It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Subs and Diabetes
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

March 30th I took my last Oxycontin/oxycodone dose (40+30) and started the Subutex on the morning of April 1st.

I inducted to 16mg, and dropped to 2mg within 22 days. I've managed to get down to about 1.5mg as of today, and after reading Diary of a Quitter, I am definitely going to use the liquid taper method and drop 10% every ten days, due to general health issues.

Prior to the change to Subutex, my type II diabtetes was being very controlled with oral meds, and exercise, but ever since, my blood glucose levels have been running between 299 (the lowest) and 482 (the highest) averaging 350-380.

Has anyone else with diabetes had a similar reaction?

I had to get a new doc, and the only one I could find, even after I told him about the blood glucose levels, sent me off down the road for almost a month doing NOTHING about the blood glucose levels, saying only (with no tests or lab results) though I told him the A1c was 10.1, saying my pancreas had shut down and I needed to get on insulin.

Since these doctors don't seem to feel any need to research the buprenorphine (most of them say "what???") I have to turn to the best website and the best people on the net to get some real answers myself.

Even though I know Dr. Jeff on a different basis than medical, I HATE to ask him medical questions. As a writer I have met and made friends with a number of lawyers (have to check with "legal" when writing for a newspaper) over a great many lunches, meetings or what have you, it is a recurrent theme that so many of their "friends" always try to get free legal advice, and it does bother them. That's why I hate to bug Dr. Junig.

Anyway, thanks in advance for you guys and this forum.

Humbly,

Vin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm not diabetic, so I can't answer your question. But I thought I'd post and say Hi.

So, Hi :D

Maybe one of the other members here has experience in this area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:53 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi there. I'm diabetic. I was diagnosed July 2006 and was on Metformin for awhile till I became preg in 07 then they started me on insulin. After my pregnancy I went back on Metformin. Once I started on sub my sugars became very high. They tried me on many different pills and then a couple months ago they finally put me on insulin in addition to my metformin (I was losing a crap load of weight and my A1C's were between 9 and 10. I went from being 170 lbs when I started the sub and now down to 135lbs, Im 5'9"). I have always wondered and thought that the sub was making my sugars worse. I have no idea if that actually the case b/c diabetes runs in my family. My mom started on insulin at age 32 (Im 29), so it's either the sub or the fact that it just runs in my family and it was inevitable I would end up with bad sugars like that. So, not sure, but I'd venture a guess that the sub has something to do with it. I'm curious to hear from other diabetics.