It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So, I have been nursing my son since birth, about 6 months now, he had no issues with w/d anything like that.. he was a perfect happy health 9lb boy. So my sub dr kept me on subutex bc I was nursing... so 6 months goes by and today I get a call from him telling me I either "have to stop nursing or stop taking subutex" Ive told him many times before I plan to nurse beyond one year an let my son self wean himself from nursing....
he said he read a report saying it isn't good... but sucha minimal amount of subutex is passed thru breastmilk and sub isnt absorbed thru ingestion.... so Im thinking he is either pulling that info outve his ass... he hasnt been one to know very much about suboxone and treatment.. mostly a money maker...
anyways Im trying to figure out if he can legally do that... and just wtf! Things that have changed, I've been with him since he opened and charged 150 per month... so fast forward to today.. in two years he has increased him amount to 250.. he just increased it to 250 this month.. but bc i was here and have been a continued patient my fee is 150 still...
could he be trying to push me out so he can have room for another patient at 250...
it doesnt seem to be legal to me that he can just tell me I have to stop breastfeeding suddenly.. which I dont plan on doing.. or to quit taking subutex.. which I also dont plan on doing.. I wish he werent such a flake and knew what he was talking about....

any advice? My apt with him is tomorrow..well see how it goes.. or if he is even planning on writing me a script or just cutting me off.. Im freaking out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Gidgette,

I understand you're freaking out and I don't blame you. I would be too. But let's look at it from his point of view. This is what I've read online: "Buprenorphine and naloxone pass into breast milk and may be harmful to a nursing baby. Do not take this medication if you are breast-feeding a baby."

(Now I understand you are on Subutex, so naloxone isn't an issue.)

It sounds like for whatever reason your doctor didn't know this, but has recently learned about it. Yes, it's possible he wants a new patient that will pay more, but it's also possible that he wants the best for the baby. What if your child suffered adverse effects from the bupe? He could possibly be liable, which is always a concern for doctors.

Of all the pregnant women who have been through here and stayed on sub, I don't recall any of them breast-feeding while still on it. I hope one of them sees this and chimes in.

Have you done any research on your own about subutex/bupe and breast-feeding? You might want to consider that, because from what I've read it could be harmful for the baby. Now that said, I am NOT a doctor, this is just based on what I've learned over the years about sub.

I wish you the very best and I sincerely hope you can rectify this situation to everyone's satisfaction. Good luck and let us know what happens.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:25 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Oh my goodness yes. I've done hours and hours of research and have come to the conclusion that the benefits of breastfeeding far outweigh the risks. I also breastfed my oldest son for 22 months while on sub with no adverse effects. The reason for that is the amount of sub passed into breastmilk is minimal.. of that minimal amount excreted into the breastmilk, because of the oral bioavailability the amount babies are exposed to is like .005mcg... and because subutex is to be taken under the tongue and not ingested.. the effects arent on the baby because they ingest the small amounts that are in the breast milk...
do you understand? It's kinda hard to I guess and the thing Im hoping to to educate my dr as much as possible...
I definately did my research.. obviously had I known I was pregnant I wouldnt have been on the suboxone period... breastfeeding is better then not..
most of the stuff they put on the label.. like the stuff you posted are to cover the drs and distributors asses..Im hoping Dr Junig will chime in :)
I am in the process of looking for a DR more knowledgeable with suboxone treatment and I have found a LOT that accept insurance HOORAY!
I just wanted to understand my current dr's motives, if any. Idk.. I'm sure it's a liability thing.. I am not selfish enough to do something harmful to my baby.. I would give my life for his.. I am comforted knowing he will not experience ANY wd... I know some babies do when they are born.. but a lot of that is exaggerated by the biased dr's caring for the infants...
nothing a little motherly bonding and love can't comfort.. i was one of the fortunate ones as my son had no signs of nas..
I just wish more mothers were informed and knew that breastfeeding their children has life long benefits you cant give them any other way..
im gnna post this in the babies section too and hope for a better response

thanks!!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:26 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi I saw this thread while trying to find ways to increase my milk supply while on subutex. My doctors said the same thing about breastfeeding while taking it just all the sudden last week. I've done a lot of research on it before and after and found the same results as you about it not being harmful. The thing is all that research was done on women taking 8 mg max and most of them 4mg. I'm prescribed to 16mg a day and therefore I cut myself down to no more than 4 usually less a day. I've had trouble breastfeeding from the start and when my baby finally got to where he could latch on and feed now my milk supply is dwindling it has been happening slowly and I've tried everything. It does list this as a side effect of subutex. Now my question is what if anything can I do? I've pumped, stimulated, ect. And its still decreasing and slowing. Would an herbal supplement work while taking it? I'm no where near ready to stop and just left my sons father after over a year and a half am starting college and moved to a new town w my aunt. I'm doing my best to be a good mother and that is part of y I got on subutex. Is there anything I can do to increase my milk supply that I haven't done and aviod having to stop subutex? I want to do what's best for amy baby and myself.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:42 am 

I have heard that fenugreek and blessed thistle can both be very helpful to support or recharge your milk supply. I had a hard time getting my milk to come in after my son was born. My cousin came over with some malt from the health food store, mixed it up for me with some milk, and the next day my milk came in. I'm not sure it would help everyone, but it certainly helped me!

Amy