It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:35 am 
New Poster
New Poster

A couple days ago, I got really really sick - nasty cough, wheezing, stuffy/runny nose, achy, feverish - the type of sick that makes you want to die :cry: . I tried to just kick it with some DayQuil and nasal spray... Didn't even touch it. So after procrastinating all day, I got a Dr. to fit me in at 4pm (which was 15 min after I called).... Rushed down there and the Dr. told me I had bronchitis.... He gave me a nebulizer treatment, an inhaler and some antibiotics but he said that the best way to get rid of chest congestion is with a cough syrup with codeine.

Now, I'm not sure if I was just so sick and coughing that when they asked me what other meds I take, I said "none" (I feel like I would remember that though....) or that the Dr. was in a rush and forgot to ask/just went off my old chart (not judging/blaming, he was a sweet guy and was helpful) --- but I'm 99.8% sure that he doesn't know I take subs.

Anyways, let me wrap up my pointlessly long story with my question.... Can I take the cough medicine he prescribed me? It's "Hydrocodone Homatropine Syrup", qty is 200ML bottle, dosage is a teaspoon every 4 hrs for 10 days.

My sub dosage is two 8mg films a day, been on them for a long time.

I'm nervous to take it and get sick, but I want to take it so that my chest doesn't feel like it has rocks in it and I stop purring like a kitten!!!

Any help or advice is much appreciated!!I should prob just call the Dr and find out but I really would like to avoid that awkward "i'm on subs" convo!!! Thanks in advance!!!

Em

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:21 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey there Emcat! Just wanted to let you know that you are perfectly fine to go ahead and take it.
The "atropine" is added to it to discourage overdose and abuse.

http://www.drugs.com/pro/hydrocodone-an ... opine.html

I take the occassional lomotil every now and then for IBS. It is basically demerol, though it cannot be abused because of the atropine added to it. It basically makes you sick as hell. (sicker than you are now) It's just a deterrent for
abuse and overdose.

Read the link I posted if you want to be sure for yourself. But I would say, start taking that stuff and I
truly hop you feel better soon!!! Take Care~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Why would a doctor say that Codeine cough syrup is the best way to get rid of chest congestion? It does nothing for congestion, it's simply a cough suppressant. Your Sub will block the hydrocodone, and the homatrophine probably won't do much, but it can't hurt. Your best bet is making sure you finish the antibiotic. Hope you feel better.

F'ing spell correctors!! First it changed homatrophine to "hot atropine" and then to "homoerotic". WTF?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Actually have been learning about cough syrups that contain opiates in my understanding drugs class at school. Anyways its actually very successful in treating the common cold. I would first call your sub Dr and ask what he thinks. You can take with suboxone thats no problem but i dont know how well it will work.

Post subject: Another Lesson
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:54 pm 

Thanks Kelly for that information about Lomotil. I had no idea it was Demerol, no wonder my wife liked it years ago when she had almost the same thing. So now they add a component to stop abuse? I'm going to go learn some more from your post. Thanks!

emcat,

What everyone said is correct. Your Sub will block the hydro in it but you won't get sick so don't worry about that one. Be a good patient and finish the antibiotics completely.

Hope you get rid of that nasty cough!

Rule

Post subject: Atropine
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:12 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I hope you are already feeling better !

I was thinking that the word "atropine" was derived from the name of the Greek Goddess : "Atropis" which means,

"She who cuts the threads of life"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Actually, it's not Demerol. It's closely related to Demerol without the pain relieving properties.