That is so Amazing!! I'm so happy to hear that your daughter is doing so good :lol: thank you for responding. The nurse that I talked to at the hospital was the one that told me 10-21 days and that was for babies born on sub... She was very nice and non-judgmental which was good. I hope her averages are exaggerated though.... Hearing of your daughter gives me some hope! God bless you, and good luck with your precious little angel!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:33 pm 

There are lots of great stories in the Pregnancy and Suboxone section. I suggest posting your questions there for more specific information. It seems like different women have dealt in different ways with their pregnancies. Some have chosen not to bring up their sub use at the hospital, although their Dr. has known. Unfortunately, some nurses and staff react negatively to women on sub, while it hasn't been a big deal for others. However the hospital staff reacts, though, WE on the forum know that you are doing the best you can for your baby and yourself! I'm sure you're a good momma! Good luck!

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome and congrats on your upcoming family addition!!!

Dr. Junig has a whole section on his blog (Suboxone TalkZone) with posts related to pregnancy.

Here is the link to a list of those posts: I know they will give you a lot of information and should also make you feel better.

Good luck and again, welcome.

http://suboxonetalkzone.com/category/pregnancy/

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:57 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Please watch your baby though, alot of nurses and even doctors mistake normal newborn behavior for withdrawal. Be your baby's voice and speak up for her.. Like I said before, most babys do not withdrawal from Sub but can end up being put on morphine or something anyway just cause they're being scored wrong by doctors and nurses, watch her closely and educate yourself as much as possible now on NAS and babys so you have an idea on what to look for and whats normal.

*Battles are fought everyday, some you win & some you lose..Addiction is a war & every second you're still alive you're winning that war..*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 4:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thank you, and yes I have been looking online and reading tons of info on NAS. I do not want my daughter put on meds at all (unless she absolutely needs them). When I talked to the nurse from the hospital she did say that my baby will be with me which is good because I want her to be in a calm, quiet environment. I am nervous about when I have to be discharged and she has to be in the hospital nursery. I don't want them to score her higher just because she is stressed from all the lights, sounds of other babies and so on.... I am going to be able to stay for 3 nights, and then I am able to be in the nursery with her as much as I want. I am going to try to be there at all times because I want to be able to breastfeed every feeding. However if they keep her more than 5 days it is going to be very hard because I do have two other children that I don't want to neglect. Im just praying to be strong enough to handle any situation god presents to me and my family with dignity and grace. Thank you to everyon for their feedback and the link to Dr. Junigs articles. Next time I will post in the pregnancy section, I wasnt sure what I was doing when I posted this, lol.
~Ashley~

Post subject: god bless
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:25 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

you for doing something about your addiction, and I totally know that your drive is for your kids, family and you ! I admire that. Good luck AND CONGRATS on being a mom again !