It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Subutex after pregnancy?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey all. Just wondering if anyone knows whether insurance will require me to go back to Suboxone once I deliver or just leave me on Subutex?
I'm with Blue Cross in Alabama and the way I understood it was only approved to swap to Subutex because I am pregnant. I am hoping to exclusively breastfeed for at least a year and wasn't sure if one was better than the other as far as that goes. I brought it up to my psychiatrist a few months ago, along with whether or not I can get back on Zoloft while nursing, (was on Zoloft prior to pregnancy and switched to Lexapro due to what I thought were adverse side effects of Zoloft. Was only on Lexapro for a month before I got pregnant so I just weaned off since it's not necessarily recommended during pregnancy) and he wasn't really sure (I'm evidently his first pregnant Suboxone patient). He recommended I ask our Pediatrician once the baby is here. I don't know if I really have a preference either way... the bupe tablets I get are not my favorite but they are cheaper! I only pay $15 after insurance picks up whatever it pays and I paid $45 for Suboxone strips before I swapped.
They don't break evenly, mostly just crumble, making it difficult to know what dosage I'm actually getting and I can't take a whole 8mg at a time because it takes FOREVER for it to dissolve! I can't even begin to guess how much I've wasted when I've had to spit out or swallow what didn't dissolve so I can talk (at work or I've just gotten tired of waiting).

Anyways. Main question was regarding whether insurance will require me to switch back to Suboxone once I'm no longer pregnant and fall under those requirements it has for approving it. If anyone has any info on that as well as resuming Zoloft following delivery I'd appreciate it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:08 pm 

It seems that some states are starting to require that only pregnant women can be on plain buprenorphine. In some states the Medicaid rules are that only pregnant women can be on plain buprenorphine. It stands to reason that some private insurance companies will start to require the same thing. So, unfortunately, we can't really answer your question. I would suggest that you look up your state rules and/or contact your insurance company.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:45 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yeah, that's kind of what led me to question it in the first place. My insurance authorizes buprenorphine during pregnancy or if buprenorphine with naloxone has been tried but not feasible for whatever reason for patient. Doesn't really matter too much either way for me. I actually don't care too much for the tablets and actually miss the film and ease of how quickly it dissolved. Have a friend in MS who was switched to bupe from suboxone during her pregnancy and is still on the straight buprenorphine and her daughter is like 4 years old... just didn't know if breastfeeding made a difference in which medication they preferred a patient stay on.