It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:18 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I've had chronic insomnia all of my life.

I recently turned 50 years old and I have been self-medicating with various substances since I was in my teens, and the last 25 years, I have been using opiates nearly every day.

I did a 10 year stint on MMT (1993-2003) and eventually tapered off but due to insomnia and some pain issues, I started self-medicating again.

I returned to the Methadone clinic last year, but they would not allow me any sleep meds, even Ambien, which I have been taking for years and the Methadone was making me sleepy 2+ hours after dosing in the AM, but by midnight, I was having problems falling asleep.

I had a peak and trough test done to show that I was a fast metabolizer which was already a known issue, but the clinic insisted that raising my dose would help with sleep, but it just made me nod a few hours after dosing and didn't help at night with sleep.

I've been on generic Subutex for the last 3+ months and the meds work great in addressing my depression issues and my cravings, but I can't get any sleep.

I've taken Ambien, Trazadone, Valium and others sedative type drugs and at times in large doses, but sleep is still an issue.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to have this problem, so what can be done for sleep issues?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Vico-Dan, welcome to the forum. I'm glad to hear that Subutex is working well for you - outside of your insomnia issue.

I know that buprenorphine can cause some people to have a hard time falling asleep - but from what you've posted it looks like your sleep issues predate your addiction and sub treatment. Do you dose more than once per day? I know that some people have found that taking their dose too late in the day causes insomnia. If you are dosing in the afternoon you could try taking your whole dose in the morning to see if that helps.

I have fibromyalgia and while I don't take any meds for it now, when I was first diagnosed my doctor put me on amitriptylene and cyclobenzaprine to help with sleep. Have you tried either of these medications? They are older antidepressant meds but are used in different doses for sleep. Cyclobenzaprine is also used as a muscle relaxant I think. They both knocked me out pretty well, but I didn't like the morning-after feeling.

Eventually I got over my insomnia by cutting out caffine, using meditation, and doing progressive relaxation exercises before bed. It took a while, but it worked.

That's about all I've got for you - hopefully some other members will have some other insight for you.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:26 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Me and sleep have been enemies since I was young. I've tired every thing you named, and them some, even antipsychotics. Nothing worked I would get a little tired lay down and it would soon get to the point I got sick of laying there and got up. I've had Doctors prescribe me benadryl and had some success with it, right now I'm on Vistaril which works good. For some reason subconsciously I fight going to sleep with other sleep aids, but the Vistaril is one of the few I can't fight off, even if I try I end up falling sleeping sitting up. So you might want to ask your Doctor about it, and may be even give it a try. That's just my opinion from someone else who finds sleep very hard to come by.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Vico-Dan. Unfortunately I can't offer anything new that hasn't already been said. But I wanted to add my support and welcome you to the forum. I confident you'll find this forum full of supportive and intelligent people. We're glad you found us. Normally I tell people how well Trazodone works for me, but as you said you've already tried that. Although I sometimes have trouble sleeping, I don't suffer from the deep insomnia that you're describing. I can only imagine how disturbing that can be. I hope some of the wonderful suggestions already given to you can lend a hand in your quest for sleep, specifically, I'm hoping that taking the sub earlier will help - it's a good idea. Again, welcome, and please keep us posted on how you're doing.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:16 am 
New Poster
New Poster

To Vico-dan....I just started sub 3 days ago, on my 3rd night now. I too can't sleep, never really had problems in the past but now it's terrible, even though only 3 days. Like the previous post, I tried vystaril/hydroxyzine tonight, and am nodding off somewhat. I did have to take 2 though. They were a low dose prescribed to my pregnant daughter so I don't figure they will hurt. I know it can be frustrating. Otherwise, I'm doing great on the sub, but almost feel like I'm speeding at times, maybe he's has me on too much. Anyway, hope things get better for you......