It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:25 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am going through a rough patch with my (ex) lover and as with most people in a complicated relationship, the other person seems to zap the happy energy out of you most days. I have given zoloft a try many years ago, before my addiction even began. It seemed to give me energy in the mornings rather than make me tired. I stopped taking it after just about a month however, because I just didn't feel like I needed it anymore. I am aware now though, that this could have just been the medicine actually working, leading to my reasoning believing that I didn't need it anymore.

I have never tried buspar before, but hear many mixed results. I often dive deep into the pharmacological aspect of medications and drugs, to get a good sense of how something might be affecting me..However, I know that personal anecdotes can contradict a certain drug's pharmacological properties.

So what is everyone's personal experience with zoloft and/or buspar when taken with your suboxone? or even without the suboxone?

EDIT: and just a quick side note that, zoloft has been prescribed by my sub doctor, but also suggested I be put on buspar in replace of gabapentin for my anxiety.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:23 am 

Hi Chicken, Welcome! I am sorry that I don't have any answers for you. I know that there are people here who have or are taking antidepressants with suboxone. Hopefully, someone with experience with this will respond soon! Just wanted to welcome you! Please stick around and let us know how you are!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

All of the SSRI's treat anxiety by reducing 'obsessions'. I think of them as reducing the obsessive negative thoughts, e.g. 'woe is me, woe is me, woe is me....' to allow more-positive thoughts to enter the stream of consciousness. I am never impressed by the happiness people get from SSRI's EXCEPT for two things--- first, when they are first started, there is a brief 'serotonin buzz' in some people that provides a boost of mood. It may even just be the placebo effect... but ever time it is replaced by feeling 'normal', but with less obsessive quality to the thoughts.

The other time when I see happiness with SSRIs is when they are combined with a low dose of Abilify-- about 2-5 mg per day. I've seen that combination eliminate tears very quickly-- in just a few days after adding the Abilify. It is an expensive med, and requires a PA from most insurers.... but it can really do wonders in true depression.

Buspar is indicated for treating all sorts of anxiety disorders, and is also used to augment antidepressants. Most psychiatrists see it as a placebo drug that is safe, but rarely seems to provide much benefit. But every now and then I'll have a patient claim that buspar really helped. It works through serotonin too, but in a more-complicated way... and while you take it 2-3 times per day, it doesn't work 'as needed', but rather must be taken continually, and then starts working after a week or so.

Good luck!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:35 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I started suboxone about three weeks ago and have been on buspar, zoloft, and abilify for almost 6 months. My mood and anxiety greatly improved when I started taking the zoloft, abilify and buspar together, and suboxone just added to it. I have been feeling very positive, confident, friendly, and energized since adding suboxone to my other medications. I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety 5 years ago and started abusing norcos, oxycontin, and heroin because they made me happy and carefree. But suboxone has made me not miss the painkillers at all! I never thought I could live life without them. I have also tried gabapentin, vistiril, and promethazine for anxiety and did not get as good of results. I have also been on pristiq, effexor, lexapro, and cymbalta for depression, but did not see results. I understand every person responds differently to medication, but I highly recommend zoloft, buspar, abilify, and suboxone together!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:01 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for following up-- it is always helpful when people do that!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:14 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

i learn so much here! i always thought buspar was a benzo like xanax. it seems to have the same effect as xanax for me, but cause restless leg syndrome which is terrible!
sounds like a good substitute for xanax though since subs and benzos are frowned upon together.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:09 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello Chicken, Welcome…I never used zoloft but buspar seems to work with the anxiety and mood swings.