It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi all,
I just found out 2 weeks ago that I am pregnant...huge shock, and unplanned! My semi-permanent birth control just didn't do the job! Anyway, I let my doctor know and he switched me from the suboxone films to generic subutex. I have always had horrible morning sickness with all my pregnancies and this time is no different. I'm having a very hard time taking my dose (16mg, 1 tab twice a day, as my doctor treats me for chronic pain as well as dependence). I can't keep much of anything down and when I try to dose it inevitably ends up with me throwing up within ten minutes or so. My OB is going to call a script for my nausea on Monday and hopefully that will help but the taste of the subutex is so foul to my over-sensitive taste buds and nose, I'm afraid I will still have problems. After a week and a half of this, I am starting to feel the difference in what I must be absorbing dose-wise and that is contributing, I think, to my feeling so poorly. Does anyone have any suggestions or anything that worked for them? I need to find a way to tolerate my dose, or at least enough of it to keep me stable. My morning sickness lasts all day and with my other pregnancies didn't start to ease until well into my fourth month, and I've got quite a way to go until then!

Thanks!
Mama

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:47 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

a few ideas....

chew ice before taking the buprenorphine. Be sure to spit out the water from the ice, as you don't want the dissolved buprenorphine too diluted... but ice will shut off your taste buds for a few minutes.

Take your buprenorphine with a tic tac, or with half a lifesaver-- your choice of taste!

There is little gained from swallowing the saliva from buprenorphine; dose for 15 minutes, don't swallow anything, then spit out the saliva.

Experiment with times of day; some will be worse than others.

If you like hot sauce, chew a hot chili pepper, or splash some pepper sauce on your palate-- that will block any taste from the buprenorphine.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:06 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Mamasita wrote:
Hi all,
I just found out 2 weeks ago that I am pregnant...huge shock, and unplanned! My semi-permanent birth control just didn't do the job! Anyway, I let my doctor know and he switched me from the suboxone films to generic subutex. I have always had horrible morning sickness with all my pregnancies and this time is no different. I'm having a very hard time taking my dose (16mg, 1 tab twice a day, as my doctor treats me for chronic pain as well as dependence). I can't keep much of anything down and when I try to dose it inevitably ends up with me throwing up within ten minutes or so. My OB is going to call a script for my nausea on Monday and hopefully that will help but the taste of the subutex is so foul to my over-sensitive taste buds and nose, I'm afraid I will still have problems. After a week and a half of this, I am starting to feel the difference in what I must be absorbing dose-wise and that is contributing, I think, to my feeling so poorly. Does anyone have any suggestions or anything that worked for them? I need to find a way to tolerate my dose, or at least enough of it to keep me stable. My morning sickness lasts all day and with my other pregnancies didn't start to ease until well into my fourth month, and I've got quite a way to go until then!

Thanks!
Mama

First off, congrats on the pregnancy! Your post sounds SO MUCH like my experience during my pregnancy. I had been on the brand name Suboxone (8mg/2mg) strips for about 5 months before I became pregnant and as soon as I found out, I alerted my Suboxone doctor about my pregnancy. My doctor continued me on the Suboxone but about two months later I requested to be switched to generic 8mg tablets of buprenorphine (with no naloxone). I requested it because not only did it cut down on the number of medication I was taking (one less thing to worry about) but I also COULD NOT stand the orange death flavor...just could not stomach it and would puke every single time I took it. In fact, the smell or sight alone was enough to send me running to the bathroom.

Once I was switched to the generic bupe, I tolerated it much better but was still queasy after taking it most of the time. I ended up dreading taking the bupe and finally asked my doctor to prescribe zofran. The Zofran definitely helped tremendously with the nausea and I only took one a day, an hour or so before I would take the bupe. Be warned though, Zofran can constipate you so you may want to think about taking stool softeners that are ok during pregnancy (if you don't already as we all know bupe can really back things up). Not to be gross but going to the bathroom was NO FUN, even with the softeners. I probably should have drank a lot more water than I did (and gotten more fiber) so that could have been a big reason for the trouble going number two.

Unfortunately, my nausea was a constant throughout my pregnancy but it did get much better towards the end.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:05 am 
New Poster
New Poster

suboxdoc wrote:
a few ideas....

chew ice before taking the buprenorphine. Be sure to spit out the water from the ice, as you don't want the dissolved buprenorphine too diluted... but ice will shut off your taste buds for a few minutes.

