It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:26 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Funny this topic came up, because I was also just prescribed adderall. I had a regular doc appt, and told him I was concerned about my job because I have been very spacy at work for the last year or so. I am an underperformer at work and I know it. Sometimes I find myself surfing the web all day, stuff like that. Anyway, he prescribed adderall, 10mg per day, and it has been a god send. I am now focused and able to do my job.

I also did not tell my sub doc. I had been on adderall about a month when I had a sub doc appt. I never know when they are going to do a UA, and this time they did. However, when they went over the list of meds I was on, they mentioned the adderall. How did they know? Well in this area they are instituting a web based prescription application that logs prescriptions from any doctor under my name. So when they said "adderall?" I said yes, and it was no big deal.

When I finally saw the doc, I asked about it, and the doc said it is not uncommon for people recovering from opiate addiction to have problems focusing and staying on task. I asked if I should have got help through them, and she said no, she was perfectly fine with my regular doc prescribing it.

I frankly don't know if my regular doc knows about my suboxone prescription. I try to tell him, but never have the guts. At our last appt, the nurse was going through my meds and asked if I was taking clonidine, because she saw the script in that computer program. If they saw that, they also saw the sub, but didn't mention it. If he mentions it next time, I will tell him the truth and tell him the sub doc approves of my adderall use and go from there. I have no doubt now I could get it from my sub doc if necessary.

Adderall has possibly saved my job and in doing so saved my family as well. I have been able to maintain a sloooow sub taper and I owe it to the adderall. Is it addictive? Maybe, but I don't give a shit. I have come to realize I have probably f'ed up my brain for good with my heavy pot use in my younger days and then my opiate addiction. If it takes a couple prescribed meds to live a happy life, so be it.

In short, I love adderall and what it has done for me. I have not felt the need to self medicate by increasing the dose. It makes me feel like a normal human at work, maybe because it offsets some of the sub side effects, or fixes my broken brain. If anyone wants to judge it negatively, they can f off because people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Regards,
Jimmy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Jimmy wrote:
If it takes a couple prescribed meds to live a happy life, so be it.

I like your attitude, Jimmy! I believe the same thing. Thanks for sharing your story with me. I'm seeing both docs this week. I'm going to talk to reg doc about extended release adderall because IR only lasts about 3 hours for me, I crash a little, and then go right back to not being able to pay attention to my favorite shows without drifting off into my own head. Hopefully XR will work better. I'll update here what happens with both of them.