It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: suboxone withdrawls
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:27 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

BeautifulDisaster, I am happy to hear that you are trying to figure out a way to get into suboxone therapy with your own doctor. I will have all my digits crossed for you :) I sincerely hope you can find a resolution to that soon. As far as them disqualifying you as a patient..... I guess that would really depend on the doctors personal feelings about how you have been obtaining your subs. Suboxone doctors KNOW we are addicts though otherwise we would'nt be coming in to see them for suboxone to begin with so if I were in your situation and I found a sub doc I wouldnt take any chances on them assuming you have been abusing suboxone by obtaining it on the street so I would not lie but i would not spill all the beans at first. Get in with your doctor really good before you tell the whole story. Usually they will want you to be in minor withdrawals when you come to your first visit to be inducted, so make sure to stop your subs at least three days before your appt, so you will be in some withdrawals. tell them about your original drug of choice and that you have been addicted to it for however long you were, and if they ask if you have ever tried suboxone before do NOT LIE they have tests to specifically test for bupe. just say yes a friend of mine is in therapy and has been encouraging me to get into sub therapy so I did take a suboxone from her to see if it would help me. Then explain that when you noticed how it took all your cravings away you knew you needed to get into treatment right away. leave it at that. Then when the time is right and you have been seeing your doc for a few months and they give you a chance or ask you to tell your story then you can fess up that you got them from a friend for a while after you found out they worked so well for you until you were able to get in to see a doctor for a script. does this make sense? I hope I explained that right....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I hate the fact that this medicine is so expensive that addicts have to buy a prescription illegally just to treat their addiction. So many addicts will die because of the price of Suboxone and the doctors and therapy that goes with it are too expensive for some.

I think that totally sucks because, you seem to really want to get off opiates and start a sub program but are unable to because of the price.

Sorry about my rant, I just get so pissed when i see how hard it is for some people to get HELP. Keep bugging the treatment doctors to get on the free med program and I hope you find your medication more reasonable in the future

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This is very true. Addicts will die because of the expensive price's.

But.

Many other horrible diseases have incredibly expensive treatments also. Like cancer and such.

So. It's not exclusive to addiction to opiates.

I guess it is in the fact that if an addict dies... Nobody seems to really care that much but us.

Just a tad bit. I thought about.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:11 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks for that, thegreateistilove. It really means alot to me! I think my journey to my own sub therapy will end once o get a better paying job. Ive been stuck at a crappy one for awhile now. I used to have a good paying job but, active addiction helped me lose that. I havent been looking for one as hard as I should, ive sorta become complacent and depressed with my situation. Im gonna change that though, tomorrow im going to register with the job placement service, prob check put the help wanted section as well. I gotta do something in the meantime, if i better myself i will have a better chance on getting in treatment. I have been thinking about joining a 12-step group in the meantime as well, because they are a free tool i can use in the meantime until i find my way into treatment(ill would prob continue to go after as well). I have this feeling though (and maybe im beeing silly) that i wont be welcomed because of my situation.

That was really great advice you gave, not spilling the beans all at once. That way im not lying but at the same time wont be denied treatment.

Thanks for you kind words and enpathy raudy, it really bothers me how hard it is for some to get treatment as well.

If.my whole life completly fell apart, if i dodnt jave a job, it would probably be alot easier to get treatment. But because i have a job i make too much for medicaid or whatever insurance. why does everything HAVE to fall apart before i can get help? I wish i could just get the help i need now before everything falls apart. All i can do to help myself is just try amd better myself to make treatment more obtainable

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:09 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

There is no way around it that drug addiction, especially to opiates, is a serious problem and life threatening. The conditions of treatment isn't ideal and extremely hard to manage financially. There is no simple way to get clean from these powerful drugs that controlled our lives for years that deprived us from living a happy life.

Unlike addictions to hard drugs like cocaine and meth, we do have a drug like suboxone that assists us in recovery making the withdrawal symptoms more manageable. Getting over this awful disease takes incredible dedication and requires you to put your sobriety above all else. Unfortunately we addicts are looked down upon by the majority of society but we've got to overcome this fact by doing whatever is necessary. Although it hurts me to know that a lot of people in need are dying because they can't access suboxone, but I am glad to know the drug is out there and is saving people.

Hopefully the generics will be able to offer those who cannot afford the strips some aid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

And...I hope that all medical doctors will soon be able to prescribe suboxone. to addicts seeking help. Going to "sub approved" doctors is pricey

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:57 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I have been in therapy for almost three years now. I have a great relationship with my psychiatrist. I do not fail drug screens. I have never used drugs intraveneously and she knows I have always used my subs properly. Each time I have tapered I have done well. However although I have no insurance and have to struggle every month to pay for my meds and have to ask help from my Daddy to pay for my visits with her albeit they are now few as she writes scripts for me that have several refills and I do not have to see her every month, she still will not prescribe subutex. It costs a quarter of the amount of brand suboxone, but despite that fact she ONLY prescribes the name brand suboxone. It does make things much harder in order for me to fill my scrips because the costs are outrageous, but somehow I have managed so far. I agree with the people on here posting about how horrible it is that so many people stay in active addiction because athough they may have the desire to get into sub therapy they just cannot afford it. It is so sad that so many addicts will continue suffering and some will even die because these meds are too expensive. I believe that any med that helps save lives should be made affordable by law. That way any addict with the desire to get clean will have the option of using suboxone as an aid in their recovery. I hope that as more time goes by and more doctors become better educated on the benefits of suboxone therapy that things will change and suboxone will be made affordable. I do have my doubts though because look at the outrageous price of in- patient therapy for addicts, any rehab program can cost thousands for the addicts who choose to go that route. Rehabs have been around for centuries and their costs just keep rising, so it does'nt give me much hope that it will be any different with suboxone therapy but I do still hold out some hope. Particularly in the area of doctors becoming better educated about suboxone vs subutex. The two drugs are basically identical. Suboxone CAN and is abused by people everyday. The negligable amount of naloxone which has no effect when the drug is taken correctly does not make it any better or safer for addicts than subutex. If more doctors would realize this, or stop relying on their kick backs from the drug company for prescribing their name brand suboxone exclusively in their practices, many more people would be able to get the help they so desperately need, and so many of us already in suboxone therapy would have the option of subutex which would save us thousands of dollars on our prescriptions. One more important point..... More patients would also sick with sub therapy for longer giving them more time to get their lives straightened out if the meds were made affordable. I know so many people who have entered therapy with the best intentions only to go right back to their drug of choice a few months later when they can no longer afford the high prices of suboxone. Some of those people are dead now....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:13 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

There is now genric buprenorphine and naloxone thegreatistislove...i dont know how different the prices are for out of pocket costs, but maybe its something you could bring up to your sub doc.

I just learned yesterday that a new clinic is being built right in my town...so im hoping since it will be new the patient assistance program will not be filled up yet and if i act quickly i can be one of the luckey 3 people that can get the patient assistance program.

Something i noticed is i have watched people who are prescribed suboxone legitamitly not even desire recovery. They sell most of their script and spend the money on their doc...only use the subs to avoid wd when they cant find anything else or the week before their next appointment. It ticks me off a little bit because i would LOVE to have my own sub therapy.