Take your buprenorphine with a tic tac, or with half a lifesaver-- your choice of taste!

There is little gained from swallowing the saliva from buprenorphine; dose for 15 minutes, don't swallow anything, then spit out the saliva.

Experiment with times of day; some will be worse than others.

If you like hot sauce, chew a hot chili pepper, or splash some pepper sauce on your palate-- that will block any taste from the buprenorphine.

I am pregnant now and while taking drugs I was also going through same situation given above and I was very worried about it but your tips really helped me out to be conscious while taking drugs and be ok so thanks for sharing these tips. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:16 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I noticed this trick on accident but it works very well, I always use mouthwash before I dose in order to maximize absorbtion and I noticed that If I spit out the mouthwash and then put the subutex under my tongue without swishing out the residual mouthwash with water first that I can't taste the subutex, all I taste is the menthol/mint taste of the mouthwash. Im real nauseated in the morning regularly so I know how much it sucks having to sit there and suck on a gritty bitter pill for 30 minutes on an empty nauseated stomach. Sometimes I'll get so dizzy/nauseated I'll have to lean over on my right side in the fetal position for 20 minutes or so until it passes otherwise I'll puke its pretty annoying. This only happens early in the morning if I didn't eat anything before dosing (which I have a bad habit of almost never doing)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:44 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I was sick for the whole nine months all day every day with all my pregnancies too. And when I took my sub I would throw up too. So what you're gonna have to do it either take zofran before your dose and eat a few saltines and sprite and then dose, or you're gonna have to do what I had to do- get put on a zofran pump and stick yourself every day and give yourself boluses. That's the only thing thing that made it to where I could finally dose and not get sick and I could eat and gain weight. It made my pregnancy beautiful like it should be.

I know the pain your going through. The biggest thing that bothers me about pregnancy and makes everything so much worse is that butterfly feeling where your whole body has it I can't explain it I know you know what I'm talking about, you just have an aura about you. And it made me sick a lot and uncomfortable. And that's the feeling I wanted to be over so bad. But good news after you have your baby it'll be better for you and baby.

Congrats on being pregnant and clean- wow what a blessing!!! You are clean :-D I don't know you but I'm so proud of you and it's always refreshing to find a clean mama! A mama who puts her babies first before her own desires and pain! Hang in there ok.

I was put on home health and a home health nurse came to my house regularly while I was pregnant to work with me cause I had to be on a pump. That's just what we gotta do when sick. But I also lost 25-30 lbs within 3 months or so of pregnancy by vomitting and that's never good. They want you to gain weight lol.

Lots of love
Kady

And let me know how you're doing either by shooting me a private message or on here please!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much for the replies! At 15 weeks +2, I still have debilitating nausea and vomitting, but I'm no stranger to this in pregnancy. Zofran and phenergan helps only a little but I seem to definitely have times that I can handle dosing better than others and I seem to be getting what I need.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:27 am 

I hope your nausea eases up soon, mamacita! I have friends who suffered their whole pregnancy, but that is very rare.

I have no idea if this trick would work during pregnancy or not, but it helped me in the dentist office. I have a really strong gag reflex, so the dental assistant would put a few grains of salt on the tip of my tongue right before the dentist would get to work. Could that work before you take the suboxone? I have no idea, but it might be worth a try???

Good luck!

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Mamasita,
I also had hyperemesis gravidarum where I threw up all day and night. I went from 125 lbs to 104 at my 2nd check up at about 16 weeks. I was hospitalized 7 times for it for dehydration and I can tell you what changed everything for me was ZOFRAN!!! I took it right when I woke without moving off the bed and then layed still for another 30 min or so. If I woke up to use the bathroom early I would usually throw up then take the zofran and lay back down. After 30 min you will be totally fine with no nausea at all. Its a life saver. I would take my sub after the zofran kicked in. Zofran is very safe and is even used in newborns with vomiting. So talk to your doctor. I had to take it the whole pregnancy up until he was born. I was throwing up while in labor! Yuck. I feel for you. I don't miss those days at all!! But the zofran allowed me to eat. I did have to take it every 4 hrs during the first and 2nd trimester (while awake) and I could take it twice a day and be ok during the 3rd.